• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

More sensationalism from the enlightened one

Inuyasha

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Here is O'reilly again playing the sensationalist. Last time it was the war on Christmas. Now it's the war on Easter. He really milkes the hell out of a story but this time he's showing what as *** he really is.

O'Reilly Claims Easter is Under Attack

One guy in one office told his secretary to get rid of the easter crap, so O'Reilly turns that one example into all the liberals are trying to ban easter. And we don't even know if the guy is a Democrat, I assume he is but O'Reilly never said if he was or not. And when did the easter bunny become a religious symbol, that's the first I have heard of that.

-

O'REILLY: "Unresolved problem" segment tonight, Easter is coming. And look out, Easter Bunny. You're not wanted in some places.

As you may know, there is a movement in the USA to ban displays of so- called religious holidays in the public square. We went through this at Christmas time.

Now some on the left deny that's even happening. Writing today in The Kansas City Star, liberal columnist Mike Hendricks called reporting on this trend `hysteria'.

But in St. Paul, Minnesota, the city's human rights director Tyrone Terrill apparently asked the city council secretary to remove decorations, including a stuffed rabbit, Easter eggs, and a happy Easter sign that she had put up in her work space.

The woman complied and a controversy ensued

The war on the Easter Bunny and Easter Eggs if you will, has nothing to do with the Christian religion. Here's the proof. How stupid does this arrogant SOB think the American public is?

The ancient Saxons celebrated the return of spring with an uproarious festival commemorating their goddess of offspring and of springtime, Eastre. When the second-century Christian missionaries encountered the tribes of the north with their pagan celebrations, they attempted to convert them to Christianity. They did so, however, in a clandestine manner.
It would have been suicide for the very early Christian converts to celebrate their holy days with observances that did not coincide with celebrations that already existed. To save lives, the missionaries cleverly decided to spread their religious message slowly throughout the populations by allowing them to continue to celebrate pagan feasts, but to do so in a Christian manner.
As it happened, the pagan festival of Eastre occurred at the same time of year as the Christian observance of the Resurrection of Christ. It made sense, therefore, to alter the festival itself, to make it a Christian celebration as converts were slowly won over. The early name, Eastre, was eventually changed to its modern spelling, Easter.
The Easter Bunny
The Easter Bunny is not a modern invention. The symbol originated with the pagan festival of Eastre. The goddess, Eastre, was worshipped by the Anglo-Saxons through her earthly symbol, the rabbit.
The Germans brought the symbol of the Easter rabbit to America. It was widely ignored by other Christians until shortly after the Civil War. In fact, Easter itself was not widely celebrated in America until after that time.
The Easter Egg
As with the Easter Bunny and the holiday itself, the Easter Egg predates the Christian holiday of Easter. The exchange of eggs in the springtime is a custom that was centuries old when Easter was first celebrated by Christians.
From the earliest times, the egg was a symbol of rebirth in most cultures. Eggs were often wrapped in gold leaf or, if you were a peasant, colored brightly by boiling them with the leaves or petals of certain flowers.

Inuyasha said:
Here is O'reilly again playing the sensationalist. Last time it was the war on Christmas. Now it's the war on Easter. He really milkes the hell out of a story but this time he's showing what as *** he really is.

O'Reilly Claims Easter is Under Attack

One guy in one office told his secretary to get rid of the easter crap, so O'Reilly turns that one example into all the liberals are trying to ban easter. And we don't even know if the guy is a Democrat, I assume he is but O'Reilly never said if he was or not. And when did the easter bunny become a religious symbol, that's the first I have heard of that.

-

O'REILLY: "Unresolved problem" segment tonight, Easter is coming. And look out, Easter Bunny. You're not wanted in some places.

As you may know, there is a movement in the USA to ban displays of so- called religious holidays in the public square. We went through this at Christmas time.

Now some on the left deny that's even happening. Writing today in The Kansas City Star, liberal columnist Mike Hendricks called reporting on this trend `hysteria'.

But in St. Paul, Minnesota, the city's human rights director Tyrone Terrill apparently asked the city council secretary to remove decorations, including a stuffed rabbit, Easter eggs, and a happy Easter sign that she had put up in her work space.

The woman complied and a controversy ensued

The war on the Easter Bunny and Easter Eggs if you will, has nothing to do with the Christian religion. Here's the proof. How stupid does this arrogant SOB think the American public is?

