• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Morgan Freeman calls Tea Party racist

Morgan Freeman is entitled to his opinion. Other very well informed people, too, have reached that same conclusion; he's not alone. I think it's more complex than simple racism though.

Personally, the Tea Party people are primarily reactionaries. They are fundamentally white, upper middle class conservative people, fellow baby boomers, who see the world they know rapidly passing them by. By mid century Caucasians will merely be the plurality in this country, no longer the majority. People of color are finally being fully integrated into American society, and, yes, they aren't exactly comfortable with that; they simply cannot imagine a black family living in the upper quarters of the White House. Known homosexuals are no longer being automatically and universally shunned. Government is playing an increasingly more important role in our complex society. Agnosticism and atheism are among the fastest spreading religious persuasions. And, America is just a leading country among increasingly competitive nations around the world.

All of this was enough to deliver the angry white guy phenomenon of previous elections. But, now, on top of it all add the increasingly crushing pressure on the middle class to maintain their current lifestyles during a period of falling home values, flat salaries, a quarter of the population out of work or under employed, a federal government running trillion dollar deficits and these people have gone postal. They have become so irrational, that you see signs saying, "Keep your government hands off my medicare!"

The Tea Party people would be sympathetic if they weren't so ugly in their bizarre, even insane accusations and causes. We are faced with an irrational political movement which has already damaged the credit rating of the American nation and may be capable of far more harm going forward. Are they racist? Probably, yes, somewhat, but, probably in terms of what's really important, the thing to focus on is that they suffer from a kind of fear that is founded on a potent, intoxicating mixture of fact and fiction that makes them impervious to reasoned argument and compromise. The Tea Party is one of those forces of nature that must be diverted, deflected and survived.

There is no reasoned arguement for putting the country further in debt and they are absolutely right to not compromise that position. In the end, that's what has the left so pissed. The Tea Party has taken away the blank check.

so you are not accusing me of being a racist? thank you.

sorry for the confusion.

Not that there is anything wrong with simply accusing someone of that though is there?

There is no reasoned arguement for putting the country further in debt and they are absolutely right to not compromise that position. In the end, that's what has the left so pissed. The Tea Party has taken away the blank check.

Nonsense, stimulating the economy using government borrowing in the short term is essential to addressing the long term national debt. This is Economics 101.

Not that there is anything wrong with simply accusing someone of that though is there?

accusing someone of racism without providing evidence for such a significant charge, is dishonest and shows ZERO integrity.

that's why I am glad you are not actually accusing me of being a racist.

I would NEVER accuse someone of being a racist without having damn good evidence to support such a charge.

Last edited:
Nonsense, stimulating the economy using government borrowing in the short term is essential to addressing the long term national debt. This is Economics 101.

Nonsense. It hasn't worked. Perhaps you need to get out of your Econ 101 book?

accusing someone of racism without providing evidence for such a significant charge, is dishonest and shows ZERO integrity.

I would NEVER accuse someone of being a racist without having damn good evidence to support such a charge.

Sorry, you've done nothing of the sort.

Au contraire , mon ami... you do just that when you levy a blanket charge of racism against an entire movement.

Au contraire , mon ami... you do just that when you levy a blanket charge of racism against an entire movement.

wrong my friend. wrong. we are talking about accusing individuals on this forum and in the real world, of being a racist.

and I do not do that without DAMN good evidence.

Nonsense. It hasn't worked. Perhaps you need to get out of your Econ 101 book?

You said, "There is no reasoned arguement [sic] for putting the country further in debt," and, I demonstrated that there is, in fact, a widely respected opinion in economic circles that further stimulus funded by government borrowing is indeed called for. You may disagree with that reasoning even as you disagree with broad findings that say the first stimulus definitely had an important effect in tempering the effects of the 2008 financial meltdown. You're allowed to ignore reality; the Tea Party reactionaries certainly make a habit of it.

thank you. i was shocked and confused when I thought you were accusing me of racism, especially since I have said nothing racist in this thread. you're cool. :)

You misunderstood. I am not accusing you of being a racist. I'm accusing you of accusing an entire group of people of being a racist simply because your political beliefs are different than yours.

I wouldn't describe one of doing that as being a racist but it wouldn't be a position I would be proud of.

You misunderstood. I am not accusing you of being a racist. I'm accusing you of accusing an entire group of people of being a racist simply because your political beliefs are different than yours....

keep in mind, accusing a political party or organization of being racist is not the same thing as accusing all members of being racist.

the evidence clearly shows a higher preponderance of racism among Tea-Party members. but this does not mean they are ALL racists.

You said, "There is no reasoned arguement [sic] for putting the country further in debt," and, I demonstrated that there is, in fact, a widely respected opinion in economic circles that further stimulus funded by government borrowing is indeed called for. You may disagree with that reasoning even as you disagree with broad findings that say the first stimulus definitely had an important effect in tempering the effects of the 2008 financial meltdown. You're allowed to ignore reality; the Tea Party reactionaries certainly make a habit of it.

The reality is that unemployment went up. So much so that the administration is now gun shy of even making predictions of what this program would do. Even those outside sources have noted that this program while perhaps making small short term gains, they will simply reverse themselves in a short period and all we will be is further in debt.

keep in mind, accusing a political party or organization of being racist is not the same thing as accusing all members of being racist.

the evidence clearly shows a higher preponderance of racism among Tea-Party members. but this does not mean they are ALL racists.

No, you are painting with the big brush. One can find racism in anything if they wish to look hard enough.

No, you are painting with the big brush. One can find racism in anything if they wish to look hard enough.

recognizing a higher frequency of racist attitudes among certain political & social segments of our society, is not without merit.

wrong my friend. wrong. we are talking about accusing individuals on this forum and in the real world, of being a racist.

and I do not do that without DAMN good evidence.

again, i'm 100% correct... when you indict an entire movement with racism charges, and 1 single person is not racist... you have just wrongfully accused them of racism.
you , and others, really need to sit back and rethink your tactic of blanket indictments.
you have not accused individuals of racism.. you have charged that the Tea Party is racist... and you have defended other people making those very charges.

..you have not accused individuals of racism.. you have charged that the Tea Party is racist... and you have defended other people making those very charges.

yes, yes I have. and I make no apologies.

however, I have accused no one individual of racism, nor would I ever..without damn good evidence.

recognizing a higher frequency of racist attitudes among certain political & social segments of our society, is not without merit.

You've not done that. You've made accusations such as Obama is black, certain groups do not support him, hence they dislike blacks.

however, I have accused no one individual of racism, nor would I ever..without damn good evidence.

But you will of an antire group and then claim you are not painting with the wide brush.

ahh... i like this argument.

you accuse an entire movement of racism... but you are not accusing the individuals who make up the entire movement of racism.

Liberals are retarded pedophiles....but that's ok folks, cuz' i'm not accusing any individual liberals of being retarded pedophiles.

do you understand how astoundingly stupid your argument is yet ?
blanket indictments are intellectually bankrupt, factually incorrect, and ethically faulty... but please, do continue to make them at will.

..Liberals are retarded pedophiles....but that's ok folks, cuz' i'm not accusing any individual liberals of being retarded pedophiles.....

ahhh..but you are accusing the MEMBERS...while I was accusing the MOVEMENT.

;)

in short, go ahead and attack the Democratic Party, Progressivism, Liberalism all you like. but back it up with evidence.

Last edited:
I like and respect Morgan Freeman.

I also disagree with him this time. I am disappointed that he is joining the crowd who thinks "all criticism of Obama is rooted in racism." This is nonsense. 95% of the criticism leveled at Obama is about POLICY, not race.

I for instance would have been okay with Alan Keyes as Prez. I like Herman Cain though I disagree with him on certain policy issues. My problems with Obama are rooted in policy, not race.

I love Morgan Freeman but didn't he cheat with his step-granddaughter on his wife and then marry her or is that just rumors? Have not read whole thread yet so this may have been brought up. But I recall giving him the side eye over that when it came out.

Back
Top Bottom