• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most comprehensive study yet- new world genocide linked to cause of the Little Ice Age

The book blames climate change for the dinosaur's demise. How does this jive with Europeans coming to the Americas?

It discusses the demise of many more orders of flora and fauna than dinosaurs...and the means...and 'temperature' & 'weather'changes were far from the means.

How did the expansion of Homo sapiens into Europe and the East 'jive' with it? Or why did you bring that to the discussion?

It discusses the demise of many more orders of flora and fauna than dinosaurs...and the means...and 'temperature' & 'weather'changes were far from the means.

How did the expansion of Homo sapiens into Europe and the East 'jive' with it? Or why did you bring that to the discussion?

Because it's pretty obvious this thread was a hit piece on not only western Europeans/Americans but, putting the climate change blame on humans in general.

Because it's pretty obvious this thread was a hit piece on not only western Europeans/Americans but, putting the climate change blame on humans in general.

Well, facts are facts and the conditions that occurred after Europeans invaded the New World are accurate.

As for the ignorance of human activity not influencing climate change, well, that's just the same as the willful ignorance used to dispute human evolution. Those that publicly hold that view are those wishing to prevent further regulations on businesses/industry (those doing so for profit) and those doing so because they are blind sheep that believe anything their leaders tell them.

Well, facts are facts and the conditions that occurred after Europeans invaded the New World are accurate.

As for the ignorance of human activity not influencing climate change, well, that's just the same as the willful ignorance used to dispute human evolution. Those that publicly hold that view are those wishing to prevent further regulations on businesses/industry (those doing so for profit) and those doing so because they are blind sheep that believe anything their leaders tell them.

Problem is those conditions were present hundreds of years before Europeans invaded the New World. Eliminates the European invasion as a cause.

Problem is those conditions were present hundreds of years before Europeans invaded the New World. Eliminates the European invasion as a cause.

I wasnt following the thread, sorry. I was only thinking about the diseases we introduced.

This is something I’ve been aware of since reading Charles Mann’s 1493 - an impressive book about the clash of civilizations after the discovery of the new world.

A new paper out gives further evidence to the theory that the massive death and disruption of human populations in the new world following encounters with Europeans in the early 1500s triggered a massive regrowth of vegetation and a subsequent drop in CO2 levels. This drop actually triggered the so called ‘Little Ice Age’ of the late 1600-1700s.

The open access paper is here:
Earth system impacts of the European arrival and Great Dying in the Americas after 1492 - ScienceDirect

A solid BBC writeup on it is here:

America colonisation ?cooled Earth's climate? - BBC News

Charles Mann actually tweeted about it here:

Twitter

I dont think this has taken into account another possible major impact of colonization... that is that there’s good archeological evidence that native Americans cleared huge swaths of land by fire. With a massive population drop, reforestation would recur and CO2 production would drop, causing further impacts on CO2 concentrations.

Note that temperature drop (0.3 degrees C) and the CO2 drop (10-15 ppm) is minuscule compared to what the temp rise and CO2 rise is today... we are increasing CO2 by about 3ppm per year, which is 30x the rate of the 1500s.

But its interesting to see an anthropogenic effect from 500 years ago.

This idea has been floating about for a long time on this forum.

I have commented on it. I support of the idea.

The obvious point that comes out of it is, however, that the "normal" level of CO2 may well be far higher than the 280ppm usually used.

I never said humans weren't responsible for some but, certainly not to extent assumed. This over-generalization [much like yours] are why the Al Gores of this world aren't taken seriously.

I never said humans weren't responsible for some but, certainly not to extent assumed. This over-generalization [much like yours] are why the Al Gores of this world aren't taken seriously.

It's not an overgeneralization on my part...just look at the ignorance being encouraged by the current WH on this. And lapped right up.

It's not an overgeneralization on my part...just look at the ignorance being encouraged by the current WH on this. And lapped right up.

This issue has been trumped up by the Left as way to drain the wealth of this country and make us all subservient to the government for decades now. The current POTUS is simply calling their bluff.

Look at what we have today with the Green robber barons seeking to get rid of jet travel and cow farts. Please tell me you've noticed.

BTW Believing your leaders and their POV on this subject is exactly what you accuse others of doing.

This issue has been trumped up by the Left as way to drain the wealth of this country and make us all subservient to the government for decades now. The current POTUS is simply calling their bluff.

Look at what we have today with the Green robber barons seeking to get rid of jet travel and cow farts. Please tell me you've noticed.

BTW Believing your leaders and their POV on this subject is exactly what you accuse others of doing.

Whew, that belongs in the CT sub-forum.

It's amazing how deluded people will allow themselves to be in order to find the security they need in a "leader." And that applies to many "leaders."

and I dont have to believe 'leaders' on this. I have a B.S. in Natural Resource Management and studied this stuff.

What was the average temperature of the earth in 1502?

Whew, that belongs in the CT sub-forum.

It's amazing how deluded people will allow themselves to be in order to find the security they need in a "leader." And that applies to many "leaders."

and I dont have to believe 'leaders' on this. I have a B.S. in Natural Resource Management and studied this stuff.

Which part of what I said is conspiratorial? It's all true.

Guessing you don't have a good grasp of the politics surrounding this issue. That's OK, Im here to help. :)

I have seen many of your posts and I'm the one grounded in real life.

We’ve got a good general idea.

Is it good enough to destabilize the world's economy, sending us back to living 100 years in the past or making climate matters worse, worth while?

Is it good enough to destabilize the world's economy, sending us back to living 100 years in the past or making climate matters worse, worth while?

Holy crap what have they (your 'leaders') been feeding you?

Odd. Not sure how you’re extrapolating that from a single year of paleoclimate data.

But if you mean evidence for AGW, it’s quite obvious to non drooling idiots that the costs of inaction will be much greater than the costs of mitigation- and the earlier you start, the less costly it will be.

Odd. Not sure how you’re extrapolating that from a single year of paleoclimate data.

But if you mean evidence for AGW, it’s quite obvious to non drooling idiots that the costs of inaction will be much greater than the costs of mitigation- and the earlier you start, the less costly it will be.

Someone will be the fool.

How precise is "good general idea"?

Within 5 degrees?

I see you don't like Trump. That's fine.

But how do you like the economy and ISIS being almost gone and more Americans working then ever before?

Can you say that he has done well in those areas?

Back
Top Bottom