• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most Boring USofA Professional Sport To Watch On Television

The most boring sport on TV is:

• Football (NFL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baseball

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Basketball

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Ice Hockey

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Nascar

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Golf

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Tennis (male or female)

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Soccer

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • other - please post what is more boring

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Of these major professional sports in the USofA, which is the MOST boring sport to watch on TV?

Feel free to explain why.

Last edited:
Of these major professional sports in the USofA, which is the MOST boring sport to watch on TV?

(poll in the making)

Soccer by a wide margin!!
Bunch of running,no scoring-just dont get the appeal.

To be fair anymore Nascar is getting boring for the most part.
NBA does nothing for me either.

Soccer really, really sucks. Make it go away.

I was tied up between tennis and golf.

As a friend of mine used to say, 'If I'm going to beat something around in the grass for hours, I better be able to eat it when I'm done'

I think that applies to tennis too. ;)

I was sure I'd go with basketball when I first started this, but now I'm torn.

The constant fouling and crap that goes on in basketball makes me want to physically damage the TV.

But then I recalled the acting and drama in soccer. The diving and acting like the entire lower leg has been shattered and torn off by a rabid lion only to jump right back up and continue running on it when a penalty is not called makes me almost ill.

Baseball just puts me to sleep.

So I can't really even answer my own survey yet without having to think about it a bit more.

I used to watch nascar, but now I find that duller than dull too.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...........

Basketball. Most of the time you can see the whole game reflected in the last 10 minutes.

Soccer by a wide margin!!
Bunch of running,no scoring-just dont get the appeal.

To be fair anymore Nascar is getting boring for the most part.
NBA does nothing for me either.

I imagine DF automatically thinks soccer is the most exciting sport simply due to it's lack of popularity in the US.

Guy literally reminds me of an angst ridden 14 year old

Basketball. Most of the time you can see the whole game reflected in the last 10 minutes.

But the last ten minutes of actual basketball time can take up to an hour to complete.

That's what kills me.

Alright, I went with my initial gut instinct.

The sport I'd most likely turn off the fastest due to lack of interest and boredom would be basketball.

I'd turn other sports off too, but none as fast as I'd turn off basketball.

Auto racing of any kind is the most boring sport (if it even counts as a sport?) to watch, followed by golf, and then soccer.

I find Nascar, Golf, Tennis and Bowling equally boring.

to be perfectly honest, i don't really enjoy watching any of them. i tried to get into it over and over as a kid. i even played most of them, with some limited success. however, i spend pretty much zero hours per week watching ball throwing / ball hitting. when ball throwing preempts the nightly news, it annoys the **** out of me. i like playing golf, though.

i watch one sporting event each year, and that's the superbowl. i do it as an excuse to order pizza and swill beer. also, watching the superbowl is the minimum requirement for a guy card. if you don't at least do that, they knock on your door, take the card back, and remove your testicles.

i have been an extra in two popular sports movies, though. THAT was fun and entertaining.

Oh yeah bowling is boring to watch, but that's not a sport, it's a game/activity. Anything that I get better at the more beers I drink is not a sport.

to be perfectly honest, i don't really enjoy watching any of them. i tried to get into it over and over as a kid. i even played most of them, with some limited success. however, i spend pretty much zero hours per week watching ball throwing / ball hitting. when ball throwing preempts the nightly news, it annoys the **** out of me. i like playing golf, though.

i watch one sporting event each year, and that's the superbowl. i do it as an excuse to order pizza and swill beer. also, watching the superbowl is the minimum requirement for a guy card. if you don't at least do that, they knock on your door, take the card back, and remove your testicles.

i have been an extra in two popular sports movies, though. THAT was fun and entertaining.

****, i found the one of the scenes i saw being filmed live.

skip to 1:50 and watch him kick the ball in rage. this was filmed in a dome-style arena, and he kicked the ball so hard that it almost hit the rafters. i don't know how he didn't break his foot, lol. it was a shame that the camera didn't capture just how high the basketball went.

:lol:

OK, that's it...turn in your man card!

In answer to the poll, it is a 3 way tie between basketball, NASCAR and soccer.

OK, that's it...turn in your man card!

