• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most in new poll want to end justices' lifetime appointments

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

4/18/21
Nearly two-thirds of all U.S. adults surveyed in a new poll said that they believe that Supreme Court justices should face term limits and leave the court after a certain amount of time on the bench. The Reuters/Ipsos survey conducted between April 15-16 found that just 22 percent of respondents support lifetime appointments for Supreme Court justices, while 63 percent support term limits. The remainder had no opinion or were unsure. In the new Reuters/Ipsos survey, many Americans expressed a lack of confidence in the court and just 49 percent said they had a "great deal" or a "fair amount" of confidence in its decisions, though that percentage was higher than what was registered for the respondents who had confidence had in the White House or members of Congress.

With a 6-3 conservative majority, the SCOTUS has become a political creature and reforms are necessary to prevent the court from becoming a rubber stamp factory for the Republican party.

With a 6-3 conservative majority, the SCOTUS has become a political creature and reforms are necessary to prevent the court from becoming a rubber stamp factory for the Republican party.
Personally, I have confidence in my Conservative Justices, we will have to see who lets me down first, the Democrats or the SCOTUS.

To me Justices should be Conservative, who ever heard of a liberal Justice?

But I could be wrong.

Stack that Court, thirteen Justices and slap on term limits.

You got two-thirds that already know it.

I would actually support expanding the SC before I would support Term limits and I really don't favor either.

"Most Americans" don't have any earthly idea how Judges or Justices process information or form Opinions. Even the most whacked out politicized Justice we have at present, Thomas can be rather opaque in many instances.

This is one instance when I am not much motivated by what "Most Americans" think.

I would actually support expanding the SC before I would support Term limits and I really don't favor either.

"Most Americans" don't have any earthly idea how Judges or Justices process information or form Opinions. Even the most whacked out politicized Justice we have at present, Thomas can be rather opaque in many instances.

This is one instance when I am not much motivated by what "Most Americans" think.
I'd say get your infrastructure bill passed, then deal with the Trump tax structure.

Calling Roberts a conservative is a laugh.

I'd say get your infrastructure bill passed, then deal with the Trump tax structure.
I actually think the current plan is to accomplish Infrastructure and revisions to the current Tax Code at the same time with one paying for the other.

Just great.. polling idiots who think it's a good to change the lifetime Appointments
of Supreme court justices.

The Democrats want to have absolute control so that is why the media will push this nonsense.

Head shake!

I actually think the current plan is to accomplish Infrastructure and revisions to the current Tax Code at the same time with one paying for the other.
That's great, but they got to pay for more than infrastructure, we've got a Trillion dollar a year deficit.

That is why I say, "Gouge the rich, gouge the middle class, gouge the poor, what better could they invest in than their Government?"

One of the most important cornerstones of a liberal democracy is the understanding that there is not a permanent consensus. Governments change. Conservatives have given up on this to the point that they have contrived to give us a court that's looking at 80 straight years of conservatism. It violates our most basic democratic principles. So it is their actions that have brought us to this.

We need a totally new constitution to replace the archaic one that was written in the 1700 hundreds which would include a supreme court if so envisioned. The root of the problem is laws should be written in such a way that the average reasonable citizen can read them and understand what they mean. The supreme court today is way too political and anybody the believes that a corporation is a person (citizens united) is nuts. The supreme court is supposed to rule based on our constitution, whether something is legal or not. The archaic constitution doesn't and cannot in specifics address the newest technology that wasn't around in the 1700 hundreds. If you as an individual has read in your state the provisions of a new law that they want enacted, with the exact legalese, I dare somebody to tell what the damn thing says and means. Lawyers are masters of obsfucation and at times I believe the quote attributed to Shakespeare "kill all the lawyers" was prescient. Adding more judges won't solve the problem only a new constitution will.

Add more judges, limit everyone's terms.

Back
Top Bottom