• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mosquito Holocaust

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Mosquito Holocaust: Taiwanese Woman Kills 4 Million Bloodsuckers | TakePart - Inspiration to Action

Mosquitoes, the bloodsucking insects responsible for spreading diseases like malaria and dengue fever, have met their match.

Huang Yu-yen is her name, and she is the reigning champion in a Taiwanese mosquito-collecting competition.

She captured 4 million mosquitoes over one month, beating out 72 competitors in a promotion organized by Imbictus International.

wow, that collection sucks, but i bet it gave her a buzz.
rimshotplz.gif

if only she could duplicate it with lawyers

However, dengue fever—an extremely painful and sometimes life-threatening malady—is still prevalent in the island nation, and it starts with a mosquito bite.

The disease is entering its peak season in Taiwan; 336 cases and six deaths were reported from January to June this year.

Bed nets, bug spray and wearing long pants are good ways to avoid mosquitoes, but Yu-yen's massive insect extermination might be the most satisfying means of prevention.

Dengue fever is a problem here every summer. There are mosquitoes in large numbers here, especially around the rice fields where there is often significant amounts of standing water.

Finally, a news outlet that calls Taiwan what it is ... an "island nation"

if only she could duplicate it with lawyers

I guess you'd change your mind if you're wrongly accused of a crime or a doctor screws up and hurts you or you get into a car accident and it's the other guys fault.

Judges are lawyers first as well.

Who will put away criminals?

Needs one of these. 50-100 mosquitos per second.

That would barely make a dent in mosquito swarms around rice fields... They are the primary reason I wear protective glasses when I ride in the early morning or at dusk...

Last edited:
How long before Ahmedinejad denies this?

That would barely make a dent in mosquito swarms around rice fields... They are the primary reason I wear protective glasses when I ride in the early morning or at dusk...
50 per second is 4.5 million per 24 hours. While that's unrealistic - I don't think they fly all that time, for example - whoever said you only had to have one camera/laser?

Zzzzap.

How long before Ahmedinejad denies this?
I was thinking more on the lines of 'how long until the US army adapts it to dazzle attacking combatants', myself. Facetraking software is pretty good too...

Dengue fever is a problem here every summer. There are mosquitoes in large numbers here, especially around the rice fields where there is often significant amounts of standing water.

Finally, a news outlet that calls Taiwan what it is ... an "island nation"

Dengue fever is an occasional problem in Houston too, along with West Nile fever, and St. Louis Encyphilitis. Harris County just did a huge spray over large portions of the city, after finding West Nile virus in captured mosquitos.

Back
Top Bottom