• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More housekeeping underway..... "White soldier charged with assault for shoving, berating Black man in viral video"

BlueTex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
What's amusing, is his WIFE is the one who took this video and posted it online... Imagine how delusional you have to be to proudly post the evidence of your husbands assault of another person...

A white active-duty soldier who was seen in a viral video berating and shoving a Black man in a South Carolina neighborhood has been charged with third-degree assault and battery, according to the Richland County Sheriff's Department.

"The first time I saw the video, it was terrible," Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said at a press conference Wednesday evening. "It was unnecessary. It was a bad video -- young man was the victim, the individual that was arrested was the aggressor, and he's been dealt with accordingly."

Jonathan Pentland, who is a U.S. Army soldier assigned to Fort Jackson, was arrested at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday and was booked at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center. If found guilty, Pentland faces a $500 fine and 30 days in jail.

What's amusing, is his WIFE is the one who took this video and posted it online... Imagine how delusional you have to be to proudly post the evidence of your husbands assault of another person...

A white active-duty soldier who was seen in a viral video berating and shoving a Black man in a South Carolina neighborhood has been charged with third-degree assault and battery, according to the Richland County Sheriff's Department.

"The first time I saw the video, it was terrible," Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said at a press conference Wednesday evening. "It was unnecessary. It was a bad video -- young man was the victim, the individual that was arrested was the aggressor, and he's been dealt with accordingly."

Jonathan Pentland, who is a U.S. Army soldier assigned to Fort Jackson, was arrested at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday and was booked at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center. If found guilty, Pentland faces a $500 fine and 30 days in jail.

I don't think that's accurate. What I had read was that some people passing by were worried about the black individual and took video as evidence of what was happening. They posted with permission of the black individual.

The police indicated that the black individual was up to no good previously, though they declined to give details. I wonder what was going on prior to the video between him and the girl they claim he was in a fight with.

Last edited:
And...in other news...

I wonder if anyone got arrested for assaulting those white guys?

This needs more information about making any assessment as to why he was demanding he leave. I do not approve of jumping to conclusions that this was based on race from that small snippet of video that gives no real indication of that. People are basing that off their own assumptions based on nothing more than race.

That being said, he had no right to touch that guy in any way, no matter what went on before that or if there was something else happening before what we see here. The Sgt deserves to get charged with assault there. The rest of the circumstances need to come forward first before making any other assessments.

Now he's got demonstrators out in front of his house.

lol

Looks like the ammunition shortage will continue.

Now he's got demonstrators out in front of his house.

lol

Looks like the ammunition shortage will continue.

That's not okay, especially since that means his family is in danger (you don't live in base housing unless you have family). They showed people getting violent. And people do not have the information that is needed to properly assess this situation fairly, what his actions, however out of line they may have been.

The police indicated that the black individual was up to no good previously, though they declined to give details. I wonder what was going on prior to the video between him and the girl they claim he was in a fight with.

Some details have now come out. The black guy is mentally ill and has been trespassing and harming animals in the past. He has now been committed.

Before the encounter, he had allegedly sexually assaulted a girl. pulling on her shirt trying to go down pants. She walked away and rang the white guy's doorbell to ask for help. I guess that is where the video of the encounter starts

The young black man aggressively confronted by Army drill sergeant Jonathan Pentland is mentally ill and has been committed to a facility following the incident in a quiet gated community, Dailymail.com can reveal.
The alleged victim - identified only as Deandre on social media - has been facing charges of trespass and animal cruelty from different incidents, Dailymail.com can reveal.

Last edited:
Some details have now come out. The black guy is mentally ill and has been trespassing and harming animals in the past.

Before the encounter, he had sexually assaulted a girl. pulling on her shirt trying to go down pants. She walked away and rang the white guy's doorbell to ask for help. I guess that is where the video of the encounter starts

There are always 3 sides to a story.

There are always 3 sides to a story.

True. Wonder why they decided to commit the kid after the incident, though. Time will tell.. maybe.

I don't think that's accurate. What I had read was that some people passing by were worried about the black individual and took video as evidence of what was happening. They posted with permission of the black individual.

Not his problem

Some details have now come out. The black guy is mentally ill and has been trespassing and harming animals in the past. He has now been committed.

Before the encounter, he had allegedly sexually assaulted a girl. pulling on her shirt trying to go down pants. She walked away and rang the white guy's doorbell to ask for help. I guess that is where the video of the encounter starts

Still not his job. Bring the girl inside, call the cops..or whoever.

1618701956744.png

Not his problem
And if the girl didn't want to come inside just let it continue?

Not saying that he had any business touching, pushing or hitting the guy at all, but he also was not the instigator in this, and it absolutely was misrepresented in what happened. Like I said, he does deserve charges for getting physical with this guy, but that does not mean he shouldn't have stepped in to ask the guy to leave the area for his behavior. It is definitely better to allow the police to deal with it but that would go for those who were "protesting" the Soldier as well.

And if the girl didn't want to come inside just let it continue?

