• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most Glaring Absence in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Most glaring absence from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Total voters
John Prine and Devo are on the ballot for this year. I'd definitely vote for Prine even though he's not what I'd consider "rock and roll". Devo was actually a pretty talented band that managed to get overshadowed by their costumes and antics.

Other nominees for this year include Kraftwerk, Janet Jackson, Radiohead, LL Cool J, MC5 and Def Leppard. I mean, I have no idea what the standard is to get into the hall but those groups, while popular in their niches, just never really broke any new ground.

MC-5 was unique. I don't know if NWA (which is in) should be in-so should the MC-5

If a group is worthy of admission to the Rock Hall on the strength of a single song it would be Procal Harum and Whiter Shade of Pale. That song comes on the radio and the world has to pause while I listen. The band has probably played the song a thousand times over the last 50 years, but here is the best version I have heard:

I think the Hall has a new section for songs-I think I heard Steppenwolf (another arguable absence) Magic Carpet Ride was in. SO should WSP though I believe PH was cutting edge and the skills of Booker and say Trower argue for admission.

Nilsson was the Beatles favorite....and this song is just such a great tribute.

I think Frampton belongs on the list.

There also need to be some psychedelic bands such as Fever Tree or Blue Cheer.

Yep, along with Humble Pie.

Last edited:
What do you think is the most obvious absence?

Don't really pay too much attention to the Rock and Roll HOF but very surprised Ian Anderson and company aren't in. They have an Oscar though. LOL! Something about heavy metal. I can't believe he doesn't like Hymn 43. One of my favorite tunes.

Don't really pay too much attention to the Rock and Roll HOF but very surprised Ian Anderson and company aren't in. They have an Oscar though. LOL! Something about heavy metal. I can't believe he doesn't like Hymn 43. One of my favorite tunes.

they won a grammy for hard rock OR Metal rock-I believe over Metallica but lots of critics forgot the category wasn't limited to metal and having seen Tull a few times, they certainly could rock hard when they wanted to. I think when people bash how silly the R&R HOF is towards progressive rock-Tull is the argument they use

in every possible category-longevity, records sold, innovation (Anderson made the flute cool for Rock) and technical skill (Martin Barre's solo on Aqualung is ranked up there with Page on Stairway to Heaven) -JT is way ahead of inductees such as the Cars or Cheap Trick

I went to Cleveland a few years back with a friend. The RRHOF was a must see. My best memory was a wall where there were about a half-dozen computer screens and headsets. You could dial up any song that you could think of and it was cued up in short order. I can’t remember how much time we spent there........oh and Trabants hanging from the ceiling....

What do you think is the most obvious absence?

Take it to the streets, what a fool believes, listen to the music...The Doobie Brothers!
No better group from the seventies!

they won a grammy for hard rock OR Metal rock-I believe over Metallica but lots of critics forgot the category wasn't limited to metal and having seen Tull a few times, they certainly could rock hard when they wanted to. I think when people bash how silly the R&R HOF is towards progressive rock-Tull is the argument they use

in every possible category-longevity, records sold, innovation (Anderson made the flute cool for Rock) and technical skill (Martin Barre's solo on Aqualung is ranked up there with Page on Stairway to Heaven) -JT is way ahead of inductees such as the Cars or Cheap Trick

The Cars are a joke when compared to JT. Songs from the woods is kind of progressive. It doesn't get any better than a heavy metal flute!

Wow, I'm now reelin' from the news that all those great groups are not represented. I never played that close attention to know that.

Wow, I'm now reelin' from the news that all those great groups are not represented. I never played that close attention to know that.

maybe I should do one on the biggest jokes in the hall of fame. I have nothing against Cheap Trick or NWA or Roxy Music, or Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac certainly deserves to be in there) but to say Nicks is more deserving as a solo artist than say Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, the Firm) or Greg Lake (King Crimson,Emerson Lake and Palmer) or Warren Zevon, is pretty bad. Same with Cheap Trick being ahead of Tull or Bad Co, or Procul Harum

John Prine and Devo are on the ballot for this year. I'd definitely vote for Prine even though he's not what I'd consider "rock and roll". Devo was actually a pretty talented band that managed to get overshadowed by their costumes and antics.

Other nominees for this year include Kraftwerk, Janet Jackson, Radiohead, LL Cool J, MC5 and Def Leppard. I mean, I have no idea what the standard is to get into the hall but those groups, while popular in their niches, just never really broke any new ground.
I think it might be fair to consider Kraftwerk as exploring/expanding a creative niche. But agree the rest are commercial white bread ...

If a group is worthy of admission to the Rock Hall on the strength of a single song it would be Procal Harum and Whiter Shade of Pale. That song comes on the radio and the world has to pause while I listen. The band has probably played the song a thousand times over the last 50 years, but here is the best version I have heard:

Agreed. And that's exactly how I feel about the King Crimson album, in album terms. After Darkside of the Moon, I can't think of many other albums that have as much artistic import as a seamless self-contained whole.

Come on.....Abba is in the HOF.

The freaking Eagles are in the HOF......and to make it more nauseating, Jimmy Buffet did the induction speech.

The dude is not happy.

Because he is an overrated guitar player?

Ted Nugent is to music as Gallagher is to comedy.

Pure <expletive deleted>

Come on.....Abba is in the HOF.

The freaking Eagles are in the HOF......and to make it more nauseating, Jimmy Buffet did the induction speech.

The dude is not happy.

Might as well admit the Blue Man Group.

Take it to the streets, what a fool believes, listen to the music...The Doobie Brothers!
No better group from the seventies!
Even though I voted for King Crimson due to an affinity for their album, I've got to admit that of those on Turtle's list, the Doobies are the most obvious choice in terms of commercial success.

Yep. Hard to argue with Steve Marriott. An awful lot of soul, in that skinny white boy from across the pond.

I believe he is in the HOF for his work with Small Faces. one of the great rock frontmen in history

Even though I voted for King Crimson due to an affinity for their album, I've got to admit that of those on Turtle's list, the Doobies are the most obvious choice in terms of commercial success.

I think Tull was more successful commercially and lasted a lot longer

another great band I should have added-one of the top pure hard rock bands

Mountain-and on top of that-their bassist- Felix Pappalardi produced some of CREAMs best works including "Disraeli Gears"

maybe I should do one on the biggest jokes in the hall of fame. I have nothing against Cheap Trick or NWA or Roxy Music, or Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac certainly deserves to be in there) but to say Nicks is more deserving as a solo artist than say Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, the Firm) or Greg Lake (King Crimson,Emerson Lake and Palmer) or Warren Zevon, is pretty bad. Same with Cheap Trick being ahead of Tull or Bad Co, or Procul Harum
Greg Lake not being represented is a real tragedy; a tragedy in spades, due to his passing ...

Alvin Lee and/or Ten Years After.

Alvin put out some sweet stuff post TYA. Although most of the stuff in the 80's was not his best.

'I'm Goin' Home"
Good Morning Little SchoolGirl"
"Help Me"
And one of my faves, "Woodchoppers Ball"
(shout out to Leo Lyons on bass)

"

Back
Top Bottom