The ancient Saxons celebrated the return of spring with an uproarious festival commemorating their goddess of offspring and of springtime, Eastre. When the second-century Christian missionaries encountered the tribes of the north with their pagan celebrations, they attempted to convert them to Christianity. They did so, however, in a clandestine manner.
It would have been suicide for the very early Christian converts to celebrate their holy days with observances that did not coincide with celebrations that already existed. To save lives, the missionaries cleverly decided to spread their religious message slowly throughout the populations by allowing them to continue to celebrate pagan feasts, but to do so in a Christian manner.
As it happened, the pagan festival of Eastre occurred at the same time of year as the Christian observance of the Resurrection of Christ. It made sense, therefore, to alter the festival itself, to make it a Christian celebration as converts were slowly won over. The early name, Eastre, was eventually changed to its modern spelling, Easter.
The Easter Bunny
The Easter Bunny is not a modern invention. The symbol originated with the pagan festival of Eastre. The goddess, Eastre, was worshipped by the Anglo-Saxons through her earthly symbol, the rabbit.
The Germans brought the symbol of the Easter rabbit to America. It was widely ignored by other Christians until shortly after the Civil War. In fact, Easter itself was not widely celebrated in America until after that time.
The Easter Egg
As with the Easter Bunny and the holiday itself, the Easter Egg predates the Christian holiday of Easter. The exchange of eggs in the springtime is a custom that was centuries old when Easter was first celebrated by Christians.
From the earliest times, the egg was a symbol of rebirth in most cultures. Eggs were often wrapped in gold leaf or, if you were a peasant, colored brightly by boiling them with the leaves or petals of certain flowers.

Strange title for this thread.

Anywho, I think we all predicted that O'Reilly would be fanning the flames of "The War on Easter"

Just like clockwork.

Who gives a flying f$%# about O'Reilly? He's just a commentator. It's not as if his show is a news broadcast, and everyone already admits that Fox is a conservative network. Who are you trying to convince? The important question is whether or not the other networks are like Fox. The answer is yes and no. They're biased like Fox, but they have a different bias, and they have guys that are worse than O'Reilly, such as Bill Press and Bob Beckel.

Why do some of us harp on Reilly so much It's not so much the individual as it is that quality of thought that is dangerous. If you think I harp on it check this out. A whole web site devoted to bashing O'Reilly. Besides everybody on this board obseeses with their own trivial points. Minè's O'Reilly.If you got a problem with that don't read the posts on him then.

http://69.73.163.60/oreillysucks/index.php

Bill Press is a harmless dolt who can't keep an audience for 5 minutes.

Easter will arrive on time as always, and be celebrated as much as ever, but only if Dick Cheney can be kept far away from the Easter Bunny. If he shot at loveable little Quayle, he'll kill anything.

He's a talk show host. Turn it off if you don't like what he's selling. That's what I do.

Inuyasha said:
Why do some of us harp on Reilly so much It's not so much the individual as it is that quality of thought that is dangerous. If you think I harp on it check this out. A whole web site devoted to bashing O'Reilly. Besides everybody on this board obseeses with their own trivial points. Minè's O'Reilly.If you got a problem with that don't read the posts on him then.

Atleast O'reilly admits that he is a commentator the liberal media nationwide still claims that what they do is actually journalism.

Dangerous thinking? Enter the thought police. :roll:

Inuyasha said:

You forgot about my favorite site, and the the new book that goes with it.

http://www.sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com/

SJIHBOCover-399x600.jpg

I almost bought it Friday, but picked up "Crashing The Gate" instead. A sobering must read for liberals.

mpg said:
Who gives a flying f$%# about O'Reilly? He's just a commentator. It's not as if his show is a news broadcast, and everyone already admits that Fox is a conservative network. Who are you trying to convince? The important question is whether or not the other networks are like Fox. The answer is yes and no. They're biased like Fox, but they have a different bias, and they have guys that are worse than O'Reilly, such as Bill Press and Bob Beckel.

I never heard of Bob Beckel so I can't comment. Bill Press has a pretty good morning show on Sirius. I've called in a few times.

Inuyasha said:
One guy in one office told his secretary to get rid of the easter crap, so O'Reilly turns that one example into all the liberals are trying to ban easter.

I don't know about all liberals, but I know I would certainly like to ban easter, christmas, hannakuh, ramadan, kwanzaa, and simply religion in general.

Inuyasha said:
One guy in one office told his secretary to get rid of the easter crap, so O'Reilly turns that one example into all the liberals are trying to ban easter.

I don't know about all liberals, but I know I would certainly like to ban easter, christmas, hannakuh, ramadan, kwanzaa, and simply religion in general.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
At least O'reilly admits that he is a commentator the liberal media nationwide still claims that what they do is actually journalism.

Isn't it ?

Media outlets exist entirely for one purpose, to act as an advertising medium.
Programming does not exist to provide a public service. It exists to gain ratings
for the sponsors. Without ratings, the programs cease to exist.

Unfortunately, too many folks believe they are really watching the "news"

Back
Top Bottom