• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Morons in Charge of Security

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
It's a pattern we've seen before: Officials declare an institution such as a school or a workplace a gun free zone and then neglect to establish an adequate security perimeter to keep guns out. The result is that you have a population of people guaranteed to be unarmed and vulnerable to anyone who wants to take scalps.

Many, many college campuses meet this description. The Navy Yard in Washington, DC met that description.

What can we say about this situation? IMHO it is that these officials are morons, idiots, beneath contempt, deserving of endless scorn. Bureaucratic nulls who have blood on their hands; the blood of the innocent people whose security for which they were responsible.

Forget the random nut job. We have terrorists out there who are trying to find ways to hurt us. There is absolutely no excuse for these inadequate and idiotic security policies. In all cases there should be people ready to meet force with force, either at the perimeter or patrolling inside the facility, preferably both. Failing that, allow people to arm themselves.

They will be properly rewarded for their complete failure with increased authority and more tax money handed to them. Rest assured that none will be fired, demoted or charged with dereliction of duty. Blame will be placed everywhere (in small degrees) yet nobody will be said to be actually responsible. The solution will be less freedom, more government and at a much higher cost - let no crisis go to waste.

It's a pattern we've seen before: Officials declare an institution such as a school or a workplace a gun free zone and then neglect to establish an adequate security perimeter to keep guns out. The result is that you have a population of people guaranteed to be unarmed and vulnerable to anyone who wants to take scalps.

Many, many college campuses meet this description. The Navy Yard in Washington, DC met that description.

What can we say about this situation? IMHO it is that these officials are morons, idiots, beneath contempt, deserving of endless scorn. Bureaucratic nulls who have blood on their hands; the blood of the innocent people whose security for which they were responsible.

Forget the random nut job. We have terrorists out there who are trying to find ways to hurt us. There is absolutely no excuse for these inadequate and idiotic security policies. In all cases there should be people ready to meet force with force, either at the perimeter or patrolling inside the facility, preferably both. Failing that, allow people to arm themselves.

I agree with this. We have good evidence that suggests gun free zones cause more innocent casualties. We should allow people to arm themselves and then see what evidence that brings. Doing the same thing over and over with casualties is just nuts. Time for a new approach on stopping gun violence. Sometimes, fighting fire with fire actually works.

Well, that's not exactly true. There were armed security personnel on duty. Don't know how many -- and obviously not enough -- or poor communication, or whatever.

Well, that's not exactly true. There were armed security personnel on duty. Don't know how many -- and obviously not enough -- or poor communication, or whatever.

The fact, as I understand it, that the guy was able to take out a guard with a shotgun suggests that something wasn't right.

The fact, as I understand it, that the guy was able to take out a guard with a shotgun suggests that something wasn't right.

Thing is, "the good guy" doesn't know if it's really "a bad guy" or not. That hesitation costs lives. It can't be any other way, but good guys aren't shooting indiscriminately the way bad guys are.

IMHO the Navy Yard would have been much more secure if it had had military security. There is a world of difference.

The last three large media event shootings all occurred in gun free zones. The Naval property had armed security that failed. Newtown and the Colrado theater had no such security and were as the OP stated, sitting ducks.

Mall cops. Hired by an outside firm paying probably 11 bucks an hour.

It was a naval base. It should have been guarded by Marines, not outsourced civilians. They are clearly not prepared to handle these threats to military security.

It was a naval base. It should have been guarded by Marines, not outsourced civilians. They are clearly not prepared to handle these threats to military security.
Rarely is base security here in the US that air tight.
Heck, up until the late 80s Patrick AFB was a walk on base by anyone. No pass needed.
I do find it odd that everyone killed seemed to be in their 50s and up.

Rarely is base security here in the US that air tight.
Heck, up until the late 80s Patrick AFB was a walk on base by anyone. No pass needed.
I do find it odd that everyone killed seemed to be in their 50s and up.

All you need to get on-post in Bliss and Hood is a valid DL and car insurance. They still let me into Hood, even though I accidentally gave them my old expired insurance card. WSMR was a little more strict, but Soldiers were bringing civilians on post all the time.

I'll wait until all the facts are out to see why Alexis did what he did. Right now, all we know is that he was a former Petty Officer in the Naval reserve, and that he killed 12, injured 8, and got himself killed. If I'm not mistaken, the victims were DoD civilians, not Naval personnel.

All you need to get on-post in Bliss and Hood is a valid DL and car insurance. They still let me into Hood, even though I accidentally gave them my old expired insurance card. WSMR was a little more strict, but Soldiers were bringing civilians on post all the time.

I'll wait until all the facts are out to see why Alexis did what he did. Right now, all we know is that he was a former Petty Officer in the Naval reserve, and that he killed 12, injured 8, and got himself killed. If I'm not mistaken, the victims were DoD civilians, not Naval personnel.
Seems he was a nut job hearing voices and all that. At least that is what he was telling the cops not long before the shooting. Iam sure those cops are in some sort of trouble.

If that's true, the Navy brass should be ashamed.

They sub-contracted out background checks, and look where that got them.

The same company also vetted Snowden.

They sub-contracted out background checks, and look where that got them.

The same company also vetted Snowden.

I guess the DOD likes to save money so they can pay mercs, I mean "private security contractors," the big bucks to f*** s*** up.

:shoot :shoot :shoot :shoot

Seems he was a nut job hearing voices and all that. At least that is what he was telling the cops not long before the shooting. Iam sure those cops are in some sort of trouble.

I doubt they're in any trouble. If anything, they just file their report, fill out a statement, and then all is forgotten on account of them killing a violent psychopath.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062343495 said:
I guess the DOD likes to save money so they can pay mercs, I mean "private security contractors," the big bucks to f*** s*** up.

:shoot :shoot :shoot :shoot

Contractors cost more than regulars.

We need to petition congress into making "bullet free zones", that'll work. (~sarcasm~)

Back
Top Bottom