• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mormon Church Comes Out In Support Of Same-Sex Marriage Law

Liberal7360

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I wonder how many of the far right mormons will accept this?

I wonder how the evangelicals will react.

I applaud the mormon church for publicly supporting equal marriage rights for everyone.

This makes sense since it allows for plural marriage, ie a man marrying two women they also marry each other.

This makes sense since it allows for plural marriage, ie a man marrying two women they also marry each other.
This makes no sense. "It" doesn't allow for plural marriage.

Oh wait... was this conservative humor? Tell me it was and I will document the occasion.

That's strange. The mormon church banned plural marriage in 1890.

Can you give me the date the church reversed that ban?

I need to thank you for confirming my belief of what other christians will do.

Below is the list of crimes Momanism's founding father Joseph Smith was either charged or convicted of:

1. 1826 - disorderly person
  2. 1830 - disorderly person
  3. 1830 - disorderly person
  4. 1837 - illegal banking
  5. 1837 - conspiracy to murder
  6. 1838 - banking fraud
  7. 1838 - threatening a judge
  8. 1838 - treason against Missouri
  9. 1842 - conspiracy to murder the governor
  10. 1843 - treason against Missouri
  11. 1844 - perjury, fornication, adultery
  12. 1844 - inciting a riot
  13. 1844 - treason against Illinois

Back to point: The church's opinion on such matters should be irrelevant. Religious organizations have no moral place in modern society.

This makes no sense. "It" doesn't allow for plural marriage.
It literally does. The same law that allows same sex marriage also allows three or more persons to wed.

Oh wait... was this conservative humor?
I'm not conservative.

Tell me it was and I will document the occasion.
This is occasion when your screen name is perfect.

Below is the list of crimes Momanism's founding father Joseph Smith was either charged or convicted of:

6. 1838 - banking fraud

Back to point: The church's opinion on such matters should be irrelevant. Religious organizations have no moral place in modern society.
He was also murdered while in police custody.

It literally does. The same law that allows same sex marriage also allows three or more persons to wed.

I'm not conservative.

This is occasion when your screen name is perfect.

He was also murdered while in police custody.
Notice how you don't explain this. You should just back slowly out of this thread.

I applaud the mormon church for publicly supporting equal marriage rights for everyone.

"Conservatives" usually just try to preserve the status quo. They don't like change.

So when an idea is new, they will fiercely oppose it. But once it becomes mainstream and established in society, they will start to act like it was their idea all along. That's exactly the same thing that happened with the abolition of slavery and women's suffrage movements.

Notice how you don't explain this. You should just back slowly out of this thread.
That was an explanation.

Simple mathematics requires that in a marriage of three or more at least two will be of the same sex. The law protects the right of those two to marry.

They don't allow plural marriages.

That was an explanation.

Simple mathematics requires that in a marriage of three or more at least two will be of the same sex. The law protects the right of those two to marry.
nope

6. 1838 - banking fraud

Holy cow, he was as bad as Trump.

It's just a matter of time before plural marriages become legalized. It will make for interesting financial aspects. If you're in a plural marriage with Steve, and Steve is in one with Joan, does it mean you're married to Joan?

We may need to create LLMCs (Limited Liability Marital Corporations) to deal with the financial details.

It's just a matter of time before plural marriages become legalized. It will make for interesting financial aspects. If you're in a plural marriage with Steve, and Steve is in one with Joan, does it mean you're married to Joan?

We may need to create LLMCs (Limited Liability Marital Corporations) to deal with the financial details.
sure

A half measure unworthy of praise. The church continues to teach that homosexuality is a sin.

Cite, with link, the law you say allows polygamy.

There is no real reason to listen to the Mormons on really any subject, the issue of same sex marriage included.

It allows for polygamy, that is why.

Cite, with link, the law you say allows polygamy.
If they allow same sex marriage, they will have no choice but to allow polygamy.....anything else would be discrimination. (note I am not in favor of polygamy, but it is also not my business what grown folks do in their private lives.

If they allow same sex marriage, they will have no choice but to allow polygamy.....anything else would be discrimination. (note I am not in favor of polygamy, but it is also not my business what grown folks do in their private lives.
One doesn’t necessarily follow/support the other.

“If someone can legally purchase/consume alcohol at age 21, it’s discrimination against 20 year olds.”

“If someone can legally purchase an AR at age 18, it’s discrimination against 17 year olds, 16 year olds, etc..”

Here's what the bill literally says...
In General.—No person acting under color of State law may deny—

“(1) full faith and credit to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other State pertaining to a marriage between 2 individuals...

Here's what the bill literally says...
Don't you understand how that wording covers two people when one is already married to a third person?

Also the full faith and credit part is important. It requires states to acknowledge a plural marriage if it is legal in another state.

Back
Top Bottom