• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More Fun with guns!

I guess according to the right the lesson to be learned here, shoot your kids before they shoot you. I see you are being inundated with responses.
Nope, the lesson from the right, and the left who own guns is to properly store them, separate ammo from gun, and make sure they're inaccessible to kids. Oh, and to ignore ignorant ill-informed wacko anti-gun nuts.

It doesn't fit their narrative.

As soon as you can properly point out the difference between a side effect of something and an intended result, we can have this question honestly.

The side effect of a kid drinking Draino is indeed potentially death. That said, the intended purpose of Draino is to unclog a pipe.

The side effect of a kid accidentally getting his hands on a gun is that they could shoot someone and kill them. Ironically, the intended purpose of a gun is to do just that.

Accidents are one thing....getting the designed result of an action isn't an accident under any circumstance. Dick Cheney may not have intended to shoot his friend in the face hunting, but to claim that the gun doing exactly what it was supposed to as an accident is just plain stupid.

https://komonews.com/news/local/mom-accidentally-shot-in-neck-by-4-year-old-child-in-skyway

Just keeping the family safe by keeping a loaded gun under the mattress.

Pregnant mom shot by 4 year old.

The odds are greater you will be shot by accident in your home than you will use a gun to protect yourself in your home... by a lot. But the "red hats" need more guns.

When are liberals in Democrat strongholds going to start teaching their children that guns are NOT TOYS, and NO, they are NOT ENTITLED TO DO WHAT THEY CHOOSE?

As soon as you can properly point out the difference between a side effect of something and an intended result, we can have this question honestly.

The side effect of a kid drinking Draino is indeed potentially death. That said, the intended purpose of Draino is to unclog a pipe.

The side effect of a kid accidentally getting his hands on a gun is that they could shoot someone and kill them. Ironically, the intended purpose of a gun is to do just that.

Accidents are one thing....getting the designed result of an action isn't an accident under any circumstance. Dick Cheney may not have intended to shoot his friend in the face hunting, but to claim that the gun doing exactly what it was supposed to as an accident is just plain stupid.
Can you provide even a single pro-gun source advising an owner to store a firearm loaded and under a mattress? Because when I look at the gun community's suggestions on storage all I see are safes and trigger locks.

If only that wasn't a post turtle response, as it had NOTHING to do with what I posted.

I was responding to someone who was trying to make the point that it happened in a "liberal stronghold". I simply pointed out that it happens in conservative strongholds as well.

I know kids die in unfortunate fires all the time. Unless its an arson with intent to kill, its ALWAYS an accident that someone dies in a fire. Not so much when someone gets shot, and you damn well know it.

If only that wasn't a post turtle response, as it had NOTHING to do with what I posted.

I was responding to someone who was trying to make the point that it happened in a "liberal stronghold". I simply pointed out that it happens in conservative strongholds as well.

I know kids die in unfortunate fires all the time. Unless its an arson with intent to kill, its ALWAYS an accident that someone dies in a fire. Not so much when someone gets shot, and you damn well know it.

Short of lightning strikes and meteorites, all fires are preventable. All fire deaths are preventable, with the proper planning. You didn't answer my question about fire extinguishers in your home.

They are infiltrating , after escaping Taxifornia...obviously.

Cleary Beta O'Rourke supporters.

Yep ELECTED TWO DEMOCRATS to the HOUSE in November..and over 134,000 voted for Beta O'Rourke, in DENTON , TEXAS.

https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/TX/Denton/92173/Web02.221448/#/

AS I said:

When are liberals in Democrat strongholds going to start teaching their children that guns are NOT TOYS, and NO, they are NOT ENTITLED TO DO WHAT THEY CHOOSE?

Did that hurt much?

shoot self in foot.jpg

The OP was about WASHINGTON STATE, BTW.

https://komonews.com/news/local/mom-accidentally-shot-in-neck-by-4-year-old-child-in-skyway

Last edited:
They are infiltrating , after escaping Taxifornia...obviously.

Cleary Beta O'Rourke supporters.

Yep ELECTED TWO DEMOCRATS to the HOUSE in November..and over 134,000 voted for Beta O'Rourke, in DENTON , TEXAS.

https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/TX/Denton/92173/Web02.221448/#/

AS I said:

Did that hurt much?

View attachment 67249606

The OP was about WASHINGTON STATE, BTW.

Yes, the OP was about WA. You then tried to make it out like it doesn't happen in conservative areas. I simply provided you evidence to the contrary.

You're welcome.

Oh, and the incident I provided you came from an area of Texas that hasn't voted Democrat in like, forever, so the point I made stands.

Short of lightning strikes and meteorites, all fires are preventable. All fire deaths are preventable, with the proper planning. You didn't answer my question about fire extinguishers in your home.

