• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More Than 550,000 Primary Absentee Ballots Rejected In 2020, Far Outpacing 2016

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
High Number Of Mail-In And Absentee Primary Ballots Rejected : NPR

Election experts said first-time absentee voters are much more likely to make the kinds of mistakes that lead to rejected ballots. Studies also show that voters of color and young voters are more likely than others to have their ballots not count.

Most absentee or mail-in ballots are rejected because required signatures are missing or don't match the one on record, or because the ballot arrives too late.

"If something goes wrong with any of this, that's a problem writ large, but it's also going to be one that hits some populations of the United States a bit harder than others, potentially disenfranchises different groups of folks at higher rates," said Rob Griffin of the Democracy Fund, which is conducting a sweeping survey of the 2020 electorate with researchers at UCLA.

Well a large number of ballots were rejected in 2020 primaries, still fractions of a percent of the overall, but still high. Apparently signing a ballot is difficult.

One some level, the higher numbers are expected given the higher number of people voting by mail this year. So we'd likely see an absolute number increase. And with luck, people have figured out a bit more during the primaries, so when they're voting in the general election they are a bit more comfortable with the process. The biggest rejection States are places like NY and California. Surprisingly, Washington was high on that list. They've run a mail-in system for awhile, I'm surprised that they'd made it. Colorado, Oregon, Utah, and Hawaii weren't even on the list. I'd figure Washington would have known how to vote by mail.

Perhaps we're gonna need to run some educational ads on properly mailing in a ballot. The problem is that the rejection is disproportional, hitting minorities at higher rates than whites. But fundamentally, voting by mail isn't hard. Yes, many of the states are dumb and not as intelligent and advanced as Colorado (lol), which figured out the Gold Standard of mail-in voting, but it's still not a difficult premise. Right? Fill out your ballot, sign it, send it back in.

There's a lot at stake this election cycle and already a lot of disinformation and propaganda thrown at our voting systems. People should vote, people need to vote, and they need to educate themselves not only on the candidates but on proper mail-in procedures if they plan on mail-in voting. But I do suppose that if mail-in voting seems confusing or one isn't confident in the process, then it may be best to vote in person. Though in that case we need to be opening up more polling centers, not decreasing them, as the GOP has done, particularly in districts populated with higher numbers of minorities.

We need to be able to have faith in our election system. And I hope that after 2020, more States will turn to Colorado to figure out how to properly set up mail-in voting systems.

I would guess that my legitimate ballot is at least as likely to be rejected as it is to be counted. I'm still not voting in person during a pandemic.

I would guess that my legitimate ballot is at least as likely to be rejected as it is to be counted. I'm still not voting in person during a pandemic.

I vote absentee but I'm making the choice this year to drop my ballot off in person, just because.

Well a large number of ballots were rejected in 2020 primaries, still fractions of a percent of the overall, but still high. Apparently signing a ballot is difficult.

One some level, the higher numbers are expected given the higher number of people voting by mail this year. So we'd likely see an absolute number increase. And with luck, people have figured out a bit more during the primaries, so when they're voting in the general election they are a bit more comfortable with the process. The biggest rejection States are places like NY and California. Surprisingly, Washington was high on that list. They've run a mail-in system for awhile, I'm surprised that they'd made it. Colorado, Oregon, Utah, and Hawaii weren't even on the list. I'd figure Washington would have known how to vote by mail.

Perhaps we're gonna need to run some educational ads on properly mailing in a ballot. The problem is that the rejection is disproportional, hitting minorities at higher rates than whites. But fundamentally, voting by mail isn't hard. Yes, many of the states are dumb and not as intelligent and advanced as Colorado (lol), which figured out the Gold Standard of mail-in voting, but it's still not a difficult premise. Right? Fill out your ballot, sign it, send it back in.

There's a lot at stake this election cycle and already a lot of disinformation and propaganda thrown at our voting systems. People should vote, people need to vote, and they need to educate themselves not only on the candidates but on proper mail-in procedures if they plan on mail-in voting. But I do suppose that if mail-in voting seems confusing or one isn't confident in the process, then it may be best to vote in person. Though in that case we need to be opening up more polling centers, not decreasing them, as the GOP has done, particularly in districts populated with higher numbers of minorities.

We need to be able to have faith in our election system. And I hope that after 2020, more States will turn to Colorado to figure out how to properly set up mail-in voting systems.

How hard can it be?

Open, mark, put back in envelope, lick, sign, mail.

Not sure why.

Voting- at least by me- takes about 5 minutes and should be socially distanced and 100% of people with masks.

It’s probably less risk than spending 1/2 hour in a grocery store, and certainly less risky than going to a restaurant indoors.

Meh....if I decide to vote, it will be in person.

Trump appointee Postmaster DeJoy said that mail in ballots are safe and he's used mail in ballots to vote for years.

I vote absentee but I'm making the choice this year to drop my ballot off in person, just because.
That's actually not a bad idea, come to think of it. It probably only presents a fraction of the risk of voting in place, if done right.

That has been mentioned before and if they're going to do it, they better start soon..especially in swing states.

From my own personal experience, if there's more than one person in the household voting by mail, it's easy to get the ballots mixed up and put in the wrong envelopes and even signing the wrong ballot. So be sure to read and double check your ballot before mailing.

It doesn't matter if ballots are delivered on time, only that they are postmarked by the deadline.

How did election divisions find 50,000 handwriting experts qualified to throw away ballots claiming the signatures don't match? How d such handwriting experts cost?

What the OPer proves is that using mail-in ballots will eliminated millions of voter's right to vote - such as each ballot each partisan election employee decides to throw away (after seeing how the person voted).

Not sure why.

Voting- at least by me- takes about 5 minutes and should be socially distanced and 100% of people with masks.

It’s probably less risk than spending 1/2 hour in a grocery store, and certainly less risky than going to a restaurant indoors.

I live in an area where many are ignoring the mandate, the militant maskless aren't being kicked out of stores, and voting lines are 45 minutes long. In other words, a Republican stronghold.

No ****ing way am I doing that.

How hard can it be?

Open, mark, put back in envelope, lick, sign, mail.

if a voter can't pass that simple "cognitive test", perhaps its all for the best.

We have secure drop boxes that are managed by election officials. So dropping a ballot in a drop box is just as good as delivering it in person. And the closest one to me is at the DMV between my house and work.

I don't know, like this shouldn't be this tough. Mail-In voting is the superior method and it's not difficult. It can really only come down to not reading directions, because everything is printed on the envelope. Other than that, it's a non-matching signature since one's sig can change over time. But you just update that at the DMV or government facility of the sorts.

And even if that's the case, in CO you have up to 8 days after the election to fix problems like that, and you're notified as to whether your vote has been counted or if there was a problem.

We have secure drop boxes that are managed by election officials. So dropping a ballot in a drop box is just as good as delivering it in person. And the closest one to me is at the DMV between my house and work.

I don't know, like this shouldn't be this tough. Mail-In voting is the superior method and it's not difficult. It can really only come down to not reading directions, because everything is printed on the envelope. Other than that, it's a non-matching signature since one's sig can change over time. But you just update that at the DMV or government facility of the sorts.

And even if that's the case, in CO you have up to 8 days after the election to fix problems like that, and you're notified as to whether your vote has been counted or if there was a problem.

Forgetting to sign the mail-in ballot reminds me of all the kids in grade school who handed in their papers without putting their names on their papers. If an adult is too careless to read the directions, they are probably just as careless about other things in their personal life.

Last edited:
I live in an area where many are ignoring the mandate, the militant maskless aren't being kicked out of stores, and voting lines are 45 minutes long. In other words, a Republican stronghold.

In CA. that is not the case. No mask, and out you go and I live in a strong Republican area of San Diego County.

Our polling place AND drop off place is at the high school at the other end of our street.
They moved it there from its old location, which was the Painters and Wallpaper Hanger Union which was a block further up on the corner because it suddenly became too small thanks to record participation in 2016.

In CA. that is not the case. No mask, and out you go and I live in a strong Republican area of San Diego County.

I live in a very different state.

Primaries are over. Trump won.

Understandable then.

Voting here is very simple- I literally live next door to the polling place, there is rarely more than a couple people in line, and masking indoors is close to 100%.

I could do mail, or vote early, or drop off a ballot, but I probably won’t bother.

Conservatives make very stringent rules about signatures. If you get married or divorced and change your name, forget about it.

Seems like if you want your vote counted, you should listen to Trump.

Seems like if you want your vote counted, you should listen to Trump.

Trump can suck the whitest part of my ass. I live in Colorado, unlike the majority of the inbred States, we actually figured out how to make Mail-In voting work.

Primaries are over. Trump won.

....well....I mean, Biden won. The RNC didn't really run primaries and will just confirm Trump as their nominee during their convention.

Were you confused somehow on what one meant by "primaries"?

DeJoy isn't ruining my vote. I'll vote in person at my polling place. I can walk there.

Back
Top Bottom