• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More than 45 million trapped in modern slavery: study

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
More than 45 million trapped in modern slavery: study

May 30, 2016

More than 45 million men, women and children globally are trapped in modern slavery, far more than previously thought, with two-thirds in the Asia-Pacific, a study showed Tuesday. The details were revealed in the 2016 Global Slavery Index, a research report by the Walk Free Foundation, an initiative set up by Australian billionaire mining magnate and philanthropist Andrew Forrest in 2012 to draw attention to the issue. It compiled information from 167 countries with 42,000 interviews in 53 languages to determine the prevalence of the issue and government responses. It suggested that there were 28 percent more slaves than estimated two years ago, a revision reached through better data collection and research methods. Modern slavery refers to situations of exploitation that a person cannot leave because of threats, violence, coercion, abuse of power or deception.

The report said India had the highest number of people trapped in slavery at 18.35 million, while North Korea had the highest incidence (4.37 percent of the population) and the weakest government response. In terms of absolute numbers, Asian countries occupy the top five for people trapped in slavery. Behind India was China (3.39 million), Pakistan (2.13 million), Bangladesh (1.53 million) and Uzbekistan (1.23 million).

The annual report can be accessed here - Findings: Global Slavery Index 2016

Simpleχity;1065913848 said:

While

1. That slavery continues to exist in large numbers is a stain on the human race, and one I would gleefully put US Foreign Policy to ending (much as the British Navy earned eternal glory for combatting the African Slave Trade)

2. I don't take estimates from activist groups at face value without outside, neutral validation. I don't do it for groups I am inclined to disagree with, and so intellectual honesty requires that I not do it for groups I am inclined to support.

While

1. That slavery continues to exist in large numbers is a stain on the human race, and one I would gleefully put US Foreign Policy to ending (much as the British Navy earned eternal glory for combatting the African Slave Trade)

2. I don't take estimates from activist groups at face value without outside, neutral validation. I don't do it for groups I am inclined to disagree with, and so intellectual honesty requires that I not do it for groups I am inclined to support.
Right. The number seems high. My first inclination is that they're playing fast-and-loose with the definition of "slavery".

Their figure does seem high to me also. Reliable statistics related to human trafficking are difficult to find. Human trafficking is a clandestine crime and few victims and survivors come forward for fear of retaliation, shame, or lack of understanding of what is happening to them. Increasingly also, militia organizations such as ISIS and Boko Haram consider female captives to be sexual slaves.

US Department of State: Trafficking in Persons Report 2015

The next DoS Trafficking Report will be available in July 2016.

Right. The number seems high. My first inclination is that they're playing fast-and-loose with the definition of "slavery".

Exactly. Having to go to a job one hates or pay a debt one owes is "slavery" to the modern-day liberal, who wants their money for nothing and their chicks for free.

However, there is a problem. What is the problem with that side of the globe?

Exactly. Having to go to a job one hates or pay a debt one owes is "slavery" to the modern-day liberal, who wants their money for nothing and their chicks for free.

However, there is a problem. What is the problem with that side of the globe?

The definition they are using is open to interpretation: Modern slavery refers to situations of exploitation that a person cannot leave because of threats, violence, coercion, abuse of power or deception. I can see where "We will repo your car if you don't start making payments" can be considered a threat.

Those may be high numbers, but they don't negate the fact that too many people around the world are being enslaved. While we are not be directly responsible, we may be in some way.

Those may be high numbers, but they don't negate the fact that too many people around the world are being enslaved. While we are not be directly responsible, we may be in some way.
You should definitely stop whatever it is that you are doing.

You should definitely stop whatever it is that you are doing.

I love some sarcasm. This is what I am looking at
Those countries with the highest absolute numbers of people in modern slavery are India, China, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Uzbekistan. Several of these countries provide the low-cost labour that produces consumer goods for markets in Western Europe, Japan, North America and Australia.

Does that not mean that we are, in part, responsible?

Don't disagree... at... all. Problem is, when people inflate numbers they actually do long-term harm to the cause. After the initial shock has worn off, and people realize the problem is "not as bad" as stated, it becomes something of a "boy who cried wolf" aspect and people become desensitized to it. It becomes easier to dismiss. Basically, the people who inflate the numbers are lying, and other people don't like being lied to.

People would say you are responsible for oppressing minimum wage employees for buying food at a fast food restaurant. Are you?

If you are knowingly purchasing products from a retailer that uses slave labor then you are definitely responsible. I suppose we could just boycott all products from all nations that might have anything to do with human trafficking and slavery. But where does that end? There are an estimated 18k individuals illegally transported into the US every year to be used in illegal labor markets and the sex trade. Our neighbors to the north provide a gateway for approx 2k of those individuals. They themselves have an estimated 1k annually. Its unlikely any country is immune.

Don't disagree... at... all. Problem is, when people inflate numbers they actually do long-term harm to the cause. After the initial shock has worn off, and people realize the problem is "not as bad" as stated, it becomes something of a "boy who cried wolf" aspect and people become desensitized to it. It becomes easier to dismiss. Basically, the people who inflate the numbers are lying, and other people don't like being lied to.

Don't forget the "don't give a rat's ass as long as I have mine" mentality.
We are at fault to some extent, but just as we have here a long time ago, people in these nations have to stand up for themselves. We can't do it for them.
jmho.

The definition they are using is open to interpretation: Modern slavery refers to situations of exploitation that a person cannot leave because of threats, violence, coercion, abuse of power or deception. I can see where "We will repo your car if you don't start making payments" can be considered a threat.

Your comparison is a bit of a stretch. The threats being levied here aren't of the 'we will take away your car' sort. They're more of the 'If you don't work these 4 extra hours unpaid, you will only get 6 hours of your 12 hour shift paid' - source: I've met former Bangladeshi slaves.

Your comparison is a bit of a stretch. The threats being levied here aren't of the 'we will take away your car' sort. They're more of the 'If you don't work these 4 extra hours unpaid, you will only get 6 hours of your 12 hour shift paid' - source: I've met former Bangladeshi slaves.

Right, so its their definition of threat or coercion, and where the line in the sand is.

If there was literally a sticker on the pair of shoes that I spend $10 less on explaining that these shoes were made through slave labor, then yes, I actively contributed. However: Ignorance absolves responsibility.

It may be that my laziness in not researching the trade routes of the products I buy result in my ignorance. Ergo my ignorance is a result of my own inaction and can no longer absolve my responsibility.

But that expectation is unrealistic. We must draw the line at some point and not blame the consumer.

If there was literally a sticker on the pair of shoes that I spend $10 less on explaining that these shoes were made through slave labor, then yes, I actively contributed. However: Ignorance absolves responsibility.

It may be that my laziness in not researching the trade routes of the products I buy result in my ignorance. Ergo my ignorance is a result of my own inaction and can no longer absolve my responsibility.

But that expectation is unrealistic. We must draw the line at some point and not blame the consumer.

Then who's to blame? Corporate greed? The nations themselves for allowing these practices?
I read somewhere that bureaucracy is at a minimum in India. I think the compared opening a business here in the US to opening one there.
May be we have too many regulations, some have too little.

Then who's to blame? Corporate greed? The nations themselves for allowing these practices?
I read somewhere that bureaucracy is at a minimum in India. I think the compared opening a business here in the US to opening one there.
General comment: Is their "slavery" better than what they had before companies like Nike came to exploit them?

Maybe it's all relative.

The numbers are high(er) because of better or more accurate reporting.
It takes a good dose of ignorance and partisan hackery, or in other words stupidity, to turn the plight of millions of people into a pathetic attempt to score a cheap point by blaming liberalism or inability to make car payments. After all most North Koreans recklessly bought luxury cars they could not afford, and the workers in India and other third world countries just want to have the same rewards as their employers.
By the way what is a high percentage of well over 1 billion people?

Right, so its their definition of threat or coercion, and where the line in the sand is.

All I am saying is that the definition of threats aren't based on a subjective version of the word 'threat'. They're based on known tactics employed in third world countries. If you'd like to know the kinds of threats levied against 3rd world workers, I can suggest a number of websites explaining them.

Voters? For not making this an issue in which politicians address? The blame game can go on and on. The question is: 1) should we do something about it and then 2) what should we do about it?

Of all those nations that have high rates of 'slaves', I wonder how many of those nations are using the capitalist economic model?

Simpleχity;1065913848 said:

Gee what a nice BRIEF article. So brief to be unbelievable.

First, they do not define "modern" slavery, and insist that it is occurring everywhere, including Canada and the US. That's what tells me this is more extreme left wing propaganda where they have worked in what they call "wage slaves".

And just like the AGW movement use extreme words to define on going social situations which they have claimed are 'slavery' as they know such a supercharged word like that will rile Americans.

It is also a good reason to never believe the left.

What about the 122 Million US tax payers burdened with paying the bills for the rest of the country? That sounds like slavery!

Back
Top Bottom