Yes, I have fire extinguishers in my home, and I and my kids are well aware of how to utilize them.

They are also aware of the dangers of matches, lighters and cooking oils and such in the prevention of fires.

Sufficient answer?

Can you provide even a single pro-gun source advising an owner to store a firearm loaded and under a mattress? Because when I look at the gun community's suggestions on storage all I see are safes and trigger locks.

Where did I say there was one?

My post was a response to someone trying to equivocate a kid dying from accidentally drinking Draino to this.

Don't think it went unnoticed that you didn't bother to try to explain the difference between an accident and an intended result.

Where did I say there was one?

My post was a response to someone trying to equivocate a kid dying from accidentally drinking Draino to this.

Don't think it went unnoticed that you didn't bother to try to explain the difference between an accident and an intended result.
This was not an example of the intended result, so there is no explanation to expect.

This was not an example of the intended result, so there is no explanation to expect.

How was it not? The intended result of a firearm being used properly, or improperly for that matter, is to cause harm to someone or something.

How was it not? The intended result of a firearm being used properly, or improperly for that matter, is to cause harm to someone or something.
We can document the intended result of a firearm being used properly. I can give several examples, here's one:

11.jpg

A 4-y/o child shooting his mother is neither home defense or self-defense. It is a misuse of the product.

We can document the intended result of a firearm being used properly. I can give several examples, here's one:

View attachment 67249611

A 4-y/o child shooting his mother is neither home defense or self-defense. It is a misuse of the product.

I'll give you a B- for the spin attempt.

The purpose of firearm is to fire a projectile at a target, causing damage and most likely death should that target be a living entity.

Firing the projectile is how you go about protecting your house or your person. Its not like you are buying that gun so you can buttstroke someone to death with it, now is it?

The gun performed as it was supposed to.

Simple fact......while YOU might not be the intended target of your own firearm, if you are shot with your own firearm, calling it an unintended action is not accurate.

Unintended does not equal undesirable.

You're confusing what it does with why it does it.

The purpose of a firearm is to send a projectile down range, is it not?

The why doesn't change the purpose.

The purpose of a hammer is to drive a nail. The fact that I locked my keys in the car and used a hammer to break the window doesn't change what the actual purpose of the hammer was intended to be.

The purpose of a firearm is to send a projectile down range, is it not?
It is not. Sending a projectile down range is it's function, not its purpose; what it does, not why it does it.

The why doesn't change the purpose.
The why is the purpose. That's iteraly what the words mean.

The purpose of a hammer is to drive a nail. The fact that I locked my keys in the car and used a hammer to break the window doesn't change what the actual purpose of the hammer was intended to be.
Right but here you are saying that because someone left their hammer where a 4 y/o could use it to smash a car window, that therefore hammers are for smashing car windows.

I'm the one telling you that hammers are for driving nails, and smashing a car window is a misuse of the hammer.

It is not. Sending a projectile down range is it's function, not its purpose; what it does, not why it does it.

Good God man.....nobody buys a gun so they can hit someone with it. They do so because of what the gun is intended to do, which is fire a projectile. Its kinda the reason they called them firearms.

The why is the purpose. That's iteraly what the words mean.

No, the why is what what you do with it, not the purpose. Whether your desire is to shoot people, animals or clay pigeons, in the end, you can't perform ANY of those unless the gun performs its intended purpose, which is fire the projectile. A gun that DOESN'T fire a projectile is considered broken and usually discarded or repaired to a state that allows it to perform its intended function, right? That is because you can't do any of the aforementioned acts without it doing so. A functional weapon will do exactly what it is supposed to do regardless of your reason for having it.

THAT would determine the purpose of the gun, not whether you are out shooting skeet or defending yourself.

Right but here you are saying that because someone left their hammer where a 4 y/o could use it to smash a car window, that therefore hammers are for smashing car windows.

I'm the one telling you that hammers are for driving nails, and smashing a car window is a misuse of the hammer.

No, I'm claiming that just because you can use a hammer to break a window doesn't mean that is what it was intended to be used for. Yes, that would be a misuse of the hammer. The gun being used to shoot its owner isn't a misuse, its simply a case of an unintended target. The gun did EXACTLY what it was made to do, which was fire that projectile.

You know how you end this? Teach your kids that guns aren't toys. Or lock it in a safe if you're the paranoid type.

I can see that English is not your first language. Good by, bullseyelqcs :)

What would make you say that?

What you choose to do with the gun (or why you own it, to use your word: i.e. home defense, clay pigeons, collecting et. al) has absolutely nothing to do with what its purpose is. You have the gun because your crock pot isn't going to fire a projectile you might use to defend yourself.

What's so hard about that?

Back
Top Bottom