• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Most Dominant Athlete?

Which modern-era athlete is/was the most dominating in their respective sport?

• Tiger Woods - Golf

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Pete Sampras - Men's Tennis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stefi Graf - Women's Tennis

• Wilt Chamberlain - Basketball

• Rocky Marciano - Boxing

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Wayne Gretzky - Hockey

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Lance Armstrong - Cycling

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Edwin Moses - Running

• Other

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FluffyNinja

All Warm and Fuzzy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Okay, I hope you guys (and gals) aren't getting tired of sports polls, but here's one interesting question that I picked up last night on a Talk Radio sports show.

Which modern-era athlete was/is the most dominating in his/her respective sport and why?

This would need to be an athlete that is/was obviously "head and shoulders" above the competition on a consistent basis and over a legitimate time span. Again, feel free to add your choice if I've left it out.

#66 Mario Lemieux

Highest points per game average in NHL history

The record is solid, but many would argue that Gretzky was a more dominant hockey player:
Most goals: Wayne Gretzky 894
Most goals, including playoffs: Wayne Gretzky, 1016
Most goals, one season: Wayne Gretzky, 92 (1981-1982
Most goals, one season, including playoffs: Wayne Gretzky, 100 (1983-84)
Most goals, 50 games from start of season: Wayne Gretzky, 61 (two occasions, 1981-82 and 1983-84)
Most assists: Wayne Gretzky, 1963
Most assists, one season: Wayne Gretzky, 163 (1985-86)
Most assists, one season, including playoffs: Wayne Gretzky, 174 (1985-86)
Most assists, one period: Wayne Gretzky, 5 (Mar. 6, 1984)
Most points: Wayne Gretzky, 2857
Most points, including playoffs: Wayne Gretzky, 3239
Most points, one period: Wayne Gretzky, 6 (Dec. 23, 1978, second period)
Most consecutive 60-or-more goal seasons: Wayne Gretzky, 4

I picked Rocky Marciano.

He never lost!

Gotta go with Tiger here.

The man is, without a doubt, heads and shoulders above EVERYONE in his sport right now. For an example, one can look at the Las Vegas odds on him in most majors. He's beginning to be a 1:1 bet.

Jack Nicklaus, in his prime, was usually a 3:1 or 5:1 at best. He's generally regarded as the "Best of all time". That should give you a bit of insight into it.

Tiger is leagues apart, with the only person feasibly able to beat him on the tour currently is himself if he's having a bad day.

I'm not sure when the "modern era" began considering Rocky Marciano is on this list, but in my opinion, the most dominant player in sports history has, hands down, been Babe Ruth. The guy's numbers were cartoonish compared to other players of his day. Hell, they're cartoonish compared to most players of today... and he played during the dead ball era. And in edition to being a prolific hitter, he was also an extremely good pitcher.

Others:

Tiger Woods- I don't know much about golf but it seems like he's been the Babe Ruth of the golfing world for quite a while now.

Hulk Hogan- If you count him as an athlete he was easily the most dominant force in the history of "professional wrestling."

Michael Jordan- I know zippy about basketball about I can name about ten players he's easily the most famous of them all. Whether or not he dominated the sport during his time playing I don't know, but I figure if there's Babe Ruth of basketball it's probably him.

Mike Tyson- Most dominant boxer of the 80's by far. Probably not the best of all time but, in terms of dominance over a sport, it doesn't get much better.

CG, you don't happen to be from near DC ?

I'm not sure when the "modern era" began considering Rocky Marciano is on this list, but in my opinion, the most dominant player in sports history has, hands down, been Babe Ruth. The guy's numbers were cartoonish compared to other players of his day. Hell, they're cartoonish compared to most players of today... and he played during the dead ball era. And in edition to being a prolific hitter, he was also an extremely good pitcher.

Others:

Tiger Woods- I don't know much about golf but it seems like he's been the Babe Ruth of the golfing world for quite a while now.

Hulk Hogan- If you count him as an athlete he was easily the most dominant force in the history of "professional wrestling."

Michael Jordan- I know zippy about basketball about I can name about ten players he's easily the most famous of them all. Whether or not he dominated the sport during his time playing I don't know, but I figure if there's Babe Ruth of basketball it's probably him.

Mike Tyson- Most dominant boxer of the 80's by far. Probably not the best of all time but, in terms of dominance over a sport, it doesn't get much better.
Babe Ruth is a good pick.

#66 Mario Lemieux
Highest points per game average in NHL history
Lemieux was better than Gretsky on a game for game basis which in my mind makes him the greatest hockey player of all time. His career was limited by injuries and cancer and by the fact that he played in the hold and grab era of the NHL. Definately the most dominant hockey player ever, there was simply no one who could touch him.
However, that being said, Tiger woods is the most dominant figure in the history of sports. And it's not even close. He's playing against ALL the best golfers in the world at every tournament and if he doesn't beat them ALL, EVERYTIME, everyone wonders what happened.

CG, you don't happen to be from near DC ?

Sort of. I was born in NY (go Yankees!) but I grew up in MD, near Annapolis (about 30 mins. from DC). How'd you guess that?

I live in Chicago now though. Moved here last year.

Tiger. I hate golf but watching him play gives me hope that maybe one day I'll decide to pick it up. I don't know who's 2nd in the golfing world but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Tiger having a bad day.

Last edited:
Tennis >>> Justine Henin!!!

Bicylce >>> Tom Boonen!!!

Here's one I forgot to add to the list - How about #43, Richard Petty - The King! Won 200 NASCAR races!

Michael Jordan should be on the list, too.

He was an amazing pitcher, and won over 100 games. But his pitching achievement was from the dead ball era. Some say his hitting ability alone was what turned the page in baseball.

For golf, i believe yes he is.

Either him or Austin 3:16

Agreed

By far the best of all time, if you take into consideration at one time, there was not a fighter now or then, that could have taken him... Beware the bait, as this alone will be a new topic in the sports forum:2wave:

I'm suprised Edwin Moses hasn't gotten any votes. Man, talk about dominating. For those who don't know his accomplishments:
After breaking his own world record the following year, Moses lost to Germany's Harald Schmid on 26 August 1977 in Berlin, his fourth defeat in the 400-meter hurdles. Beginning the next week, when he beat Schmid by 15 meters in Düsseldorf, Moses did not lose another race for nine years, nine months and nine days.By the time American Danny Harris beat Moses in Madrid on June 4, 1987, Moses had won 122 consecutive races, set the world record two more times, won three World Cup titles, won two World Championships, and earned his second Olympic gold medal in Los Angeles, where he was selected to take the Olympic Oath. After losing to Harris, he won 10 more races in a row, then finished third in the final 400-meter race of his career at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul.
Edwin Moses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I voted "other" for reasons like:

Eddie Mercks
Jim Brown
Bill Russell
Martina Navratilova
Jack Nicklaus
Joe Montana
Steve Young
Magic Johnson
Jim Thorpe
Babe Dedrickson
....and others.

There are too many choices and not enough guidelines in which we are to make a decision.

I also thought about some of those, particularly MONTANA.

I'm suprised Edwin Moses hasn't gotten any votes. Man, talk about dominating. For those who don't know his accomplishments:

Edwin Moses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No arguments from me, it seems that I was the one that first mentioned him here or in the other thread earlier today. ;)

I saw him run a few times... impressive.

Then again, I was a track and field athlete into college, so seeing the 84 Olympics in LA was big for me, as were other races at Mt SAC, etc..

Okay, I hope you guys (and gals) aren't getting tired of sports polls, but here's one interesting question that I picked up last night on a Talk Radio sports show.

Which modern-era athlete was/is the most dominating in his/her respective sport and why?

This would need to be an athlete that is/was obviously "head and shoulders" above the competition on a consistent basis and over a legitimate time span. Again, feel free to add your choice if I've left it out.

Some that the ESPN Jock sniffer crowd will ignore

Jahangir Khan-Squash Champion-555 straight match wins-undefeated over 5 years in one of the most grueling sports in existence.

Darrell Pace-held world record in Archery for 14 years-his last-set in 1979 used aluminum arrows and it took ten years to break it-including 7 where the most faster and more wind resistant carbon shafts existed. He won the gold medal in 76, was a victim of the moronic 80 boycott and won again in 84-the guy who won in 1980 didn't come close to the scores Pace had shot with what was then obsolete equipment 4 years earlier

Jan Ove Waldner-greatest table tennis player in history-the sport that has more serious individual athletes than any other-European silver medalist in the early 80s-4th place in the 2004 olympics. More major titles than anyone in that 22 year run-5 times world championship medalist (two times champion) Olympic gold, Olympic silver, etc

There are more full time table tennis players in china then there are professional basketball, football and baseball players in the USA combined.

I picked Rocky Marciano.

He never lost!
That's what I was thinking as well. I would've gone with Tiger Woods, but you can't argue with a perfect win record in boxing.

Sort of. I was born in NY (go Yankees!) but I grew up in MD, near Annapolis (about 30 mins. from DC). How'd you guess that?

I live in Chicago now though. Moved here last year.

Haha, I guess I'm just Silly.

"Zippy" tipped me off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom