• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Morgan Freeman Slams Black History month

easyt65

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The NAACP says they exist to promote equality and end racism.

Not long ago, Bill Cosby slammed the NAACP as one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, contribuors/advocates of racism because it is a BILLION dollar a year Industry from which they make a 'killing'. Cosby said if there were not racism, there would be no need for the NAACP, thus no steady flow of so much money into THEIR organization and pockets. The NAACP quickly rebuked Cosby and called him an 'Uncle Tom'.

Many liberals call successful blacks in the GOP 'Uncle Toms', like Colin Powell, although there are more minorities and more in higher positions of power in the Bush administration than in any administration in history.

Now, today, actor Morgan Freeman called the idea of having a Black history Month 'ridiculous'! He said thast such an event - an isolated block of time - was PROMOTING racism, a division based on color, not promoting equality and a nation/world that does not immediately see the color of skin! He stated that Black History is HISTORY and should be taught equally in classrooms throughout the United States, not just 'celebrated' one month a year!

:applaud :clap: :bravo:
Well said, Mr. Freeman, well said!

easyt65 said:

Not long ago, Bill Cosby slammed the NAACP as one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, contribuors/advocates of racism because it is a BILLION dollar a year Industry from which they make a 'killing'. Cosby said if there were not racism, there would be no need for the NAACP, thus no steady flow of so much money into THEIR organization and pockets. The NAACP quickly rebuked Cosby and called him an 'Uncle Tom'.

Many liberals call successful blacks in the GOP 'Uncle Toms', like Colin Powell, although there are more minorities and more in higher positions of power in the Bush administration than in any administration in history.

Now, today, actor Morgan Freeman called the idea of having a Black history Month 'ridiculous'! He said thast such an event - an isolated block of time - was PROMOTING racism, a division based on color, not promoting equality and a nation/world that does not immediately see the color of skin! He stated that Black History is HISTORY and should be taught equally in classrooms throughout the United States, not just 'celebrated' one month a year!

I am so pleased to hear black men speaking up about this! The more we try and tip toe around this issue, is the longer this keep us all apart, and that is not what anyone wants, save a few radical opportunists. The day of the big business of racism is slowly ending, good riddance.

I always liked Morgan Freeman. Glad to see he isn't a disappointment when he's speaking without a script.

easyt65 said:
Many liberals call successful blacks in the GOP 'Uncle Toms', like Colin Powell,

And what liberals would these be?
Do conservatives have a term for successful black Democrats?

easyt65 said:
although there are more minorities and more in higher positions of power in the Bush administration than in any administration in history.

You do know that there are NO elected black Republicans in today's Congress don't you, so your point would be? :confused:

BWG said:

Speaking only for myself, I can think of a lot of terms for someone like that.

Determined, dynamic, energetic, enterprising, enthusiastic, industrious, hard-working, perservering, devoted, purposeful.

I don't get it. What does color or political leaning have to do with success?

i agree. i cant believe that teh NAACP would stoop so low as to call people "Uncle Toms". THat in itself is racist! i agree, for a group that is supposed to promote equality and such, they sure seem racist.

Blacks can be seen in just about every aspect of life. Media,hollywood,military,you just name it. If you were to include all minoritys, American indian ,eskimos, (white man) the list is a long one, blacks are there more often than not. Just turn the boob tube on. If someone can't make by brains, special laws must therefore be created. A lot of hypocracy. Just look around down here in the South.

KCConservative said:
I don't get it. What does color or political leaning have to do with success?

I don't either. That's why I was questioning easyt65 about his remarks. It didn't fit the story. ;)

BWG said:
I don't either. That's why I was questioning easyt65 about his remarks. It didn't fit the story. ;)
No, you tried to put that stigma on easyt and you were caught red-handed. Shame on you.

KCConservative said:
No, you tried to put that stigma on easyt and you were caught red-handed. Shame on you.

Nope, he did it all own his own. This was as out of place as a sore thumb. It didn't relate to Mr. Feeman's thoughts.

easyt65 said:

As usual, in your dismal effort at humor (such as it is) you fall flat on your face.

:2wave:

And yes, we noticed you skipped over the liberals call successful blacks in the GOP 'Uncle Toms' remark, another MO of yours...LOL

BWG said:
You do know that there are NO elected black Republicans in today's Congress don't you, so your point would be?

You elect them.

BWG said:

Yes, successful Americans.

You do know that there are NO elected black Republicans in today's Congress don't you, so your point would be? :confused:

And the Democrats who get 90% of the Black vote only elected 43.

Stinger said:
Yes, successful Americans.

And the Democrats who get 90% of the Black vote only elected 43.

Not to mention, the minute they are, they are labled "Uncle Tom's" who would want that label, much less the headache?

We have tried to change that, and we have nominated the most blacks for high office, secretary of state, National security adviser, and last but certainly not least, SCJOTUS. Pffft, that issue is lame, I can't believe it still slithers it's way in to important conversations!:roll:

Deegan said:
Not to mention, the minute they are, they are labled "Uncle Tom's" who would want that label, much less the headache?

We have tried to change that, and we have nominated the most blacks for high office, secretary of state, National security adviser, and last but certainly not least, SCJOTUS. Pffft, that issue is lame, I can't believe it still slithers it's way in to important conversations!:roll:

LOL Deegan. It slinks into conversations because when people have an agenda, what's present isn't good enough, right?

Yesterday, at work (I work for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania), one of my coworkers printed off flyers announcing that every week in the month of February, there would be movies in the basement conference room celebrating Black History. While I understand the concept, I think over time, it's become nothing more than racism, itself.

While I didn't catch Morgan Freeman's speech, and have still been unable to find it in it's entirety on the net (if anyone has a link.. I'd be much obliged), to hear that Morgan Freeman says it has outlived it's purpose, denotes to me that FINALLY the tide may be turning. We can stop this separation, and history can be history, period. Not black, not white.. History.

I said in a previous thread, concerning the NAACP, that to look at what it stands for.. the advancement of colored people, isn't that what Martin Luther King did? Isn't that what Coretta Scott King did, after Martin's death? I mean, I see the advancements everyday. And yet, I see in the news people complaining there aren't enough black politicians, there aren't enough black judges, there aren't enough black coaches in the NFL. My question is... what's "enough"?

Cheers to Morgan Freeman. Can you imagine what would happen if we had a "White History Month"? My gosh, people would go NUTS.

Yes there was racism in the past, but by reminding everyone of what occurred in the past, how are we going to have total racial equality now and in the future? Sheesh.

BWG said:
After Colin Powell agreed to be on Bush's cabinet, many people in the Democratic Party were calling Powell an 'Uncle Tom'. It was quite a big issue at the time. I can see why the Democrats would like to forget that. It is much like by the end of 2007/beginning of 2008 the Democrats will be denying they ever called the majority of Americans who did not vote for them 'ignorant, in-bred, bible-thumpers', which they did while lashing out tat the people who rejected their message and their embrace of Hollywood morality.

BWG said:
I can not speak for all conservatives, however, I call them "successful Americans".
- I am not a "Party-1st, American 2nd" kind of guy. Unfortunately, the Democrats, and there are some GOP as well, who are willing to thrown anyone and anything - including this country - under the proverbial bus in order for their party to be the ones with the power.
- I am not a 'hyphenated American' kind of guy, either. We are Americans, period! I hate the term 'African-American'. 99% of the people who call themselves that have never been to Africa, their parents weren't from Africa, and so on. I am not a Scottish-Native American -- I am an American!
- And as you can tell, I pretty much hate labeling people and the politics of personal destruction. THAT is NOT what our Founding Fathers had in mind when they set up this govt!

BWG said:
You do know that there are NO elected black Republicans in today's Congress don't you?

And YOUR point would be? Are you trying to make a point as to WHY? Are you suggesting racism? Again, you throw that point out as if to say the GOP is a racist group that does not embrace black Americans and once again totally ignore the FACT that the Bush administration has more blacks and more blacks in postions of power than any - ANY - Presidential administration in the history of this country.

debate_junkie said:
Yesterday, at work (I work for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania), one of my coworkers printed off flyers announcing that every week in the month of February, there would be movies in the basement conference room celebrating Black History. While I understand the concept, I think over time, it's become nothing more than racism, itself.

:rofl I recall a couple of years ago during Black History Month when one of my sons came home from school, High School, and I asked him our of curiousity what they were doing concerning it. He said "We watched a movie". Really, "what movie" I asked. "Oh one about a group called the Temptations, man they were really into drugs and beating their women weren't they". They were showing the made-for-TV movie about the Temps. What a waste.

It's time to end this racist, bias'd observance. We don't have a Red History Month, we don't have a Yellow History Month, we don't have a White History Month. Why not have an American History Month and maybe the kids might learn something about America.

Stinger said:
:rofl I recall a couple of years ago during Black History Month when one of my sons came home from school, High School, and I asked him our of curiousity what they were doing concerning it. He said "We watched a movie". Really, "what movie" I asked. "Oh one about a group called the Temptations, man they were really into drugs and beating their women weren't they". They were showing the made-for-TV movie about the Temps. What a waste.

