• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most addictive food

Most addictive Food?

• Pizza

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Chocolate

• Chips

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Cookies

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Ice Cream

• French Fries

• Cheeseburgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soda

• Cake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The folks at the University of Michigan wanted to find out too and figured out the reasons we binge on certain foods. They came up with a ranking of most-addictive foods.

Probably to no one’s surprise, pizza topped the list, followed by chocolate and chips.

The study’s authors say there’s a reason for that.

“Processed foods, or foods with added amounts of fat and/or refined carbohydrates, were most associated with addictive-like eating behaviors,” according to the report published in the Public Library of Science.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2018/12/07/most-addictive-foods-why-we-love-them/

Chips are for me. I put chips in my sandwiches and burgers...

Last edited:
Bacon.

Bacon and eggs. Bacon and beef. Bacon and sausage. Bacon and salad. Bacon and potatoes. Bacon and ice cream. Bacon and apple pie. Bacon and bourbon. Bacon and pizza. Bacon and pasta. Bacon and broccoli.

Bacon.

Had to go with ice cream, but cookies is a close second (or even first when fresh out of the oven).

But why choose? I keep seeing these cookie dough places popping up that sell it like ice cream.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2018/12/07/most-addictive-foods-why-we-love-them/

Chips are for me. I put chips in my sandwiches and burgers...

I enjoy every food on your list from time to time but I don't crave any of them and can easily pass up any one of them if I'm not in the mood for it. Some I pretty much avoid for health reasons, but I am not religious about it.

But I was apparently born with a sweet tooth. And sometimes I simply must have something sweet. A teaspoon of honey or maple syrup will usually suffice, but I simply must have it. It's a terrible cross to bear if you have fluctuating weight issues.

Had to go with ice cream, but cookies is a close second (or even first when fresh out of the oven).

But why choose? I keep seeing these cookie dough places popping up that sell it like ice cream.

Why would anyone eat cookie dough? That's disgusting and dangerous.

Yes, chips are my weak point too. Classic Lays. And man, put a nice garlic yogurt dip to go with it, and it's all over!

How do you ‘dip’ Classic Lays? I can break Doritos in room temperature bean dip. I love Lays Classic, but can only use one hand for all the grease. And they are fragile..........

It can be any of them... or any food. Depends on the mood.

Why would anyone eat cookie dough? That's disgusting and dangerous.
Not at all dangerous if you take out the egg.

I must admit it doesn't have nearly the appeal that it did when I was a kid.

How do you ‘dip’ Classic Lays? I can break Doritos in room temperature bean dip. I love Lays Classic, but can only use one hand for all the grease. And they are fragile..........

I don't know, this may be just "my thing", but get some yogurt, mix in a little salt and garlic powder and mix to taste. That is a great dip for the Classic Lays. When I was a young teen I could go through a whole large bag of chips like that.

Not at all dangerous if you take out the egg.

I must admit it doesn't have nearly the appeal that it did when I was a kid.

Many things fall into that category!

Well, maybe the researchers are right...I don't know for I've not read their study and its methodology. Be that as it may, I'm surprised alcoholic beverages aren't noted on the list. They are the one food item I can think of that and to which folks are indeed addicted.

I do know that folks I know well don't exhibit addictive behavior with regard to any of the foods noted in the poll answer options.
  • The person becomes obsessed (constantly thinks of) the object, activity, or substance.
  • They will seek it out, or engage in the behavior even though it is causing harm (physical problems, poor work or study performance, problems with friends, family, fellow workers).
    • Xelor: Does gluttony to the extent that folks become obese count? If so, wouldn't that be food in general rather than a specific food item?
  • The person will compulsively engage in the activity, that is, performs the activity over and over even if he/she does not want to and find it difficult to stop.
  • Upon cessation of the activity, withdrawal symptoms often occur. These can include irritability, craving, restlessness or depression. The person does not appear to have control as to when, how long, or how much he or she will continue the behavior (loss of control). (They drink 6 beers when they only wanted one, buy 8 pairs of shoes when they only needed a belt, ate the whole box of cookies, etc).
    • Xelor: Withdrawal from...pizza? What?
  • He/she often denies problems resulting from his/her engagement in the behavior, even though others can see the negative effects.
    • Xelor: I'm willing to sort of "buy" the notion that obese people are addicted to food, but only to a point because the overweight folks I know seem also to have a "phobia" regarding exercise.
  • Person hides the behavior after family or close friends have mentioned their concern. (hides food under beds, alcohol bottles in closets, doesn't show spouse credit card bills, etc).
    • Xelor: What a strange "world" one must live in that one feels obliged to hide food. Booze? Sure, that I understand, but other food items? Why? It's just food.....
  • Many individuals with addictive behaviors report a blackout for the time they were engaging in the behavior (don't remember how much or what they bought, how much the lost gambling, how many miles they ran on a sore foot, what they did at the party when drinking).
  • Depression is common in individuals with addictive behaviors. That is why it is important to make an appointment with a physician to find out what is going on.
  • Individuals with addictive behaviors often have low self esteem, feel anxious if the do not have control over their environment, and come from psychologically or physically abusive families.
    • Xelor: Call me crazy, but something tells me that eating one's way to becoming "two tons of fun" isn't going to make one feel better about oneself, unless perhaps one lives in a commune comprised of "chubby chasers."

Bacon.

Bacon and eggs. Bacon and beef. Bacon and sausage. Bacon and salad. Bacon and potatoes. Bacon and ice cream. Bacon and apple pie. Bacon and bourbon. Bacon and pizza. Bacon and pasta. Bacon and broccoli.

Bacon.

Let me guess.....you like bacon! :cool:

It comes in phases. Sometimes it is fries, sometimes chips, but I could eat a soft boiled egg every morning.

Pizza for me, its got your four basic food groups in it. ;)

As I have gotten older, I have found Pita chips and hummus are pretty good. It's healthy, and addictive- but can be eaten guilt-free. If anyone asks, I can tell them it's "Mediterranean diet". The hummus has to be a certain particular kind they have at a local Lebanese grocery store near our house. I don't know what they do, but it is the best darned hummus I have had anywhere. I think they put more lemon and salt in it than the average hummus, but I'm not sure. Whatever. It's great stuff for a snack, or even a quick, light meal. They also have great tabouli to go with it. And there are these canned sour cherry drinks, imported from Turkey, which go very well with it. Healthy, and addictive!

As I have gotten older, I have found Pita chips and hummus are pretty good. It's healthy, and addictive- but can be eaten guilt-free. If anyone asks, I can tell them it's "Mediterranean diet". The hummus has to be a certain particular kind they have at a local Lebanese grocery store near our house. I don't know what they do, but it is the best darned hummus I have had anywhere. I think they put more lemon and salt in it than the average hummus, but I'm not sure. Whatever. It's great stuff for a snack, or even a quick, light meal. They also have great tabouli to go with it. And there are these canned sour cherry drinks, imported from Turkey, which go very well with it. Healthy, and addictive!

We make our own, it is very easy, and often dip veggies instead of the chips.

Back
Top Bottom