• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Most backward state in the union?

Which is the most backward state of the USA?

• Mississippi

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Texas

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Alabama

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Tennessee

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Utah

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Iraq

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters
akyron said:
Ever wonder why "Sex in the City" was set in NYC.

No. I have never seen an episode.

I lived in NYC for almost a year. There are some good looking women there as well. They cannot match Q&Q of Texas though.

I must preface this by saying I've never been to the USA, so my opinions are based soley on that reliable source; TV.

I saw a doco on dating in New York, which had both Americans and foreigners telling of their experiences with New York women. One Brit said that New York women first check out whether a guy has an expensive watch and buldging wallet (the later made on assumptions arising from talk about what jon the bloke is doing).

But from what I've seen of Californians, this state must take the cake. Especially the "Valley Girls" who still rule the roost when it comes to destroying the English language

vauge said:
Jealous because:
  • We are the only state that could succeed and be it's own country?
  • The prez is from here?
  • The ladies are better looking here?
  • Red state?
There are many things to be jealous of...

I guess the definition of 'backward' is warranted.

As to 'country' are you basing this on current structures of industry and economics? Texas already was its own country, and it failed so badly it needed to be annexed by the USA.

Montalban said:
As to 'country' are you basing this on current structures of industry and economics? Texas already was its own country, and it failed so badly it needed to be annexed by the USA.

Texas didn't ask for annexation to the USA because of a bad economy, it was actually reasonably good. They were concerned about the constant threat of Mexico. The Texan revolutionaries were generally Americans who settled in Texas in the 1820s to begin with.

They were concerned about the constant threat of Mexico.
That's because Texas WAS Mexico at the time. The territory was never part of the Louisiana Purchase, but Americans started moving there anyway. The Mexican American war started over disagreement that the American settlers should (or shouldn't) pay Mexican taxes for living on Mexican land.

Oklahoma is the most backward state I've lived in. No state lottery, tatoo parlors are illegal, dry counties, laws define sodomy as anything but missionary, and 6.0 beer is sold only at room temperature by law. Damn rednecks. :p

Binary_Digit said:
That's because Texas WAS Mexico at the time. The territory was never part of the Louisiana Purchase, but Americans started moving there anyway. The Mexican American war started over disagreement that the American settlers should (or shouldn't) pay Mexican taxes for living on Mexican land.

If that is what your U.S. History teacher taught you, he should be fired.

You are right on one point, and one point only. That Texas was not a part of the LA Purchase, though it did create a border dispute that wasn't resolved until the Adams-Onis Treaty of 1819. Through the 1820s, Americans were moving into Texas at the invitation of the Mexican government. Texas was thinly populated, and the Mexican government wanted more people to develop the province. The Mexican government made conversion to Catholicism a requirement, but it wasn't initially enforced. The beginning of the enforcement of that rule in the early in 1830s along with the official prohibition of slavery beginning in 1829 caused feelings among the American settlers to fester until they, along with some Mexicans also living there who hated Santa Anna, rebelled against the Mexican government and gained their independence with the signing of the Treaties of Velasco in 1836.

The Texans immediately tried to become annexed to the United States, but caught up in the North-South rivalry at the time, the U.S. refused. Texas appealed for Statehood again in 1844, but again that was rejected. It wasn't until President Houston threatened to develop closer relations with Britain that the United States Senate agreed to an annexation treaty with Texas.

The Mexicans, still chaffing from losing Texas were not amused. They immediately broke off diplomatic relations with the United States and asserted that the border was not the Rio Grande, as stipulated in the Treaties of Velasco, but the Nueches River, further to the north. President Polk, after signing an agreement with Britain over the the Oregon Country (angering Northerners - Polk was from Tennessee), Polk went to war, not only to enforce the legitimate claim over the territory south to the Rio Grande, but also to get an excuse to take northern Mexico after the Slidell Mission (which was authorized to purchase the territory) was rebuffed by the Mexican government.

Your claim that Texas was a Mexican territory when the Mexican-American War began is totally incorrect as Texas had already gained its independence a full decade before the Mexican-American War began.

ludahai said:
Your claim that Texas was a Mexican territory when the Mexican-American War began is totally incorrect as Texas had already gained its independence a full decade before the Mexican-American War began.
Oops, I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out.

I don't know if Georgia qualifies as the most backwards state in the Union, but I think I am from the most backwards county in the Union. I was born in Cobb County, Georgia. This is the county which recently came to national attention for inserting disclaimer stickers on all of it's textbooks stating that evolution is a scientific theory, not a fact - stickers which they have now had to remove. A few years before this, we came to national prominence when our county commision (with no input from the county) passed a resolution stating that "homosexuality is incompatible with the Cobb County lifestyle". A few years before that, we were spotlighted when a large town in the county (Kennesaw) passed an ordinance in response to other towns banning the ownership of firearms within the town. Kennesaw's law required everyone within the town to own a firearm.

I'm so proud of my hometown.

(p.s. - before you get the wrong idea and picture Cobb County as a little red-dirt farming community. Cobb County is a bedroom community for Atlanta. It is mostly middle to upper class professionals. It has the highest per-capita income in Georgia and the highest percentage of residents with a college degree. The nice sections of Atlanta (Buckhead, etc...) either border on or are within Cobb County. That's what makes this so hard to fathom.)

Last edited:
walrus said:
I don't know if Georgia qualifies as the most backwards state in the Union, but I think I am from the most backwards county in the Union. I was born in Cobb County, Georgia. This is the county which recently came to national attention for inserting disclaimer stickers on all of it's textbooks stating that evolution is a scientific theory, not a fact - stickers which they have now had to remove. A few years before this, we came to national prominence when our county commision (with no input from the county) passed a resolution stating that "homosexuality is incompatible with the Cobb County lifestyle". A few years before that, we were spotlighted when a large town in the county (Kennesaw) passed an ordinance in response to other towns banning the ownership of firearms within the town. Kennesaw's law required everyone within the town to own a firearm.

I'm so proud of my hometown.

(p.s. - before you get the wrong idea and picture Cobb County as a little red-dirt farming community. Cobb County is a bedroom community for Atlanta. It is mostly middle to upper class professionals. It has the highest per-capita income in Georgia and the highest percentage of residents with a college degree. The nice sections of Atlanta (Buckhead, etc...) either border on or are within Cobb County. That's what makes this so hard to fathom.)

I just spent 2 months in McDonough, GA. I would not wish this on my worst enemy as it would be considered cruel & unusual punishment...LOL...had to put the LOL as sarcasm tends to get lost in cyberspace. But, I was actually there in McDonough. I was amazed at a few things down there...once I was listening to a radio station & the song "picture" by Kid Rock & Cheryl Crow was playing...they bleeped out the word "cocaine" in the part where he says "I've been fueling up on cocaine & whiskey"...but whiskey was not...nor was damn when he says "I haven't seen the sun shine in three damn days"... or when she says "I haven't heard from you in three damn nights"...just seemed a bit strange to me. As for the stickers...why did they have to be removed? The stickers are correct.

By the way...McDonough is in Henry County...ever watch cops? if so, then you've probably seen Henry County Police at work.

A bumper stickers I saw while down in them there parts...

*we don't care how you did it up north*

Also at a local Waffle House a waitress was bragging about the fact that a portion of Smokey & the Bandit was filmed right there in McDonough...someone replied "you sure Deliverance wasn't filmed down here?"

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
I just spent 2 months in McDonough, GA. I would not wish this on my worst enemy as it would be considered cruel & unusual punishment...

Whoa, whoa, whoa there Fonzi - you have me entirely wrong. I express a wry and reluctant embarrassment about my home - much like the embarrassment expressed by a mother when her retarded child pees on the rug. I still love her a great deal. I have seen much of the country and I love the land, the lore, and the people of the south more than any. Like most places, you have to be from there to get it. We don't ask others to understand, in fact we discourage it. There are too many of you down here already.

Also, we really don't care how you did it up north. I am sure you wouldn't care how we did it down south if I moved there. The only reason you saw that bumper sticker is there are enough people from up north who move down here and proceed to tell us how they did it up north.

Deliverance was filmed along the Flint River in north Georgia.

And finally, to any yankees who are still unfairly being held prisoners of war behind the lines in the former Confederate States, I offer the refrain expressed by all southerners to our brethren from other parts of the country who take the time and trouble to travel here and tell us how much they dislike the south...

Delta is ready when you are

walrus said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa there Fonzi - you have me entirely wrong. I express a wry and reluctant embarrassment about my home - much like the embarrassment expressed by a mother when her retarded child pees on the rug. I still love her a great deal. I have seen much of the country and I love the land, the lore, and the people of the south more than any. Like most places, you have to be from there to get it. We don't ask others to understand, in fact we discourage it. There are too many of you down here already.

Also, we really don't care how you did it up north. I am sure you wouldn't care how we did it down south if I moved there. The only reason you saw that bumper sticker is there are enough people from up north who move down here and proceed to tell us how they did it up north.

Deliverance was filmed along the Flint River in north Georgia.

And finally, to any yankees who are still unfairly being held prisoners of war behind the lines in the former Confederate States, I offer the refrain expressed by all southerners to our brethren from other parts of the country who take the time and trouble to travel here and tell us how much they dislike the south...

Delta is ready when you are

LOL.....koo koo kachoo.....

Hey Walrus I'm a native of cobb county too..on the marietta/austell side

Problem with georgia that dems run atlanta and think panhandling at atm's is ok

my vote goes to NY(for voting hillary) and CA (for allowing celebritys to kill people)

:spin: ers never take a break. I mean you can put on Texas but not Massachusetts, where is fair and balanced in that? WTF how did Iraq get in there, its not a state but a territory. Unless they meant "state" as of current conditions, then that would be a whole other topic.

If elected President I promise to bring our troops home to guard the boarder with Texas and keep them out of neighboring States. I would give it back to Mexico and deport anyone from Texas back to their wasteland and the only thing I would demand from Mexico would be a 300 year lease on the oil and gas fields. When I think of Texas I think of the lines from Full Metal Jacket and A Officer and a Gentleman " The only things that come from Texas is Steers and Queers".

Contrarian said:
Ever wonder why "Sex in the City" was set in NYC...

if thats your idea of good lookin chicks...keep em haha. west coast girls are the best.

and seriously, what do you mean 'backwards'? all the states you listed are pretty straight forward. the state with the strangest laws and backwards thinking is California, without a doubt.

and how does someone who lives in europe make a poll like this haha? that would be like me saying, 'which country in the EU are the biggest sissies: France, Germany, or France?'. see what i mean?

Last edited:
FiremanRyan said:
if thats your idea of good lookin chicks...keep em haha. west coast girls are the best.
No doubt.
and seriously, what do you mean 'backwards'? all the states you listed are pretty straight forward. the state with the strangest laws and backwards thinking is California, without a doubt.
The firemiester, on a roll.
and how does someone who lives in europe make a poll like this haha? that would be like me saying, 'which country in the EU are the biggest sissies: France, Germany, or France?'. see what i mean?
And then he blows it. Which is the biggest sissies? You messing with me right?

FiremanRyan said:
the state with the strangest laws and backwards thinking is California, without a doubt.

I've always had this thought....

If someone wanted to be preseident, all they had to do is attack California...just keep saying "They're a bunch of nutcases!...Not like the rest of the country." and the other 49 states will vote for you.

cnredd said:

If someone wanted to be preseident, all they had to do is attack California...just keep saying "They're a bunch of nutcases!...Not like the rest of the country." and the other 49 states will vote for you.

Cali is definitely backwards in alot of ways, BUT in my state (and cnredd MIGHT agree with this) they're using gambling money from slots to lower property taxes. Now on the premise that sounds like a noble idea.. however, when it's broken down... not a single slot has been built into this state. ACT 72 (which the schools could opt in or out) would have limited the control over raising taxes the school board had. They let them CHOOSE... I mean, what school boad in their right mind is gonna OPT to give away some of their power? LMAO

We have severe transportation problems in both Philly and Pittsburgh. What's the solution? Raise car registration fees and the like so public transportation users get a cheap ride? hmmm sounds backwards to me.

LOL know the already state and federal taxes paid for cell phones? Pennsylvania wants to tax it's residents more for cell phone use. Gotta love Fast Eddie... who used to be the chairman of the DNC.

BUT I will say this.... PA has some of the best views, especially in the fall. That's it's one good point. The second... definitely them Flyers!!

stsburns said:
:spin: ers never take a break. I mean you can put on Texas but not Massachusetts, where is fair and balanced in that? WTF how did Iraq get in there, its not a state but a territory. Unless they meant "state" as of current conditions, then that would be a whole other topic.

O Massachusetts is quite backwards.... and hypocritical. Get this: queers can have their marriages but simple things like fireworks, fires in your backyard, and all sorts of other freedoms are lost. Everything requires a license in this state. I had a new roof put on my house, and I live in the middle of no where and was required to GET A LICENSE to do work anywhere on the outside of my home. Theres all sorts of freedoms taken in this state... dogs MUST be on leashes, all sorts of guns are illegal, all sorts of common items are also illegal. Up until like a year ago it was illegal to buy alcohol on Sundays! Trust me... Massachusetts is very backwards, in a hypocritical sort of way.

KevinWan said:
O Massachusetts is quite backwards.... and hypocritical. Get this: queers can have their marriages but simple things like fireworks, fires in your backyard, and all sorts of other freedoms are lost. Everything requires a license in this state. I had a new roof put on my house, and I live in the middle of no where and was required to GET A LICENSE to do work anywhere on the outside of my home. Theres all sorts of freedoms taken in this state... dogs MUST be on leashes, all sorts of guns are illegal, all sorts of common items are also illegal. Up until like a year ago it was illegal to buy alcohol on Sundays! Trust me... Massachusetts is very backwards, in a hypocritical sort of way.
I agree that it's ridiculous that you need to licence to do work on your house, but I don't see how any of those things are hypocritical!
Dogs have to be on leashes a lot of places, for safety purposes. All sorts of guns are illegal in lots of places.
So please, tell me, how are these things hypocritical?

cnredd said:

That's 'cause they're all jealous of the weather we have, lol. Hey, I wanna know why West Virginia didin't make the list. I don't see how it's possible to forget the home of Robert Byrd...

Imudman said:
That's 'cause they're all jealous of the weather we have, lol. Hey, I wanna know why West Virginia didin't make the list. I don't see how it's possible to forget the home of Robert Byrd...
**** California, it's a ****ing waste of a state!
Illinois is where it's AT BITCH!

Back
Top Bottom