• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More Texans are now Dead Than Californians

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Interesting, with 10 million fewer people, the silly lone star state now has over 200 more COVID deaths than the land of fruits and nuts.

Red states are literally dying for Trump.

Interesting, with 10 million fewer people, the silly lone star state now has over 200 more COVID deaths than the land of fruits and nuts.

Interesting ... New York has 10 million fewer people than Texas but more than double the number of COVID deaths.

Blue states governors are literally killing their citizens.

Interesting ... New York has 10 million fewer people than Texas but more than double the number of COVID deaths.

And red state governors/GOP majority legislatures are surging in reported infection rates and deaths and yet are re-opening their states.

That is a completely idiotic post. New York was flooded with thousands of Americans returning from Europe all at once, because Trump announced that if our citizens didn't come home in 24 hours, the U.S. would close its borders to them. Did you not see the horrific video of hundreds upon hundreds of people wedged together like caged rats at La Guardia and JFK?? Within two weeks, all of NYC was besieged by the European strain of Covid-19. Only Cuomo's decisive actions in locking down the city/state prevented even more deaths.

Using a global pandemic as a partisan club is truly a low-class thing to do. Show some damned humanity!

New York is not literally killing their citizens, yesterday they had 4 deaths, Texas had 100.

New York got hammered when there was no testing available due to the failed Federal non effort. Without adequate testing you can not control the virus.

New York worked hard to get the virus under control. Texas and other red states had the benefit of adequate testing being available when they got hit and all the lessons learned from the states that were hit early on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. Not at all.

(Some) blue states got hit fast, early, hard, and heavy, while this thing was still very novel and the federal government failed to make us aware. But since that early onslaught, most blue states have been exemplary in their response, with California being the notable exception. And also since that early onslaught, the Red states have often been 'killing their citizens'. GA, TX, FL, AZ, etc. I know you know this.

Please tell us you are just bored and not gloating.

How awful. Wear your damn masks, people!
How true. However, red vs blue has become a past time sport. It isn't about lives lost, it is about voter count. Despicable.

How true. However, red vs blue has become a past time sport. It isn't about lives lost, it is about voter count. Despicable.
Maybe on your side.

Makes no sense. I thought NOT masking worked?

If you look at the current stats, that is clearly not the case. The focus I keep seeing is on the early wave of deaths; there have been no surges even close to what happened early on. Much of the northeast has trended downward and stayed low through much of the summer. It's now that spikes are being recorded as the phases of reopening continue. The question is how much of the spikes will be kept at manageable levels.

NY/TX comparison: cases & hospitalizations

NY deaths (yesterday): 4
TX deaths (yesterday): 100

That is a completely idiotic post. New York was flooded with thousands of Americans returning from Europe all at once, because Trump announced that if our citizens didn't come home in 24 hours, the U.S. would close its borders to them. Did you not see the horrific video of hundreds upon hundreds of people wedged together like caged rats at La Guardia and JFK?? Within two weeks, all of NYC was besieged by the European strain of Covid-19. Only Cuomo's decisive actions in locking down the city/state prevented even more deaths.

Using a global pandemic as a partisan club is truly a low-class thing to do. Show some damned humanity!
And most of the people that keep bringing this up don't realize that nobody in the US had any idea of how bad it was going to be , or even how to treat it.
we did have a lot of misinformation , conflicting info from DC .
as you said all these people came back all at once and with as little info we had on this it was hard for the Governors of the NE states and the health care workers to know what to do.
Nobody had any idea that it would go from 1 reported case in NYC on March 1,to almost 76,000 by the end of the month.
and now that they have figured out how to treat it and know what to do and what not to do the Governors in states like Fla and TX should be looking at these examples and should be doing what works

Have a nice night

If you look at the current stats, that is clearly not the case. The focus I keep seeing is on the early wave of deaths; there have been no surges even close to what happened early on. Much of the northeast has trended downward and stayed low through much of the summer. It's now that spikes are being recorded as the phases of reopening continue. The question is how much of the spikes will be kept at manageable levels.

NY/TX comparison: cases & hospitalizations

NY deaths (yesterday): 4
TX deaths (yesterday): 100
with the complete opening of Fla. with no restrictions we can watch and see what happens.
I hope it doesn't get worse , but I think the cases will be going up and so will the number of deaths.
This should show us if doing what has been done in states like NY is what we should be doing or if just opening up with no restrictions is the way to go.
well we should see how things go in a week or so
Have a nice night

with the complete opening of Fla. with no restrictions we can watch and see what happens.
I hope it doesn't get worse , but I think the cases will be going up and so will the number of deaths.

