• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most Americans embarrassed by US response to coronavirus

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

a6K1Pne_700b.jpg

8/19/20
Nearly 7 in 10 Americans say the US response to the coronavirus outbreak makes them feel embarrassed, according to a new CNN Poll conducted by SSRS, as 62% of the public says President Donald Trump could be doing more to fight the outbreak. The new poll finds disapproval of Trump's handling of the outbreak at a new high, 58%, as the share who say the worst of the pandemic is yet to come has risen to 55% after dropping through the spring. And as the virus has spread from the nation's cities throughout its countryside, the number who know someone who's been diagnosed with the virus has jumped dramatically to 67%, up from 40% in early June. And Americans are angry. About 8 in 10 say they are at least somewhat angry about the way things are going in the country today, including an astonishing 51% who say they are very angry. CNN has asked this question in polling periodically since 2008, and the previous high for the share who said they were "very angry" was 35%, reached in 2008 and 2016.

A narrow majority of Americans, 52%, say they are not comfortable returning to their regular routines right now, and in the last two months, this group's expectations for when they might return to life as it was before the coronavirus have changed dramatically. In June, just 9% overall said they weren't comfortable now and didn't think they would be this year. Now, that figure stands at 26%. Democrats (76%) and independents (58%) are far more likely to say the worst is yet to come in the outbreak than are Republicans (26%), and the poll finds a massive 64-point gap between the percentages of Republicans and Democrats who say they are comfortable returning to their regular routines today (82% among Republicans, 18% among Democrats).
Democrats are nearly unanimous in saying they are more embarrassed than proud about the American response to the virus (93% embarrassed, 5% proud), while Republicans are mostly proud (61% say so vs. 33% who are embarrassed).

Imagine how embarrassed we would be if Americans could be tourists. But we can't travel to Canada, Europe, Australia, Japan, South Korea, etc. as tourists or on business without a mandatory quarantine period.

The United States under Donald Trump is considered a coronavirus pariah state, with the COVID disease out of control and no end in sight.

a6K1Pne_700b.jpg

Imagine how embarrassed we would be if Americans could be tourists. But we can't travel to Canada, Europe, Australia, Japan, South Korea, etc. as tourists or on business without a mandatory quarantine period.

The United States under Donald Trump is considered a coronavirus pariah state, with the COVID disease out of control and no end in sight.

Are we great again?

a6K1Pne_700b.jpg

At least people are paying attention. That gives me a glimmer of hope.

Oh we are great for sure, great at screwing this all up.

Yes, if the focus had been on targeting the virus early the situation today would surely have been much different. As it stands it seems that political bickering, libertarian snowflakes endlessly whining about 'rights' and point-scoring takes precedent over securing people's lives. One poster who shall remain nameless today stated that in his opinion Americans value their 'freedom' so much they would prefer to die than give it up. I'm assuming he refers to the minor inconvenience of having to wear a mask. 'Freedom' doesn't mean much when you're six feet under, as the families of 170,000+ dead Americans now know.

Last edited:

a6K1Pne_700b.jpg

I don't understand how any U.S citizen would be embarrassed or apologetic to other countries while traveling, but there again, your poll said Democrats are nearly unanimous in saying they are more embarrassed than proud about the American response to the virus (93% embarrassed, 5% proud), while Republicans are mostly proud (61% say so vs. 33% who are embarrassed.

Btw, I think our president has done a good job, but saying this wouldn't necessarily make me say I am proud of his response. What does that mean anyway? Proud of his response? He'd have to cure it personally for me to proud of him.

I don't understand how any U.S citizen would be embarrassed or apologetic to other countries while traveling, but there again, your poll said Democrats are nearly unanimous in saying they are more embarrassed than proud about the American response to the virus (93% embarrassed, 5% proud), while Republicans are mostly proud (61% say so vs. 33% who are embarrassed.

Btw, I think our president has done a good job, but saying this wouldn't necessarily make me say I am proud of his response. What does that mean anyway? Proud of his response? He'd have to cure it personally for me to proud of him.

How on earth does being Number One, globally, in rates of death and infection translate to having done a good job? Please explain how utter failure is now a success.

How on earth does being Number One, globally, in rates of death and infection translate to having done a good job? Please explain how utter failure is now a success.

I tire of hearing stupid partisans attempt to scapegoat this president by politicizing a virus. Ad nauseum, it has been explained and rehashed that Trump acted quickly with the travel ban. For doing so, he was labeled a xenophobe and racist by Biden. It was only later that Biden commended this president for having implemented that ban. Fact._
The states are in control of mandates. If a state's death and infection rate is high, look to the governance of that state. New York under the governance of Mario Cuomo for instance.

I tire of hearing stupid partisans attempt to scapegoat this president by politicizing a virus. Ad nauseum, it has been explained and rehashed that Trump acted quickly with the travel ban. For doing so, he was labeled a xenophobe and racist by Biden. It was only later that Biden commended this president for having implemented that ban. Fact._
The states are in control of mandates. If a state's death and infection rate is high, look to the governance of that state. New York under the governance of Mario Cuomo for instance.

Trump publicly politicized the virus by asking that testing be slowed because it made both America and his 'numbers' look bad for November. I'm delighted that you agree that playing politics with a deadly pandemic is dumb.

Trump publicly politicized the virus by asking that testing be slowed because it made his 'numbers' look bad for November. I'm delighted that you agree that playing politics with a deadly pandemic is dumb.

He didn't do it though, did he? Show me his directive? Some people have a nasty habit of only repeating the left's cherry picked fake nooze headlines.

Let's review his remark with context....

"Trump says he wasn't kidding about slowing down coronavirus testing. "Testing is a double edge sword. One way, it shows you have cases and in another way you find out where the cases are and you do a good job."

Trump says he wasn't joking about testing slowdown: "I don't kid" - CBS News

He didn't do it though, did he? Show me his directive? Some people have a nasty habit of only repeating the left's cherry picked fake nooze headlines.

"Trump says he wasn't kidding about slowing down coronavirus testing. "Testing is a double edge sword. One way, it shows you have cases and in another way you find out where the cases are and you do a good job."

He didn't do it? Is that your excuse? The INTENT was there and clear to everyone but you, apparently. Trump is a clueless self-serving moron and the sooner he flies off to Mar-a-****ing-lago for the last time won't be a day too soon.

a6K1Pne_700b.jpg

Most Trump supporters are too poor to travel.

But it will cost Trump among the wealthy. That is if the wealthy don't care about the $62,000 a year they get from Trump's tax cuts on the rich.

we should be. we elected a idiot who cares not for his fellow man.

From that link, this is what Trump said he wasn't kidding about:

"When you do testing to that extent you're going to find more people, you're going to find cases. So I said to my people, 'Slow the testing down, please.'"

Trump himself said that he ordered testing to be slowed because it was causing more cases to be found. Then when given the chance to backpedal, he instead doubled down and stated that he wasn't kidding. He's a damn fool.

Trump publicly politicized the virus by asking that testing be slowed because it made both America and his 'numbers' look bad for November. I'm delighted that you agree that playing politics with a deadly pandemic is dumb.

Did the states slow their testing?

Because, if they did not, Trump's opinion made no difference.

What specifically did he not do?

I remember around St. Paddy's Day, New York's Cuomo refusing to shut down businesses because they were expecting big sales. How would you imagine Trump could have prevented that?

Last edited:
From that link, this is what Trump said he wasn't kidding about:

"When you do testing to that extent you're going to find more people, you're going to find cases. So I said to my people, 'Slow the testing down, please.'"

Trump himself said that he ordered testing to be slowed because it was causing more cases to be found. Then when given the chance to backpedal, he instead doubled down and stated that he wasn't kidding. He's a damn fool.

He later clarified those comments.... but you keep going with it if you'd like. Unless there's an executive directive to slow testing down, you are repeating anti-Trump talking points.

I tire of hearing stupid partisans attempt to scapegoat this president by politicizing a virus.

Nobody cares what you're tired of. He is the president, and he has failed miserably.

Nobody cares what you're tired of. He is the president, and he has failed miserably.

You care or you wouldn't have attempted to respond like a pubescent partisan.

Jesus, you live in a different MAGA filled world than the rest of us. All of Trumps early actions were for political reasons. You saying you are sick of stupid partisans is funny, you are a total 100% partisan Cult member

You care or you wouldn't have attempted to respond like a pubescent partisan.

No, I really don't care.

Not even a bit.

I just thought you might like to know, so you wouldn't continue to be boring. This would be best for all parties.

No, I really don't care.

Not even a bit.

I just thought you might like to know, so you wouldn't continue to be boring. This would be best for all parties.

Same verse as the first.
You care.

Jesus, you live in a different MAGA filled world than the rest of us. All of Trumps early actions were for political reasons. You saying you are sick of stupid partisans is funny, you are a total 100% partisan Cult member

And you live on planet anti-Trump...

All politicians act for their own reasons. It's a called a mandate to fulfill campaign promises to the electorate.
Again, I am tired of partisans who won't admit that all the horse manure that they help spread is to scapegoat this president for everything.

Thank you for caring.
You could send flowers to show how much you really care if you'd like... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom