• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More Than 100 to Be Arrested in Federal Disability Fraud Bust

specklebang

Discount Philosopher
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
More Than 100 to Be Arrested in Federal Disability Fraud Bust - WSJ.com
Federal and local investigators plan to arrest 106 people Tuesday as part of one of the largest Social Security disability fraud busts in U.S. history, a person familiar with the arrests said, alleging that a number of former New York fire department and police officials improperly obtained benefits by cheating the application process.

102 people who should certainly have known better. This is a symbolic bust to avoid a real crackdown. The scope of disability fraud is millions of people cashing in on faked disability.

Can you imagine what would happen if they really investigated and really punished the phonies? They'd save enough to easily cover the truly disabled and more. But instead, every few years, they "catch" a few and go "see, there is no fraud. We are such great policemen!".

Shameful. Very expensive way to buy votes, is it not?

Can you imagine what would happen if they really investigated and really punished the phonies? They'd save enough to easily cover the truly disabled and more.
I doubt it. Between the investigation and prosecution, it probably costs more than to let them have the benefits.

For what it's worth, I'd be completely okay with spending that money to investigate and prosecute.

I doubt it. Between the investigation and prosecution, it probably costs more than to let them have the benefits.

For what it's worth, I'd be completely okay with spending that money to investigate and prosecute.

The amount of fraud is probably more than you are thinking it is.
UNCLE SAM is being bilked, big-time. Losses from health-care scams alone are between $70 billion and $240 billion a year, reckons the FBI. An ever higher percentage of frauds (false claims for welfare payments, tax refunds and so on) are being perpetrated with stolen identities. Some 12.6m people—one every three seconds—fell victim to identity theft in the United States in 2012, according to Javelin Strategy and Research. The problem only grows as benefit programmes strive for efficiency and convenience, shifting applications online and making payments to prepaid debit cards, which can be bought in shops, require no bank account and allow money to be laundered quickly and easily. The self-proclaimed first lady of tax-refund fraud is Rashia Wilson (posing with the loot on her Facebook page, above) who, along with her eager associates, claimed bogus rebates of more than $11m.
Stealing from the government: SIRF
Just think how many poor hungry children could be fed if this fraud wasn't.

Just think of these fraudsters, who are probably neighbors of these families with hungry children, pretty much taking the food right out of their mouths, yet no one turns them in.

The amount of fraud is probably more than you are thinking it is.
I doubt it. The costs of investigation and prosecution are probably more than you think it is.

The article stated that the fraud for just these 102 identified was about $24 million, or over $235K each. Taking out the enablers (including any and all that helped to process these SS disability claims) and seizing all assets owned by of those convicted should make the process worthwhile. What never seems to happen is getting rid of the federal employees that should have discovered this fraud much earlier.

The article stated that the fraud for just these 102 identified was about $24 million, or over $235K each. Taking out the enablers (including any and all that helped to process these SS disability claims) and seizing all assets owned by of those convicted should make the process worthwhile. What never seems to happen is getting rid of the federal employees that should have discovered this fraud much earlier.

Between paying for manpower and benefits for those investigating, manpower and benefits for the lawyers and judges trying the case, the amount of money prosecuting the case as well as defending the case (since you seized their assets, they'll probably need a public defender), and however much you may spend on appeals, I'm not sure $235k each would cover it.

And that's just against individuals. You and I both know it's not just individuals who scam the government, companies do it too and that opens a whole other can of worms.

As I said, I'm perfectly okay spending the money to get rid of those who are cheating the system, I just don't know if I agree we'd save money by doing it.

Oh how very moderate of you. I love this. First sentence give them the money - second sentence investigate and prosecute. Spoken like a true centrist - I don't mean aggravation its just funny to me.

And I agree with you that we should spend what it takes to investigate and prosecute. If we simply made the punishment worthy of prosecution and enabled whistle blowers worthy rewards we could manage to get a lot of fraud eliminated. 102 people were arrested above, if they were stealing $10k a year each its a million dollars - I have no trouble with a whistle blower being paid $125k for helping to stop such a crime.

More Than 100 to Be Arrested in Federal Disability Fraud Bust - WSJ.com

102 people who should certainly have known better. This is a symbolic bust to avoid a real crackdown. The scope of disability fraud is millions of people cashing in on faked disability.

Can you imagine what would happen if they really investigated and really punished the phonies? They'd save enough to easily cover the truly disabled and more. But instead, every few years, they "catch" a few and go "see, there is no fraud. We are such great policemen!".

Shameful. Very expensive way to buy votes, is it not?

What does that mean "plan to arrest"?

Are they announcing it publically that they are investigating fraud and are going to arrest people?

Who does that?

Oh how very moderate of you. I love this. First sentence give them the money - second sentence investigate and prosecute. Spoken like a true centrist - I don't mean aggravation its just funny to me.

And I agree with you that we should spend what it takes to investigate and prosecute. If we simply made the punishment worthy of prosecution and enabled whistle blowers worthy rewards we could manage to get a lot of fraud eliminated. 102 people were arrested above, if they were stealing $10k a year each its a million dollars - I have no trouble with a whistle blower being paid $125k for helping to stop such a crime.

