• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

More Patriotic, Conservatives or Liberals?

More Patriotic, Conservatives or Liberals?

• Conservatives

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Liberals

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

ptsdkid

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Anyone calling themself a Conservative is by nature very patriotic.

Here is a short list of quotes from ivory tower liberal professors, from the book 'The Professors' by David Horowitz:

Professor M. Shahid Alam (Northeastern University)
"America's terrorist enemies are really "freedom fighters" and America a Great Satan".

Professor Sami al-Arian (University of South florida)
"Let us damn America, let us damn Israel, let us damn them and their allies until death." "We assemble today to pay respects to the march of the martyrs and to the river of blood that gushes forth and does not extinguish, from butchery to butchery, and from martyrdom to martyrdom, from jihad to jihad."

Professor David Barash (University of Washington)
"the American Founders were terrorists, and the terrorists in Iraq can be viewed as patriots." "The terrorists that killed 3,000 innocent civilians from eighty countries in the heinous attacks of 9/11 can thus be viewed as "freedom fighters" striking the oppressor."

Hatem Bazian (University of California, Berkeley)
"the day of Judgment will never happen until you fight the Jews...and the stones will say, 'Oh Muslim, there is a Jew hiding behind me. Come and kill him!'"

Professor Marc Becker (Truman State University)
"Christopher Columbus's actions launched an era of modern colonialism, rape, pillage, genocide, cultural destruction, slavery, economic and environmental devastation."

Professor Noam Chomsky (MIT)
the U.S. military response against the terrorists in Afghanistan was a calculated "genocide" that would cause the deaths of 3-4 million Afghans. "America is the world's greatest terrorist state."

These are but a mere snapshot of our liberal elitist professors. Lately, we've seen this Binish teacher and of course...Ward Churchill criticize our country. These are all tenured professors at our Universities teaching students their anti-American radicalism. Hard to believe how any liberal could support this type of anti patriotism, especially during time of war.

To be honest, I think both sides have their true patriots and then the rest. I believe patriotism can only be judged by the intent of the persons actions;
for instance, many people since the founding of this country have had disagreements on exactly which way our nation should go, some would willingly sacrifice their own agendas for the good of liberty, and others believe that their niche issues are of key importance and not debatable, I lean more to wards the latter of the arguments, sure, things could use tweaking in some areas, however, the precedence set by doing so could be extremely dangerous.
All sides have their failings, as a rule, conservatives are against morally offensive expression, whereas liberals are against the socially offensive or insensitive variety, both are wrong, while I can see both sides of this particular argument would set in motion an erosion of first amendment protections. The second amendment is more or less owned by conservatives as well as the ninth and it seems that the private property protections are an even split, with only the most extreme of either side defending the extension of eminent domain by the latest supreme court ruling.
Sorry to go long here, but I think that while I myself am tempted to say that conservatives seem to be more patriotic, our side makes it's fair share of mistakes that would embarrass the founding fathers should they be around today. I am a constitutional conservative and only support reigning a right in if it is pr oven absolutely necessary and proper beyond a shadow of a doubt.

This thread is incite to flame, down to the basement you go!!

Last edited:
Some people say "my country is always wrong". They are not patriotic. Some people say "my country is always right". They are not patriotic, either.

The true patriots are those who understand the principles upon which this country was founded, want us continue to uphold these principles, and who are willing to point out when we are and are not upholding them. These people are not determined by some nominal label another applies to them, but by their character and itegrity. Just as there are unpatriotic people on the left side of the political spectrum who see this country as the source of all the world's ills, there are those who are patriotic and want our country to be the best it can be. Just as there are unpatriotic people on the right side of the political spectrum who support the abrogation of principles we hold dear, there are also those who are patriotic and also want us to be the best we can be.

It's all a matter of political maturity, freedom from the myopia imposed by excessive partisanship, and intellectual honesty as far as I'm concerned. Patriots are patriots no matter the stripe.

LaMidRighter said:
for instance, many people since the founding of this country have had disagreements on exactly which way our nation should go, some would willingly sacrifice their own agendas for the good of liberty, and others believe that their niche issues are of key importance and not debatable, I lean more to wards the latter of the arguments,
Ooops! I meant to say the former of the two arguments, that's what happens when you try to form a thought on only four hours of sleep.:3oops:

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does NOT mean to stand by the President or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."**********Teddy Roosevelt.

Patriotism is a matter of definition I suppose. I think some people who wrap themselves in the flag and claim to be patriotic Americans simply because they unconditionally support the president, the war, and wear flag pins on their lapels may want to read what Teddy had to say about that.

Back
Top Bottom