• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More Green New Deal: Let’s replace air travel with high-speed rail

I've long advocated for phasing out air travel in favor of trains.

To address the morons that are hung up about travel across oceans. There is this place called the Bering Straight. And it turns out that there is already projects in the works to stick a tunnel under it. Russian even approved 65 billion back in 2007.

We have the tech, the worlds largest boring machine recently finished digging a four lane highway under seattle. Took it four years to do 60 miles.

With a tunnel between Siberia and Russia, we could connect rail from the tip of South America to every part of Europe.

Rail is the way to go. It's more efficient, and we can run it all on electric...

And for the morons about to point out that 4 lanes width isn't large enough, you can bore more than one hole through the Bering Straight.

Ya see market forces were already heading this way, because air travel is super inefficient. Throwing up a roadblock because it's part of the Green New Deal is literally shooting yourself in the foot to spite your own ****ing face.

She drives people on the right crazy in the exact same way Michelle Bachmann drove people on the left crazy. This is essentially what she is... the left's version of Michelle Bachmann. Whip up the base with rhetoric, propose crazy ideas that appeal to the base but have ZERO chance of ever coming to fruition, and then blame the other side when none of it ever happens.

Nice try, but top this, AOC: “The very Founders who wrote those documents worked tirelessly til slavery was no more in the US.” And then, if I remember correctly, there was her blaming swine flu on democrats.

So when asked to show where she said something, you show where she did not say it. Well done!

Redress, you know exactly what that means. Stop whatever it is you think you are doing and just own that's what she is claiming.

That’s it? That translates into no air traffic? She also says she wants to get rid of farting cows. Do you take that as more than just a hyperbolic expression to make a point, or do you assume she will she be passing out Gas-X to cows? Haven’t you been listening to Trump these past years? You gotta get out more.

Seriously, wtf do you think getting rid of airplanes means?

we aren’t sure that we’ll be able to fully get rid of farting cows and airplanes that fast,

Seriously, wtf do you think getting rid of airplanes means?

I think it’s hyperbole, which if I remember well from the 8th grade, means “exaggeration to make a point.” Do you think she was serious about abolishing farting as well?

I have the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge which I would be willing to part with if you are interested.

That’s it? That translates into no air traffic? She also says she wants to get rid of farting cows. Do you take that as more than just a hyperbolic expression to make a point, or do you assume she will she be passing out Gas-X to cows? Haven’t you been listening to Trump these past years? You gotta get out more.

build out highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary,

You are denying what she is on record as saying. Its not hyperbole, its her stated goal.

So you cannot find where she says what you claim, so you go with making **** up. Why is this such a pattern for you? Are you that unable to counter what she actually proposed?

A 100% transition to green energy means no fuel for the aircraft. Stop trying to defend this commie bull****.

I've long advocated for phasing out air travel in favor of trains.

To address the morons that are hung up about travel across oceans. There is this place called the Bering Straight. And it turns out that there is already projects in the works to stick a tunnel under it. Russian even approved 65 billion back in 2007.

We have the tech, the worlds largest boring machine recently finished digging a four lane highway under seattle. Took it four years to do 60 miles.

With a tunnel between Siberia and Russia, we could connect rail from the tip of South America to every part of Europe.

Rail is the way to go. It's more efficient, and we can run it all on electric...

And for the morons about to point out that 4 lanes width isn't large enough, you can bore more than one hole through the Bering Straight.

Ya see market forces were already heading this way, because air travel is super inefficient. Throwing up a roadblock because it's part of the Green New Deal is literally shooting yourself in the foot to spite your own ****ing face.

Where does the electric come from? It comes from fossil fuels. Plus all that digging uses high powered machinery that use dirty fossil fuels. Lots of them. Rail also is going to need a ton of eminent domain. We cant even get a second line up here because we are so densely packed in and nobody wants to live near a high speed rail line.

Where does the electric come from? It comes from fossil fuels. Plus all that digging uses high powered machinery that use dirty fossil fuels. Lots of them. Rail also is going to need a ton of eminent domain. We cant even get a second line up here because we are so densely packed in and nobody wants to live near a high speed rail line.

Where does the electric come from?

I've answered this question quite a bit, getting kinda tired of it. What is hard about using ****ing google people?

I can go into electric via Hemp production, for about 6 hours.
I can go into electric via the sugar beet for about 6 hours.
I can go into a new piece of technology that turns molten silicone into a mini sun.
I can go into advances in wind turbines.
I can go into Dams.
I can go into Hydro fracking technology being converted into geothermal technology.
I can go into the advances of batteries.
I can go into solar energy.
I can talk about how brazil, uses sugar production to fuel it's vehicles and provide energy.

Or... Or... you can learn how to use google and join us in the modern age.

Because right now, none of the electric I use comes from a fossil fuel. Zero. Nada. And my electric bill was 66 dollars last month.

And I consider that high.

And I don't care if it does take eminent domain, Oh no, people will be forced to accept market value for their property from a guaranteed buyer. The horror. Cry me a river. I'm not some empathetic liberal who cares. I'm a capitalist. Nor do I care if you want to live near a high speed rail line.

Not doing it the dumbest way possible, just because it's more convenient for you. Read my avatar...

Where does the electric come from?

I've answered this question quite a bit, getting kinda tired of it. What is hard about using ****ing google people?