Not saying that he had any business touching, pushing or hitting the guy at all, but he also was not the instigator in this, and it absolutely was misrepresented in what happened. Like I said, he does deserve charges for getting physical with this guy, but that does not mean he shouldn't have stepped in to ask the guy to leave the area for his behavior. It is definitely better to allow the police to deal with it but that would go for those who were "protesting" the Soldier as well.
You put yourself between the guy and girl but stand firm and keep your hands to yourself.

Call the cops and that's about it.

You put yourself between the guy and girl but stand firm and keep your hands to yourself.

Call the cops and that's about it.
I agree. But then there is also not evidence he did anything he did do based on race of the individual nor that the person was simply walking around the neighborhood. That is part of the problem I have with this. People protested this Sgt's house for the assumption that this was based on race, when there was no real evidence of that at all just from that video. That is at least as bad, if not worse than what he did. They threw at least a brick through a window of his house. Put his family at risk over an incident people protesting did not even bother or care to get more information about.

I agree. But then there is also not evidence he did anything he did do based on race of the individual nor that the person was simply walking around the neighborhood. That is part of the problem I have with this. People protested this Sgt's house for the assumption that this was based on race, when there was no real evidence of that at all just from that video. That is at least as bad, if not worse than what he did. They threw at least a brick through a window of his house. Put his family at risk over an incident people protesting did not even bother or care to get more information about.
Shrug..

Yeah that says a lot more about you then this soldiers actions say about him. And not in a good way that’s for sure.
This is my caring face.
Actions have consequences..

And...in other news...

I wonder if anyone got arrested for assaulting those white guys?

Whataboutism gives a clue to its meaning in its name. It is not merely the changing of a subject to deflect away from an earlier subject as a political strategy; it’s essentially a reversal of accusation, arguing that an opponent is guilty of an offense just as egregious or worse than what the original party was accused of doing, however unconnected the offenses may be.

The tactic behind whataboutism has been around for a long time. Rhetoricians generally consider it to be a form of tu quoque, which means "you too" in Latin and involves charging your accuser with whatever it is you've just been accused of rather than refuting the truth of the accusation made against you. Tu quoque is considered to be a logical fallacy, because whether or not the original accuser is likewise guilty of an offense has no bearing on the truth value of the original accusation.

Consequences should be reasonable and justified. Charging him with assault is both reasonable and justified. Protesting his residence and acting violently are not.
Violence no..protesting? That'd fine

Whataboutism gives a clue to its meaning in its name. It is not merely the changing of a subject to deflect away from an earlier subject as a political strategy; it’s essentially a reversal of accusation, arguing that an opponent is guilty of an offense just as egregious or worse than what the original party was accused of doing, however unconnected the offenses may be.

The tactic behind whataboutism has been around for a long time. Rhetoricians generally consider it to be a form of tu quoque, which means "you too" in Latin and involves charging your accuser with whatever it is you've just been accused of rather than refuting the truth of the accusation made against you. Tu quoque is considered to be a logical fallacy, because whether or not the original accuser is likewise guilty of an offense has no bearing on the truth value of the original accusation.

Now ironic, coming from you.

NOT TRUE. His wife did not take the video it was someone else.

The man's wife was standing to his left and out of frame (on the right). When the Black guy started to attempt to walk around the White man an onto his lawn near where his wife was standing, that is when the White man pushed the Black man back.It was shove, but intended to prevent the Black guy from getting closer to his wife.

After he shoved him he didn't touch him again or hit him. This will be his defense. That a stranger in the neighborhood, who had already had the police called on him for a day before over some unwanted touching to a female resident, and next day the guy comes back and is questioned about where he lives and asked to leave. In a neighborhood by the way which is a private HOA.

The police have said that the Black man has some "medical issues" which may be some mental illness or something else. But that fact is he made people feel a little threatened by his odd behavior, and that is what kicked this thing off. But it was NOT the wife doing the video. Watch the video again, and you can hear another woman talking off to the right, and the black man started to approach her. Who wouldn't shove someone away from their wife that way. I would and have done so myself.

NOT TRUE. His wife did not take the video it was someone else.

The man's wife was standing to his left and out of frame (on the right). When the Black guy started to attempt to walk around the White man an onto his lawn near where his wife was standing, that is when the White man pushed the Black man back.It was shove, but intended to prevent the Black guy from getting closer to his wife.

After he shoved him he didn't touch him again or hit him. This will be his defense. That a stranger in the neighborhood, who had already had the police called on him for a day before over some unwanted touching to a female resident, and next day the guy comes back and is questioned about where he lives and asked to leave. In a neighborhood by the way which is a private HOA.

The police have said that the Black man has some "medical issues" which may be some mental illness or something else. But that fact is he made people feel a little threatened by his odd behavior, and that is what kicked this thing off. But it was NOT the wife doing the video. Watch the video again, and you can hear another woman talking off to the right, and the black man started to approach her. Who wouldn't shove someone away from their wife that way. I would and have done so myself.

LOL... Don’t give up your day job for a legal career... A private HOA has NO relevance. Those are public streets and sidewalks. The guy is toast.. The Army has suspended him from DI duties and his career is over.

The kids LIVES in the neighborhood. This would be a fine example of a situation where trying to be badass can have long term implications.

There is no defense that is going to make this go away.

Back
Top Bottom