This should show us if doing what has been done in states like NY is what we should be doing or if just opening up with no restrictions is the way to go.
well we should see how things go in a week or so
Have a nice night

I don't doubt the number of cases will go up, but how that impacts hospitalizations and mortalities will be the metrics to watch. If there are relatively low numbers on the both of those, then that kind of reopening might end up being manageable. If there's another round of hospitals being overwhelmed, then it's back to square one.

And most of the people that keep bringing this up don't realize that nobody in the US had any idea of how bad it was going to be , or even how to treat it.
we did have a lot of misinformation , conflicting info from DC .
as you said all these people came back all at once and with as little info we had on this it was hard for the Governors of the NE states and the health care workers to know what to do.
Nobody had any idea that it would go from 1 reported case in NYC on March 1,to almost 76,000 by the end of the month.
and now that they have figured out how to treat it and know what to do and what not to do the Governors in states like Fla and TX should be looking at these examples and should be doing what works

Have a nice night

I agree in the early days of the pandemic is the fact that the so-called lockdown orders—indeed all public health interventions--were intended to protect people against the Covid-19 pandemic. And they were effective. There was a study conducted by researchers in the UK that found states who were hard hit but able to reduce mobility did indeed flatten the curve and did save lives. As people became more mobile early on and more careless ( not wearing masks etc ) Covid 19 once again started spreading in other states.

New York has a handle on it now. But, I know Right Wingers need to pretend that deaths in April are no different than the ones in July and August.

Do carry on.

Dead Confederates CV19.jpg

Texas is not ground zero in the beginning of the year the way New York was, and New York's trajectory, specifically its R0 numbers, look excellent and are still improving.
Texas, if the idiots who run the state would listen to science, would have the kind of advantage any large state could be jealous of.
FFS even posting billboards with a picture of a cattle roper lasooing the virus while wearing a mask would have probably accomplished half the heavy lifting on the social side of selling smart public health directives awareness because it keys into a solid state identity.
And Texans KNOW HOW to sell ideas that way.
As a person who lived in the Lone Star from 2001 to 2012 I know from firsthand experience.
Instead, they're selling Alex Jones.

I do not give a flying fig whether those contracting or dying from the virus are from red or blue states/in prisons/immigrant detention centers/nursing homes/or silly enough to attend large gatherings as they are one and all, HUMAN BEINGS. We have ALL been badly served by a president who admitted to Bob Woodward that he purposefully downplayed the dangers of this horrid disease. It is solely on Trump's head that this country which is but 4% of the world's population has endured 20+%
of the world's DEATHS! If we fail to concentrate on those simple realities, Donald Trump just might steal this election. I strongly suggest we all in our daily lives continue to drive home to those, especially, who back Trump those basic statistics and at the same time remind the Trumpeteers that we supposedly live in a country with the best health care system on the planet and thus there should NOT be 205,000+ DEATHS. Either we have been lied to on a scale not experienced previously in our lifetime OR we are all experiencing some form of mass hysteria and delusion.

'Population density', look up what that means and apply it to those two. Actually allow me to help; New York 417/sq.mi. Texas 101/sq.mi. Now, see if you can figure out why somewhere four times as densely populated might have higher rates of transmission and infection. Let me know if you need any more help.

I do not give a flying fig whether those contracting or dying from the virus are from red or blue states/in prisons/immigrant detention centers/nursing homes/or silly enough to attend large gatherings as they are one and all, HUMAN BEINGS. We have ALL been badly served by a president who admitted to Bob Woodward that he purposefully downplayed the dangers of this horrid disease. It is solely on Trump's head that this country which is but 4% of the world's population has endured 20+%
of the world's DEATHS! If we fail to concentrate on those simple realities, Donald Trump just might steal this election. I strongly suggest we all in our daily lives continue to drive home to those, especially, who back Trump those basic statistics and at the same time remind the Trumpeteers that we supposedly live in a country with the best health care system on the planet and thus there should NOT be 205,000+ DEATHS. Either we have been lied to on a scale not experienced previously in our lifetime OR we are all experiencing some form of mass hysteria and delusion.
Trust me when I tell you that Trump's ardent acolytes don't give a damn about facts, statistics or Trump's breathtaking lies. They simply don't care and hang on Trump's every pronouncement as if he were the Second Coming and the ultimate truth. Just hang out here for a while and all will be made crystal clear if it already isn't.
They don't care that he contradicts medical experts albeit his being totally unqualified in pretty much everything; they don't care that he lies to them on a daily basis; they don't care about the well-being of their fellow citizens either.
It's almost like they've been infected en masse with Trump's clearly sociopathic 'personality'.
Welcome to the forum.

Edit; regarding the "supposedly" best healthcare system. According to the WHO healthcare ratings the US currently languishes in 37th place, globally, for overall quality of healthcare, neatly sandwiched between Slovenia and Costa Rica. It's no coincidence that the entire top ten enjoy universal healthcare with France leading the world. Naturally to Trump fans UHC is simply communism. They really are that stupid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom