• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mosque supporters beg George W. Bush to come to Obama's rescue

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Link

By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
08/18/10 10:02 AM EDT

There's a new argument emerging among supporters of the Ground Zero mosque. Distressed by President Obama's waffling on the issue, they're calling on former President George W. Bush to announce his support for the project, because in this case Bush understands better than Obama the connection between the war on terror and the larger question of America's relationship with Islam. It's an extraordinary change of position for commentators who long argued that Bush had done grievous harm to America's image in the Muslim world and that Obama represented a fresh start for the United States. Nevertheless, they are now seeing a different side of the former president.
"It's time for W. to weigh in," writes the New York Times' Maureen Dowd. Bush, Dowd explains, understands that "you can't have an effective war against the terrorists if it is a war on Islam." Dowd finds it "odd" that Obama seems less sure on that matter. But to set things back on the right course, she says, "W. needs to get his bullhorn back out" -- a reference to Bush's famous "the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!" speech at Ground Zero on September 14, 2001.
Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson is also looking for an assist from Bush. "I&hellipwould love to hear from former President Bush on this issue," Robinson wrote Tuesday in a Post chat session. "He held Ramadan iftar dinners in the White House as part of a much broader effort to show that our fight against the al-Qaeda murderers who attacked us on 9/11 was not a crusade against Islam. He was absolutely right on this point, and it would be helpful to hear his views."
"Miss me yet?" Well it looks like things have come full circle. This is completely unexpected to me.

Link

"Miss me yet?" Well it looks like things have come full circle. This is completely unexpected to me.

Bush was not an Islamophobe, but respected Islam as a religion, and many leaders in the Mideast, especically Saudi Arabia, respected him. I miss the fact that Bush is no longer active in the Republican party as a major spokesman.

Interesting.

The liberal-progressives demonized this man; the uber liberals choreographed a play about his assassination which was disgusting. Now ... they *beg* for Bush's imprimatur for The Temple of Hate in lower Manhattan!

As the French say, awn-kray-dee-blah.

I have absolutely *no* respect for "Dubyah"; if he caves and supports this bigoted Islamic-Klan Center, I won't be suprised.

Link

wait WHAT? bush held ramadan dinners and was not CRUCIFIED by the right for that? OMG!

wait WHAT? bush held ramadan dinners and was not CRUCIFIED by the right for that? OMG!

Hmmm. A thoughtful person might take this moment of dissonance as an opportunity to reflect on whether or not her conceptions of things (and people) actually match up to reality.

Bush was not an Islamophobe, but respected Islam as a religion, and many leaders in the Mideast, especically Saudi Arabia, respected him. I miss the fact that Bush is no longer active in the Republican party as a major spokesman.
I hope that Bush would feel the same way the majority of Americans feel. That the right to build it doesn't mean it's the best idea.
I also hope he refuses to weigh in. No matter what he says he'll be bashed bashed by someone.
By the way, who thinks this is a left and right issue?
Tea Partiers haven't weighed in and I don't think they plan to. The liberals and conservatives on TV and talk have, but what about the general public? Are they weighing in on party lines I wonder? 64% against makes me think otherwise.

Hmmm. A thoughtful person might take this moment of dissonance as an opportunity to reflect on whether or not her conceptions of things (and people) actually match up to reality.

maybe.......

and another might imagine that were obama to hold a ramadan dinner today, he would be crucified by the right. or should i say far right.

I hope that Bush would feel the same way the majority of Americans feel. That the right to build it doesn't mean it's the best idea.
I also hope he refuses to weigh in. No matter what he says he'll be bashed bashed by someone.
By the way, who thinks this is a left and right issue?
Tea Partiers haven't weighed in and I don't think they plan to. The liberals and conservatives on TV and talk have, but what about the general public? Are they weighing in on party lines I wonder? 64% against makes me think otherwise.

why do you hope he refuses?

Barbbtx,

The latest poll today on Rasmussen is 69% against Obama and 67% against the Islamic Temple of Hate.

Most Americans are against the Hamasque; it will, like other large, notable mosques, draw the usual ash and trash of the Islamic movement - left-wing students, anti-Semitic organizations, Islamic hate groups, CAIR, etc.

Americans do not want anything to do with this place, although Mr. Obama strongly supports it and *Sharia Law*.

maybe.......

and another might imagine that were obama to hold a ramadan dinner today, he would be crucified by the right. or should i say far right.

He held one on this past Friday.

He held one last year, too.

why do you hope he refuses?
Because I like him and I've seen enough Bush bashing in my lifetime. No matter what he would say it wouldn't improve his image to the bashers. If the mosque would get built and our relations with Muslims declined, it would be "Bushs Fault" If it wasn't built and it declined, it would be "Bushs Fault." If things got better either way, it would be to Obama's credit.
I hope he's sitting back and saying. "Not in this lifetime. This is your Barack's baby."

He held one on this past Friday.

He held one last year, too.

As did former Pres. G. W. Bush atleast twice while he was in office, but I don't recall anyone complaining about that back then. As for him publicly speaking out on this issue, this is the one time I think he should stay out of it. I know he's a civilian now, but his position as a former President discussing such issues that are contrary to the position of a sitting President sets a very bad precedent. Besides, President Obama hasn't said whether or not the mosque "should" be built; he merely said he respects their legal right under local law and the Constitution to build it....big difference.

Last edited:
Because I like him and I've seen enough Bush bashing in my lifetime. No matter what he would say it wouldn't improve his image to the bashers. If the mosque would get built and our relations with Muslims declined, it would be "Bushs Fault" If it wasn't built and it declined, it would be "Bushs Fault." If things got better either way, it would be to Obama's credit.
I hope he's sitting back and saying. "Not in this lifetime. This is your Barack's baby."

so, you think he should be petulant and put himself first? got it.

and people complained.

Who? You didn't even know it happened until I pointed it out, else you wouldn't have said "if he were to today," so you obviously hadn't heard of any complaints.

Sure, there might have been some jackasses here or there, but there always are.

so, you think he should be petulant and put himself first? got it.

He should have that privilege. He put us first for 8 yrs. I hope he's doing something frivilous like golfing again.

As did former Pres. G. W. Bush atleast twice while he was in office, but I don't recall anyone complaining about that back then.

I don't recall anyone complaining about it now. As I said to liblady, who did so?

I don't recall anyone complaining about it now. As I said to liblady, who did so?

I don't quite get your point. ???

If I understand Liblady correctly, she is referring to those who have complained about Pres. Obama hosting a dinner in honor of Ramadon, not whether or not people complained about it when former Pres. G. W. Bush did it. In which case I'm saying I don't recall reading where anyone had a problem with G. W. Bushing having done so, whereas, obviously there are plenty of people who have complained about Pres. Obama doing it.

So, if you're asking me where have I read where people complained of G. W. Bush doing it, I'd say I'm the wrong person to ask. As far as I know, people were mute on that issue back then. Besides, I'm not the one complaining about it one way or the other. I'm just saying both Presidents played host over the same Muslim religious holiday and neither side has the right to complain about it one way or the other. I mean, there are 3 prominant holy holidays in this country. Two are secular Christian holidays - Easter, Christmas - which apply to most religions in the U.S. The other is Ramadon. As far as I am aware, all have been celebrated by Presidents, past and present, in the White House for years.

Last edited:
I think at this point, reverse psychology is meaningless.

If you want "reverse psychology" (or perhaps it's "upside down"), how about liblady apparently arguing that Bush has some kind of duty to weigh in and help fix the mess when Obama couldn't? If he didn't, she says it would be "petulant" and selfish. :shock:

Barbbtx,

The latest poll today on Rasmussen is 69% against Obama and 67% against the Islamic Temple of Hate.

Most Americans are against the Hamasque; it will, like other large, notable mosques, draw the usual ash and trash of the Islamic movement - left-wing students, anti-Semitic organizations, Islamic hate groups, CAIR, etc.

Americans do not want anything to do with this place, although Mr. Obama strongly supports it and *Sharia Law*.

Thank God our government is not run by mob rule and public opinion polls.

I don't quite get your point. ???

If I understand Liblady correctly, she is referring to those who have complained about Pres. Obama hosting a dinner in honor of Ramadon, not whether or not people complained about it when former Pres. G. W. Bush did it. In which case I'm saying I don't recall reading where anyone had a problem with G. W. Bushing having done so, whereas, obviously there are plenty of people who have complained about Pres. Obama doing it.

So, if you're asking me where have I read where people complained of G. W. Bush doing it, I'd say I'm the wrong person to ask. As far as I know, people were mute on that issue back. Besides, I'm not the one complaining about it one way or the other. I'm just saying both Presidents played host over the same Muslim religious holiday and neither side has the right to complain about it one way or the other. I mean, there are 3 prominant holy holidays in this country. Two are secular Christian holidays - Easter, Christmas - which apply to most religions in the U.S. The other is Ramadon. As far as I am aware, all have been celebrated by Presidents, past and present, in the White House for years.

No, OV. I'm asking you, who complained about Obama hosting a Ramadan dinner? It's not the slightest bit "obvious" that anyone did, let alone "plenty." So, who did?

As for liblady, she had no idea Obama had even hosted one at all. She speculated that if he did, they'd complain.

But he did. Twice. She didn't know of anyone who had complained, because she didn't even know it had ever happened in the first place for anyone to complain about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom