• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More Filtering Options for "New Posts"

COTO

Panthera Uncia
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
First off, I'd like to thank admin for maintaining a smooth and reliable board for political debate.

I typically look for threads to read/post in using "New posts", which provides 20 entries per page (a good number) of the most recent threads updated on the forum. However, since DP is such a high-volume forum, threads can drop off the first page in under 3 minutes, and off the first three pages in under 15 minutes. This severely limits the usefulness of the "New posts" feature for members like myself who check the board only 1-5 times a day.

Two features that would be greatly appreciated are:
  1. An expansion of the filtering options available in the "New posts" page that allows filtering by the same criteria as in the advanced "Search threads" feature. Specifically, the ability to filter out threads in certain forums, and/or created by certain members, and/or with certain title keywords. Also, the ability to remember settings is a must.

2. The ability to mark threads in the "New posts" page as "not interested" so that they don't appear in "New posts" again.
I ask because it would be extremely helpful and time saving to be able to click on "New posts" and, either by rule or manual exclusion, have it return the 20, 40, 60, etc. most recently active threads excluding all those I know I'm not interested in reading, which can make up between 50-95% of the threads in the list at any given time.

If there's a xenForo plugin that does this, it'd be heaven. :)

Thank you for your consideration.

I miss or maybe I'm just missing, the "my post" tabs that allowed me to go quickly to forums I had visited and posted on. I wish we had that back.

First off, I'd like to thank admin for maintaining a smooth and reliable board for political debate.

I typically look for threads to read/post in using "New posts", which provides 20 entries per page (a good number) of the most recent threads updated on the forum. However, since DP is such a high-volume forum, threads can drop off the first page in under 3 minutes, and off the first three pages in under 15 minutes. This severely limits the usefulness of the "New posts" feature for members like myself who check the board only 1-5 times a day.

Two features that would be greatly appreciated are:
  1. An expansion of the filtering options available in the "New posts" page that allows filtering by the same criteria as in the advanced "Search threads" feature. Specifically, the ability to filter out threads in certain forums, and/or created by certain members, and/or with certain title keywords. Also, the ability to remember settings is a must.

2. The ability to mark threads in the "New posts" page as "not interested" so that they don't appear in "New posts" again.
I ask because it would be extremely helpful and time saving to be able to click on "New posts" and, either by rule or manual exclusion, have it return the 20, 40, 60, etc. most recently active threads excluding all those I know I'm not interested in reading, which can make up between 50-95% of the threads in the list at any given time.

If there's a xenForo plugin that does this, it'd be heaven. :)

Thank you for your consideration.
Good ideas. I'll get this added to list to see if these are possible.

I miss or maybe I'm just missing, the "my post" tabs that allowed me to go quickly to forums I had visited and posted on. I wish we had that back.
That is part of the 'watched' feature. Each forum can be watched and each thread you participate in automatically gets watched unless to turn that option off.

To view them, click on Forums > Your threads, threads with your posts or watched Threads/Forums
Or from homepage, slightly scroll down and click on the arrow down beside Forums to find these options.

This is a partial fix:

If you go to the "advance search in posts" page: https://debatepolitics.com/search/?type=post and enter your name in "Posted By:", select "Order By: Date" and "Display results as threads", it will take you to a page such as

With the 20 threads you've most recently posted in. I believe that this search is dynamic, hence all you have to do is bookmark the search results page and it will return updated results each time you access it (admin can correct me if I'm wrong).

Unfortunately, though, this kind of search gives no indication whether a thread has been updated since you last read it.

ETA: ...or, you can just use the "watched" feature Schweddy is talking about. ;)

I noticed we have al ink for new posts but not new threads. That is not helpful when I want to look for a new thread, but start at the beginning instead of the end.

I noticed we have al ink for new posts but not new threads. That is not helpful when I want to look for a new thread, but start at the beginning instead of the end.
Watched forums should do this. Go to the forum you wish to watch and click on "watch" top right hand.

You're choice if you would like an email, alert or just show up under Forums > Watched Forums

It would be really helpful if in What's new or New Posts it showed the creation date of the thread instead of just the time of the latest response. On some breaking news, it's good to know if a headline was from a week ago or an hour ago.

It would be really helpful if in What's new or New Posts it showed the creation date of the thread instead of just the time of the latest response. On some breaking news, it's good to know if a headline was from a week ago or an hour ago.
New Threads will show the date/time of creation and New Posts will show the date/time of the post. They system won't show both for New Posts. It's working as it's designed to work.

Back
Top Bottom