I can go into electric via Hemp production, for about 6 hours.
I can go into electric via the sugar beet for about 6 hours.
I can go into a new piece of technology that turns molten silicone into a mini sun.
I can go into advances in wind turbines.
I can go into Dams.
I can go into Hydro fracking technology being converted into geothermal technology.
I can go into the advances of batteries.
I can go into solar energy.
I can talk about how brazil, uses sugar production to fuel it's vehicles and provide energy.

Or... Or... you can learn how to use google and join us in the modern age.

Because right now, none of the electric I use comes from a fossil fuel. Zero. Nada. And my electric bill was 66 dollars last month.

And I consider that high.

And I don't care if it does take eminent domain, Oh no, people will be forced to accept market value for their property from a guaranteed buyer. The horror. Cry me a river. I'm not some empathetic liberal who cares. I'm a capitalist. Nor do I care if you want to live near a high speed rail line.

Not doing it the dumbest way possible, just because it's more convenient for you. Read my avatar...

All those options still use some sort of fossil fuels. Sugar is picked via machines which run on fossil fuels. The process for transforming the cane into usable quantities also requires fossil fuels for heating and breaking it down. Same thing with hemp and beets which is heavily mechanized. Then of course the transporting of those products all over for usage in electricity. There is no such thing as no fossil fuels these days. Even an electric battery requires tons of fossil fuels to mine it and then ship it halfway around the world for building. We may not like it but its the world we live in. Sure we can improve these things over time but to say zero is a bit of a pipe dream.

Redress, you know exactly what that means. Stop whatever it is you think you are doing and just own that's what she is claiming.

It means what it says, which is not what you claim it says. Why can you not critique her honestly?

A 100% transition to green energy means no fuel for the aircraft. Stop trying to defend this commie bull****.

No, it does not mean that. You clearly have not read the document, and have no clue what it actually says beyond the spoon fed claims a few nutty right wing blogs have told you. Hint: it calls for research, and it uses the phrase "where practical".

Gonna be tough for the Dems to get to their lobbyist-funded vacations overseas...like in Puerto Rico etal during the shutdown....

So you don't know what she actually said either.

The Green New Steal wants to ban airplanes. These mother****ers are crazy. :lamo

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/02/07/green-new-deal-lets-replace-air-travel-high-speed-rail/

More troll ****

"hotiar.com' yup, exactly that.

Wanting to have more people use high speed rails instead of planes is not banning planes. Dumb

Is every conservative a ****ing moron? Seriously, look at the flood of dumb? Are all these people just pathetic trolls? it's hard to fathom a member of the human species could be this stupid and dishonest

She drives people on the right crazy in the exact same way Michelle Bachmann drove people on the left crazy. This is essentially what she is... the left's version of Michelle Bachmann. Whip up the base with rhetoric, propose crazy ideas that appeal to the base but have ZERO chance of ever coming to fruition, and then blame the other side when none of it ever happens.

There is nothing crazy about high speed rails, its used on Europe and Asia very frequently. We could have built a country wide high speed rail system for a fraction of the money we pissed away in iraq killing and destroying. The tax revenue that was given to billionaires could have paid for it. Universal Health Care is successful in every industrialized country but the USS. Green energy is proving to provide energy at lower costs and without need for fossil fuels with the improvements in solar and other green technologies. Entire industries are being created in green energy, led not by the US as with most technological advances in the past, but Europe and China, because of the idiocy of conservatives buying the propaganda from oil and gas that don't want to get rid of their stranglehold on energy. they even want to destroy national parks and federal forest to profite even more.

Every argument she makes is supported by facts, expert opinions, rationale. Unlike the BS conservatives do, just call something crazy and stupid, or make some incorrect statement of fact, and that is their entire argument. Do you conservative ever get tired of embarrassing yourselves with your dumb posts?

here will come yet another dumb one line deflection that won't address anything I said, or back up their claim. That's par for the course from conservatives, they have no facts, they have no arguments. Just childish **** like calling people crazy

More troll ****

"hotiar.com' yup, exactly that.

Wanting to have more people use high speed rails instead of planes is not banning planes. Dumb

Is every conservative a ****ing moron? Seriously, look at the flood of dumb? Are all these people just pathetic trolls? it's hard to fathom a member of the human species could be this stupid and dishonest

The new green steal wants to transition to 100% green energy. What are those airplanes going to use for fuel. So far, none of you are smart enough to answer that question. Can you?

How many people are going to die when trains are running at 250 MPH?

Go look at Asia, Europe, who used high speed rails regarding that. They are probably a hell of a lot safer than our crumbling garbage train tracks we have in this country that go a lot slower

I have no problem with high speed rail but the idea that we are ever, ever replacing air travel is an absurdity. I'm wondering when she'll suggest returning to steam power. At least that's 1200 years newer than windmills.:lol:

It means what it says, which is not what you claim it says. Why can you not critique her honestly?

I did. Eliminate air travel and expand high speed rail to make air travel unnecessary. Why can't you admit that's what she said?

No, it does not mean that. You clearly have not read the document, and have no clue what it actually says beyond the spoon fed claims a few nutty right wing blogs have told you. Hint: it calls for research, and it uses the phrase "where practical".

It doesn't say "where practical" here:

meeting 100 percent of the power demand in the United States through clean, renewable, and zero-emission energy sources, including—
(i) by dramatically expanding and upgrading existing renewable power sources; and
(ii) by deploying new capacity;

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/0...on-introduced-by-rep-alexandra-ocasio-cortez/

Back
Top Bottom