It says they plan to arrest, not that they were arrested.

Who announces arrests before they are done?

I doubt it. The costs of investigation and prosecution are probably more than you think it is.

They would be at the outset but once the rolls get cleared of abusers and it's made known that prosecution will result in serious penalties the amount of fraud will decrease.

It's like the choice between paying $500 to fix a ruined carpet or $5000 to fix the hole in the roof that cause the carpet to get ruined.

I don't know why, because I didn't say what you seem to think I said. I was taking issue with the statement that investigating and punishing more would save money, not that we should give it to them and then investigate. I hope that makes sense.

And I agree with you that we should spend what it takes to investigate and prosecute.
Glad we're in agreement on that.

They would be at the outset but once the rolls get cleared of abusers and it's made known that prosecution will result in serious penalties the amount of fraud will decrease.
I doubt it. The only way the fraud would decrease is if it was financially more viable to not attempt the fraud in the first place. And that requires a large shift in our society.

What does that mean "plan to arrest"?

Are they announcing it publicly that they are investigating fraud and are going to arrest people?

Who does that?

It's a sham investigation and a few guys will take a fall for the millions who got away.

These are specifically Cops and Firefighters, people we should trust in one city, in one state. Extend this out and I'll bet you 25% or better of disability is just free money for the crooks who get it and those who facilitate it.

I don't care if you are Left of Karl Marx. This should not be OK with you. This is so wrong it's ridiculous and it's not even the tip of tip of the iceberg.

How much investigating does it take to drop by the residence of people collecting fat checks and seeing how "disabled" they are? Nobody doesn't want to help the truly disabled. Disabled means disabled. Not fully functional like so many of these lying bastards are, all over America.

Those Federal employees are the enablers. Why anyone defends them is beyond me.

It's a sham investigation and a few guys will take a fall for the millions who got away.

Should we prepare camps? We're gonna need rail cars.

These are specifically Cops and Firefighters, people we should trust in one city, in one state. Extend this out and I'll bet you 25% or better of disability is just free money for the crooks who get it and those who facilitate it.

I don't care if you are Left of Karl Marx. This should not be OK with you. This is so wrong it's ridiculous and it's not even the tip of tip of the iceberg.

How much investigating does it take to drop by the residence of people collecting fat checks and seeing how "disabled" they are? Nobody doesn't want to help the truly disabled. Disabled means disabled. Not fully functional like so many of these lying bastards are, all over America.

That is exactly right but it has become OK to steal money anywhere you can get it.

it used to be embarrassing to be a thief but now it is a way of life.

Unfortunately too many people don't think it is worth it to do the right thing, on either side.

Should we prepare camps?

Camps for who? We have plenty of prisons. These people need to lose everything and be prevented from reacquiring it through another "Poverty" program.

It says they plan to arrest, not that they were arrested.

Who announces arrests before they are done?

Government workers who want to show how sincere and honest they are:roll:

We don't have prison space for a few extra millions. What do you suggest?

Confiscate their ill gotten gains and use the proceeds for the genuinely disabled. Even just a month or two in prison will help discourage future misbehavior. I also suggest amnesty for those who confess and make repayment arrangements. But just continuing as is - NO. This is WRONG.

Ahhh... The realities of big government... The pride of the left.

Confiscate their ill gotten gains and use the proceeds for the genuinely disabled. Even just a month or two in prison will help discourage future misbehavior. I also suggest amnesty for those who confess and make repayment arrangements. But just continuing as is - NO. This is WRONG.

When they leave prison, millions homeless and only skilled for ditch digging, what shall we do about them?

When they leave prison, millions homeless and only skilled for ditch digging, what shall we do about them?

Put them on disability of course. Why would we do anything else.?

Or just say "screw it" and make no effort to enforce any laws. After all, everyone who leaves prison is broke.

What do you suggest?

What do you suggest?

Busting the big timers and getting the system under control. Or we can ready the camps, gather the box cars and work on a solution to additional millions in our prison and homeless systems.

Busting the big timers and getting the system under control. Or we can ready the camps, gather the box cars and work on a solution to additional millions in our prison and homeless systems.

Maybe something in between? Like a retired cop drawing a pension AND on fake disability? I'm an advocate of caning and stocks instead of prison. I also think prison for a short time has the same effect as long time.

My motive is this - I believe in Welfare and helping those who try but fail. I believe we are responsible for one another. But those who steal, are stealing from me and everyone else. It is wrong and should not be dismissed. This is to protect the innocent as much as punish the guilty.

And no - I'm no "Libbo". I am logical and community oriented. I just don't feel that this kind of theft from Welfare should be rewarded.

Democracy and its institutions are very expensive but well worth protecting both their integrity and structure. It costs millions to prosecute a murderer and bring him/her to final justice - I sure hope cost never becomes a deterent to maintaining order and dishing out justice.

Back
Top Bottom