It's time to end this racist, bias'd observance. We don't have a Red History Month, we don't have a Yellow History Month, we don't have a White History Month. Why not have an American History Month and maybe the kids might learn something about America.
Outstanding post, stinger. Thanks for that.

BWG said:

I was trying to point out how many of these organizations that claim they are against racism and say they promote equality, like many of our politicians, actually do promote racism with their actions. I remember one of the (D) Senators, a self-proclaimed champion of equality, who had called the GOP racist turn around one election year and make the remark that Colin Powell was an 'Uncle Tom' for joining the GOP/Bush Cabinet. The 'race card' for example, has been used in election year tactics by both parties for decades! There is almost no greater demonstration of racism than when one party or the other targets a minority and tries to scare them or manipulate them into voting for them - our own Govt. uses race, much like the NAACP does, to generate dollars and votes.

You can no more claim to be pro-equality and then use such a name than you can claim to be for equality/no color but demand that one color be treated as 'special' in any way...ie a Black History month. As Freeman said, History is History! Americans are Americans!

It is time to make REAL change across the board, and I believe that it has to start by reforming and/or eliminating organizations and parties that seek to USE race to benefit their cause, agency, or wallet!

easyt65 said:

Not long ago, Bill Cosby slammed the NAACP as one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, contribuors/advocates of racism because it is a BILLION dollar a year Industry from which they make a 'killing'. Cosby said if there were not racism, there would be no need for the NAACP, thus no steady flow

of so much money into THEIR organization and pockets. The NAACP quickly rebuked Cosby and called him an 'Uncle Tom'.

The founder of black history even stated that he hoped that one day Black history would be intergrated into american history.

http://www.chipublib.org/002branches/woodson/woodsonbib.html
Dr. Woodson often said that he hoped the time would come when Negro History Week would be unnecessary; when all Americans would willingly recognize the contributions of Black Americans as a legitimate and integral part of the history of this country.

I think these men are right.Black history should be intergrated into regular american history.

Black History will NEVER be part of History as long as people settle for 1 month a year instead of pushing the status quo and demanding that ALL of American history be taught, not just the 'white version'!

I quite frankly find it disturbing that large percentages of high school students do not know who our founding fathers were, that they were almost all (all but 2) orthodox Christians, which directly influenced the type of goverment this country formed. I find it disturbing that many kids don't know that at one time the U.S. made it legal to kill native Americans, something never done against any other race. That legislation was eventually repealed, but it existed for a short time. I wonder what they ARE teaching at times, and I know there is a lot out there that is being omitted.

Although not the thread for it, I found that my son's history book does contain references to Jesus Christ, but the book teaches that Jesus was a Prophet ONLY, nothing more. I have a serious problem with that. We believe in the bible, and we believe Christ was God's son. If prayer and religeon does not belong in school, remove all of it - don't teach my kids that Jesus was just a prophet, which - to us - is a lie.

:doh

There I go on a tirade again.....er, uh...anyway, it is good that this individual HOPES Black History will one day become part of the HISTORY curriculum, but hopes don't get it done. We need to do what Nike said, JUST DO IT!

easyt65 said:
And YOUR point would be? Are you trying to make a point as to WHY? Are you suggesting racism? Again, you throw that point out as if to say the GOP is a racist group that does not embrace black Americans and once again totally ignore the FACT that the Bush administration has more blacks and more blacks in postions of power than any - ANY - Presidential administration in the history of this country.

No, not at all. My response was to your statement in your first post that I copied below, in which you tried to portray liberals as racist and the GOP as the saviour and promoter of the black American population. I commend this administration for appointing minorities to 'power positions'. It is relatively easy to appoint anyone to anything, but the real substance is electing and trusting someone to represent you in governmental affairs. Spare me the lip service and show me the money. Your statement had no purpose in this thread. Still you throw out that ol' 'I remember some' and 'I recall one' crap. That BS don't fly.

easyt65 said:

I am in agreement with everyone here in that racism should be eliminated, I think that is a given. However, the ones that believe it has been and is no longer a problem that needs to be dealt with, is either in denial or chooses to pretend the problem doesn't exist.

Excerpts from the 60 Minute interview with Morgan Freeman

On the Mississippi state flag, with its confederate emblem.

“That flag has always represented, number one, treason and, number two, a separation of white people from Jews, niggers and homosexuals. And you can't change that. You can't tell me I'm never going to be able to look at that flag and think, ‘Ah, it's my heritage, my, you know...’ Never,” says Freeman.

How can we get rid of racism?

“Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man,” Freeman says to Wallace. “And I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman. You wouldn't say, ‘Well, I know this white guy named Mike Wallace.’ You know what I'm sayin’?”

60 Minute Article

Back
Top Bottom