• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Morgan Freeman calls Tea Party racist

no, it clearly has symptons of overt racism.

You can't characterize the attitudes of the Tea Party movement because, and this is the point that I thought I just finished getting across, there is no unified movement or set of principles or spokespeople or anything that you could think of as a proper brand name.

...I won't address that validity of your links, though they are highly questionable.

what is questionable about The Dayton Daily News and the News-Gazette of Illinios?

how about you address the poll & study I posted?

Last edited:
what logical, rational, and intelligent reasons do you have for not accepting the poll & the study?

Your first quote, "They are more likely than the general public, and Republicans, to say that too much has been made of the problems facing black people," means they're insensitive to the problems facing black people -- not that they're racist.

The poll is even worse. Approximately 500 white folks were sampled, less than half of which said anything about supporting the Tea Party movemnt -- 23% strongly support it, and 22% somewhat support it. So you're essentially tagging the entire movement, which is not a unified movement by any stretch of the imagination, with the responses of less than 200 people.

Not buying it.

..The poll is even worse. Approximately 500 white folks were sampled, less than half of which said anything about supporting the Tea Party movemnt -- 23% strongly support it, and 22% somewhat support it. So you're essentially tagging the entire movement, which is not a unified movement by any stretch of the imagination, with the responses of less than 200 people.

Not buying it.

1,006 people were questioned from across the country. But yes, feel free to disregard the whole survey & feel free to come up with a more accurate one.

1,006 people were questioned from across the country. But yes, feel free to disregard the whole survey & feel free to come up with a more accurate one.

I guess you didn't read the study. Here, let me quote from some of it:

In what follows, we explore the ways in which support for the tea party movement affects Americans’ attitudes toward groups and views on important issues. Towards that end, we begin with how support for the tea party informs their view of marginalized groups in American society. Next, we assess how support for the tea party movement informs citizens’ views on liberty, equality, and perceptions of the president. To facilitate comparisons across a range of support for the tea party movement, we divide support for the tea party into four discrete groups. Respondents were required to answer a question that asked whether or not they “strongly approved” or “somewhat disapproved” of the tea party, or whether or not one “somewhat approved” or “strongly disapproved” the tea party. True believers, for us, were those who strongly approved the movement (N = 117).

Let me tell you what this means. They talked to 1006 people, it's true, but they focused their attention on the 505 white people -- 117 people is about 23% of 505, which tells you that when they were talking about "those who strongly approved the movement," they'd already eliminated the non-white people from the equasion.

Again, I say to you -- you're essentially tagging the entire movement, which is not a unified movement by any stretch of the imagination, with the responses of less than 200 people.

what is questionable about The Dayton Daily News and the News-Gazette of Illinios?

how about you address the poll & study I posted?

If the "racism" was so prevalent you'd have found articles on CNN and MSNBC. Instead, you had to defer to small town papers that don't have the same filters that the big news organizations have. And motherjones.

As for your polls, they said nothing remotely racist. You just tried to make the implication that because the Tea Party is primarily white that their motivations must be raced based. Really, your statements are far more racist than the polls you posted.

..As for your polls, they said nothing remotely racist. You just tried to make the implication that because the Tea Party is primarily white that their motivations must be raced based. Really, your statements are far more racist than the polls you posted.

what a dishonest reading of the study. it clearly shows racism by white members of the Tea Party.

Of those, only 35% believe Blacks to be hardworking, only 45 % believe Blacks are intelligent, and only 41% think that Blacks are trustworthy. Perceptions of Latinos aren’t much different. While 54% of White Tea Party supporters believe Latinos to be hardworking, only 44% think them intelligent, and even fewer, 42% of Tea Party supporters believe Latinos to be trustworthy

if this isn't racism, then racism doesn't exist.

Of those, only 35% believe Blacks to be hardworking, only 45 % believe Blacks are intelligent, and only 41% think that Blacks are trustworthy. Perceptions of Latinos aren’t much different. While 54% of White Tea Party supporters believe Latinos to be hardworking, only 44% think them intelligent, and even fewer, 42% of Tea Party supporters believe Latinos to be trustworthy

how many people polled are Tea Party supporters again?

Here's the actual poll: http://www.washingtonpoll.org/results/June1_teaparty.pdf

When you throw out the false implications, your argument fails again. You "proof" is now proven false.

what a dishonest reading of the study. it clearly shows racism by white members of the Tea Party.

It clearly shows certain attitudes held by less than 200 people. How it is that you extrapolate from there to millions of people is beyond me.

If you accuse someone of something, it's on you to prove it, not on the other guy to disprove it. You accused the Tea Party movement, so the onus was on you. All I had to do was clearly demonstrate how your proof isn't actually proof of anything, and that's exactly what I did.

If you accuse someone of something, it's on you to prove it, not on the other guy to disprove it. You accused the Tea Party movement, so the onus was on you. All I had to do was clearly demonstrate how your proof isn't actually proof of anything, and that's exactly what I did.

you have disregarded a study not with countering evidence, but simply due to the sample size.

that is not debunking...but simply hand-waving.

you have proved nothing. find a study or poll that rejects the findings of the poll I sourced, or you have proved nothing.

several hundred.

now, do you have any polls that contract this one?

several hundred is not a specific answer... and according to other people's figures here , it's not an accurate answer either.

why is this question causing you so much difficulty?

you have disregarded a study not with countering evidence, but simply due to the sample size.

that is not debunking...but simply hand-waving.

you have proved nothing. find a study or poll that rejects the findings of the poll I sourced, or you have proved nothing.

Fine.

I hereby declare myself to be an active member of the Tea Party movement.

I don't have a problem with black folks, I don't think they're lazy or more predisposed to commit crime than white folks are, and my issue with Obama is strictly because of his politics.

I have now provided you with a study that proves that 100% of active Tea Party movement membership is not racist.

Fine.

I hereby declare myself to be an active member of the Tea Party movement.

I don't have a problem with black folks, I don't think they're lazy or more predisposed to commit crime than white folks are, and my issue with Obama is strictly because of his politics.

I have now provided you with a study that proves that 100% of active Tea Party movement membership is not racist.

Cute.

Stupid & meaningless, but cute.

:)

Back
Top Bottom