In answer to the poll, it is a 3 way tie between basketball, NASCAR and soccer.

i watched the superbowl, or at least part of it. i'm good for 2013.

I love reading Americans commentary on Soccer because its always factually wrong and always comes across as a little jealous because the world embraced it and you didn't, still though that is changing fast as its a huge game now in the US.

Most boring sport to watch in the US from my experience is def baseball for several reasons.

1. Its stupidly long season which makes the first 80 games almost pointless.
2. A good amount of the players are un athletic and out of shape.
3. The crazy amount of drugs in the game. Any sport that has to put a * next to a name because of substance abuse should be banned.
4. The games themselves can last hours and it is on nearly every day of the week
5. Its soooooooooooo slow.
6. They wear big mitts to watch the ball, man up.

Hockey was a close second for me because its great to watch live but it can be hard to follow on TV as that puck is might small and very fast.

Voted baseball, but American football was close after.

Baseball reasons: Read Higgens86. It is like watching cricket on TV..or in person.. YAWN

American football: Too many ad breaks and game breaks and too few games in a season to give a damn.

NASCAR. Not disputing that it takes skill, but 90% of it is how much you can soup up your car without getting caught.

But the last ten minutes of actual basketball time can take up to an hour to complete.

That's what kills me.

I utterly detest that about basketball, especially the NBA. It's really a beautiful, athletic game, with astounding offense and defense (yes, despite what you may have been told, NBA players play phenomenal defense) ... until the last 3-4 minutes, when it becomes the equivalent of watching a glacier overtake Honolulu.

I voted Baseball because I've been taken to Baseball games and have almost chewed my foot off to get out of there. What's going on in the stands is always more interesting than what's going on on the field. Mind you, it's a close-run thing with NASCAR. Going round and round and round doesn't seem to me to test anyone's real driving ability. I guess that's why no NASCAR driver has ever made it at a higher level in F1.

I voted Baseball because I've been taken to Baseball games and have almost chewed my foot off to get out of there. What's going on in the stands is always more interesting than what's going on on the field. Mind you, it's a close-run thing with NASCAR. Going round and round and round doesn't seem to me to test anyone's real driving ability. I guess that's why no NASCAR driver has ever made it at a higher level in F1.

Do you brits enjoy watching cricket? I despise baseball myself, but find cricket generally too confusing to form much of an opinion on it.

Do you brits enjoy watching cricket? I despise baseball myself, but find cricket generally too confusing to form much of an opinion on it.

Some do. I don't. It has a small but very passionate following. Most people take no interest except when we play the Aussies. Watching cricket and watching Baseball are very similar experiences. The only exception can be 20/20 Cricket, which is very fast and much more entertaining.

In terms of spectator appeal, in the UK I think you'd say that the order of importance goes:

Football
Rugby (Union and League)
Horse racing
Motorsports (bikes, cars, both track and rally)
Cricket

Some do. I don't. It has a small but very passionate following. Most people take no interest except when we play the Aussies. Watching cricket and watching Baseball are very similar experiences. The only exception can be 20/20 Cricket, which is very fast and much more entertaining.

In terms of spectator appeal, in the UK I think you'd say that the order of importance goes:

Football
Rugby (Union and League)
Horse racing
Motorsports (bikes, cars, both track and rally)
Cricket

I understand cricket is popular in the UK, it was more just wondering if there was a trend between the interest in the two. Though I'm surprised you listed it as number 5. Going by that, it seems like it's more popular in South Asia now than it is in the UK

PS that american sprinter plays in the Rugby Fives league, right?

I understand cricket is popular in the UK, it was more just wondering if there was a trend between the interest in the two. Though I'm surprised you listed it as number 5. Going by that, it seems like it's more popular in South Asia now than it is in the UK

PS that american sprinter plays in the Rugby Fives league, right?

It's MUCH more popular in South Asia than it is in the UK. Cricket is the most popular sport in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. The only matches in England that get large crowds are internationals, and maybe inter-county grudge matches such as Yorkshire vs. Lancashire, Derbyshire vs. Nottinghamshire, Middlesex vs. Surrey. Most professional level county cricket matches will have just a few hundred spectators; the equivalent sort of crowd that a 5th division football match would get.

Back
Top Bottom