• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

Whatever, the important thing this shows is wide support for this movement among both liberals and conservatives. That is what is surprising to me.

I think that's what the new talking point is... I've heard it on television now and repeated over and over again. From a purely political view, I think it's very important to repeat that over and over in order to get the OWS crowd credibility...

That would make sense... I mean a few thousand people in NYC can't be cheap to feed... or to clothe, or to provide soap and water, bathrooms. It's a wonder no one's asking who these benevolent donations are coming from isn't it? I know when I go to NYC, just for lunch I'll spend $25 bucks easy. Coffee is $7 and I'm not talking Starbucks here either.

The clip I saw they were simply making sandwiches. Still a good bit of expense for all the people that were there and for however many days it's been.

I'm not too concerned until we see where this turns into something I do not see as of yet.

The clip I saw they were simply making sandwiches. Still a good bit of expense for all the people that were there and for however many days it's been.

I'm not too concerned until we see where this turns into something I do not see as of yet.

Best way to find the root of a belief is to follow the money....

Yeah... don't know who Buddy Roemer is, but I'm sure Buddy isn't my representative, nor does he speak for me. Is this supposed to prove something?

Just an example of bipartisan support for not providing bailout's to Wall street while letting main street continue to sink.

Best way to find the root of a belief is to follow the money....

This is the arguement the "left" (sorry generalizing here) used to dismiss the Tea Party. You buy that?

This is the arguement the "left" (sorry generalizing here) used to dismiss the Tea Party. You buy that?

In the Tea Party's case, it's true, though. I mean, their funding came from the Koch Brothers, various big name republicrats, etc.

"Cain and Geist don’t get the Occupy Wall Street movement because it is anything but about Washington. One thing that’s become clear to me, being on site at two Occupy communities (I’m visiting Philly and NYC today and tomorrow) is that people no longer have faith in elected officials. Get corporations out of government, get corporate money out of elections are very common signs and chants.

The members of the Occupy communities see the Occupy movement as an alternative, as an extra-legislative approach to making change happen. Members of congress, overall, are failing to respond to the interests and needs of their constituents, instead, taking care of the corporations who pay their campaign TV advertising budgets."

"This is a truly bottom up uprising, an awakening among the 99% of Americans who are being mistreated and exploited by big multinational corporations, with the help of a congress and White House that have sold the middle class out."
Those Who Say Occupy Wall Street Movement Should Go To Washington Don’t Get It « WAMMToday

But it's not doing anything. The BEST this can HOPE to do, is to inspire some POLITICAL CANDIDATES to "promise" to represent the people over big business IF he/she gets elected. If people feel they are no longer being represented by the folks we have empowered to do just that, THOSE are the ones to go after. But no one wants to do THAT, because THAT means taking responsibility for our poor choices. Owning up to the fact that WE inflicted these people onto ourselves. Doing that means admitting that, by far and large, most americans know next to nothing, really, about their chosen race horses they bet on from year to year. Most folks vote on TV ads, and wall street demonstrations is NOT going to make a difference there, I promise. Most folks couldn't tell you how their own senators voted on key issues if their LIVES depended on it, even though to properly educate yourself on what kind of votes they make is a task of, what, 20 minutes, tops? Before the internet, we all had an excuse. No more. But yet there they are, flying the flags of their anger into the wrong faces, giving voice to their grievances to the wrong ears, ears of people who wouldn't make any changes even IF they had the power to do so, because they have NO LEGAL OBLIGATION TO ANYONE IN THIS COUNTRY.

Picketing wall street has not, in any way, harmed wall street. Last I checked, the DOW is up. My 401K is gaining. If ANYTHING, they are using products made and sold to them BY those large corporations, namely, one of the most evil I can think of, Nestle Foods. Those sammies those folks are eating, those pizzas, they are all made with ingredients likely supplied by Nestle and their many subsidiaries, as is the bottled water they are probably guzzling by the gallon. Way to hit "the man" where it hurts, lol.

That would make sense... I mean a few thousand people in NYC can't be cheap to feed... or to clothe, or to provide soap and water, bathrooms. It's a wonder no one's asking who these benevolent donations are coming from isn't it? I know when I go to NYC, just for lunch I'll spend $25 bucks easy. Coffee is $7 and I'm not talking Starbucks here either.

You're not telling the truth. Coffee can be bought an nearly every street corner of NYC for $1 or less.

Yeah, and Buddy is probably the last one..

Apparently not:

"The 1,300 Austinites who gathered at City Hall on Thursday for the Occupy Austin protest couldn’t have been more diverse. They were young and old, fanatical and skeptical, liberal and conservative."
Occupy Austin Protest Includes Many Students, Alumni | The Alcalde

"The Occupy the Fed protests – led by Alex Jones, the Oathkeepers and other conservatives – are targeting the Federal Reserve."
Prison Planet.com » Protests: Both Conservatives and Liberals Are Right

But it's not doing anything. The BEST this can HOPE to do, is to inspire some POLITICAL CANDIDATES to "promise" to represent the people over big business IF he/she gets elected. If people feel they are no longer being represented by the folks we have empowered to do just that, THOSE are the ones to go after. But no one wants to do THAT, because THAT means taking responsibility for our poor choices. Owning up to the fact that WE inflicted these people onto ourselves. Doing that means admitting that, by far and large, most americans know next to nothing, really, about their chosen race horses they bet on from year to year. Most folks vote on TV ads, and wall street demonstrations is NOT going to make a difference there, I promise. Most folks couldn't tell you how their own senators voted on key issues if their LIVES depended on it, even though to properly educate yourself on what kind of votes they make is a task of, what, 20 minutes, tops? Before the internet, we all had an excuse. No more. But yet there they are, flying the flags of their anger into the wrong faces, giving voice to their grievances to the wrong ears, ears of people who wouldn't make any changes even IF they had the power to do so, because they have NO LEGAL OBLIGATION TO ANYONE IN THIS COUNTRY.

Picketing wall street has not, in any way, harmed wall street. Last I checked, the DOW is up. My 401K is gaining. If ANYTHING, they are using products made and sold to them BY those large corporations, namely, one of the most evil I can think of, Nestle Foods. Those sammies those folks are eating, those pizzas, they are all made with ingredients likely supplied by Nestle and their many subsidiaries, as is the bottled water they are probably guzzling by the gallon. Way to hit "the man" where it hurts, lol.

The protest goals never were to "harm" Wall Street, it was about waking people up to the greed on Wall Street that is having a detrimental effect on the middle class. And to say it is doing nothing is underestimating the effect of bringing into the political discussion issues vital to main street that were not being pursued by either party.

The protest goals never were to "harm" Wall Street, it was about waking people up to the greed on Wall Street that is having a detrimental effect on the middle class. And to say it is doing nothing is underestimating the effect of bringing into the political discussion issues vital to main street that were not being pursued by either party.

Just wonder why people point to the greed of wall street as if we do not see this type of greed throughout society. Does Apple have to charge what they do for a computer or a phone that ordinary people buy. Does a rock band have to charge the prices they do for a concert, how about Nike, they charge so much for their desired sneakers ( made in China) that people get robbed for them.

Just an example of bipartisan support for not providing bailout's to Wall street while letting main street continue to sink.

One republican isn't bi-partisan support.

Maybe I'm just a bit more radical, but to me, if you wanted to make a change to the wall streeters, you absolutely have to manage to hurt the way they do business. I'm not against the idea, that things need to change, that the balance of power needs to return to the hands of ALL US citizens, not just consolidated in the few. But at no point is anyone decrying the lobbyists, senators, judges, presidents, etc, that have all acted together over the years, in bits and pieces, to create the framework we have now that enables wall street (super rich) such a strong hold on the reins of this country. I mean, ****, man, this has been going on for close to 100 years now. Every decade or so, we give up something more, one inch at a time, until those hands are around our necks, and it's been not just by our leave that this has been done, we've actually SUPPORTED the people doing it, with our voices, our votes, and our dollars. But no, all I really hear is evil wall street making all their money, giving nothing back to the people who they made it off of, hurting the middle class, etc etc etc. That's all.

Last edited:
Just wonder why people point to the greed of wall street as if we do not see this type of greed throughout society. Does Apple have to charge what they do for a computer or a phone that ordinary people buy. Does a rock band have to charge the prices they do for a concert, how about Nike, they charge so much for their desired sneakers ( made in China) that people get robbed for them.

I am guessing it is because greed is less noticeable in those living on a shoestring and more noticeable in those who's incomes have profited by the demise of the middle class.

Maybe I'm just a bit more radical, but to me, if you wanted to make a change to the wall streeters, you absolutely have to manage to hurt the way they do business. I'm not against the idea, that things need to change, that the balance of power needs to return to the hands of ALL US citizens, not just consolidated in the few. But at no point is anyone decrying the lobbyists, senators, judges, presidents, etc, that have all acted together over the years, in bits and pieces, to create the framework we have now that enables wall street (super rich) such a strong hold on the reins of this country. I mean, ****, man, this has been going on for close to 100 years now. Every decade or so, we give up something more, one inch at a time, until those hands are around our necks, and it's been not just by our leave that this has been done, we've actually SUPPORTED the people doing it, with our voices, our votes, and our dollars. But no, all I really hear is evil wall street making all their money, giving nothing back to the people who they made it off of, hurting the middle class, etc etc etc. That's all.

And why did these politicians do these things?

At whose behest?

Time to go after their actual bosses.

Its kind of telling that the Dem politicians by and large are refusing to touch this.

That means its working.

Maybe I'm just a bit more radical, but to me, if you wanted to make a change to the wall streeters, you absolutely have to manage to hurt the way they do business.

How would you hurt the way they do business?

I'm not against the idea, that things need to change, that the balance of power needs to return to the hands of ALL US citizens, not just consolidated in the few. But at no point is anyone decrying the lobbyists, senators, judges, presidents, etc, that have all acted together over the years, in bits and pieces, to create the framework we have now that enables wall street (super rich) such a strong hold on the reins of this country. I mean, ****, man, this has been going on for close to 100 years now. Every decade or so, we give up something more, one inch at a time, until those hands are around our necks, and it's been not just by our leave that this has been done, we've actually SUPPORTED the people doing it, with our voices, our votes, and our dollars. But no, all I really hear is evil wall street making all their money, giving nothing back to the people who they made it off of, hurting the middle class, etc etc etc. That's all.

Social evolution is not a quick process. I am encouraged that people are standing up for it.

I am guessing it is because greed is less noticeable in those living on a shoestring and more noticeable in those who's incomes have profited by the demise of the middle class.

So you are saying that the CEOs of major corporations are living on a shoestring, or the players of the Miami Heat or trial lawyers who take a third of what an award is even if the award is no more than the person would have gotten from their insurance policy. Or the pawn shop that makes a 100% mark up for things they can flip in a day, or pay day check cashing companies, or small contractors that hire illegals versus U.S. workers because the illegals would work cheaper.

I just worry when the populace looks for scapegoats of any kind. Maybe knowing that only because my grandparents got out of Europe in time so they and my parents were not turned into lampshades makes me worry about group being turned into scapegoats.

My apologies ... 1 Republican and 1 who calls himself Alex Jones.

Still not bi-partisan.

So you've chosen to ignore the conservatives that marched in Austin and other cities? Whatever floats your boat, and I never said it was bi-partisan, only that there are conservatives that support many of the goals.

So you are saying that the CEOs of major corporations are living on a shoestring, or the players of the Miami Heat or trial lawyers who take a third of what an award is even if the award is no more than the person would have gotten from their insurance policy. Or the pawn shop that makes a 100% mark up for things they can flip in a day, or pay day check cashing companies, or small contractors that hire illegals versus U.S. workers because the illegals would work cheaper.

I just worry when the populace looks for scapegoats of any kind. Maybe knowing that only because my grandparents got out of Europe in time so they and my parents were not turned into lampshades makes me worry about group being turned into scapegoats.

Earth to washunut: I said none of that.

And why did these politicians do these things?

At whose behest?

Time to go after their actual bosses.

Its kind of telling that the Dem politicians by and large are refusing to touch this.

That means its working.

WE are their bosses. It is up to US, not business men, though they are free to join us come election time. If you want to change wall street, without going the political rout, you're going to have to a slightly more radical rout. Wall Street has no legal obligation to any of us, and are therefore totally unconcerned what some group of people outside their office windows consuming products their subsidiary companies produce are doing. You either need to find proof of illegal activity and bring legal action against them, or you need to do something that would actually harm how they do business, disrupt their cash flow, alter their lives in some way as individuals.

Back
Top Bottom