• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most Governors Facing Re-Election This Year Are Quite Popular

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
BY ELI YOKLEY
April 28, 2022 at 5:00 am ET
Most governors facing re-election in November are beginning the year popular with voters in their states, according to Morning Consult Political Intelligence quarterly tracking. And despite declines over the past year, a handful of Republicans among them are some of the most-liked governors in the country.

governors-job-performance-220426_v3.png

America’s most popular and unpopular governors​

• With approval ratings above 70%, Republican Govs. Charlie Baker of Massachusetts, Phil Scott of Vermont and Larry Hogan of Maryland are America’s most popular governors. Scott, who is the only member of that trio who may seek re-election this year, has seen his approval rating fall from 84% in the first quarter of 2021 to 72% in the first quarter of 2022.
  • Not a single Democrat ranked among the 10 most popular governors, but Kentucky’s Andy Beshear came close. Ahead of his re-election campaign next year, 59% of Kentucky voters approve of Beshear’s job performance, while 36% disapprove, making him the most popular Democratic governor in the country.
  • Facing 54% disapproval, Democrat Kate Brown of Oregon is America’s most unpopular governor, followed by Hawaii Democrat David Ige, who’s unpopular with half of the electorate in The Aloha State.
  • 2022’s lone addition to the ranks of governors, Republican Glenn Youngkin of Virginia, is favored by 51% of voters in his state, while 35% disapprove of his job performance.
For Morning Consult’s state-level survey data, weights are applied to each state separately based on age, gender, education, race, home ownership, marital status, presidential voting history and — for a subset of states — race by education as well as an age-by-gender interaction.

Margins of error for responses from all voters in each state range from 1 to 5 points. For more detailed information, you can download the 50-state dataset for governors’ approval ratings among all voters
here.

A new Marquette poll out of Wisconsin has Gov. Evers at +6 approval though:

Polls are tricky.
Many different ways to interpret them.
I think re-election chances depend as much on the opponent as the incumbent's approval rating.
Take Gavin Newsom....please......I really find the guy to be......off-putting.
Yet, if his opponent is a Larry Elder type, I'll reluctantly vote for Newsom.
I hate politics.

Polls are tricky.
Many different ways to interpret them.
I think re-election chances depend as much on the opponent as the incumbent's approval rating.
Take Gavin Newsom....please......I really find the guy to be......off-putting.
Yet, if his opponent is a Larry Elder type, I'll reluctantly vote for Newsom.
I hate politics.
You did the right thing.

BY ELI YOKLEY
April 28, 2022 at 5:00 am ET
Most governors facing re-election in November are beginning the year popular with voters in their states, according to Morning Consult Political Intelligence quarterly tracking. And despite declines over the past year, a handful of Republicans among them are some of the most-liked governors in the country.

America’s most popular and unpopular governors​

• With approval ratings above 70%, Republican Govs. Charlie Baker of Massachusetts, Phil Scott of Vermont and Larry Hogan of Maryland are America’s most popular governors. Scott, who is the only member of that trio who may seek re-election this year, has seen his approval rating fall from 84% in the first quarter of 2021 to 72% in the first quarter of 2022.
  • Not a single Democrat ranked among the 10 most popular governors, but Kentucky’s Andy Beshear came close. Ahead of his re-election campaign next year, 59% of Kentucky voters approve of Beshear’s job performance, while 36% disapprove, making him the most popular Democratic governor in the country.
  • Facing 54% disapproval, Democrat Kate Brown of Oregon is America’s most unpopular governor, followed by Hawaii Democrat David Ige, who’s unpopular with half of the electorate in The Aloha State.
  • 2022’s lone addition to the ranks of governors, Republican Glenn Youngkin of Virginia, is favored by 51% of voters in his state, while 35% disapprove of his job performance.
For Morning Consult’s state-level survey data, weights are applied to each state separately based on age, gender, education, race, home ownership, marital status, presidential voting history and — for a subset of states — race by education as well as an age-by-gender interaction.

Margins of error for responses from all voters in each state range from 1 to 5 points. For more detailed information, you can download the 50-state dataset for governors’ approval ratings among all voters
here.

I'm surprised that New Mexico's governor has that high of an approval. I have a lot of family there, and most people are furious about how the state handled the school closures. They kept the schools closed even when the state met milestones set for re-opening. Schools weren't allowed to fully re-open until April 5, 2022, even if the local district wanted to do so. (Yes, that's this month - two years after the lockdown).

Back
Top Bottom