• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More corporate sleaze catering to the black urban market

You saw it too. It goes right along with just about every other commercial where whites and blacks are involved. White = failure, loser, antagonist. Black = Successful, Winner, Protagonist. This is pretty much the boiled down formula.

Ahh, I see!

So even though the employer, and several applicants and white collar workers were white, the fact that it displayed one white person with a low wage service job means that it was racist.

Nevermind that it sent the message that people of any race can benefit from university nepotism

Ahh, I see!

So even though the employer, and several applicants and white collar workers were white, the fact that it displayed one white person with a low wage service job means that it was racist.

Nevermind that it sent the message that people of any race can benefit from university nepotism
It isn't overt, but the urban marketing is there. Your defense of leftist bull**** is admirable, but it's ineffective.

It isn't overt, but the urban marketing is there. Your defense of leftist bull**** is admirable, but it's ineffective.

It would be better if you kept your right wing PC to yourself. It's a fail.

You are just plain being goofy.

It would be better if you kept your right wing PC to yourself. It's a fail.
There's no such thing. There IS such a thing, however, as left wing PC, and you and I both know THAT is the chief source of fail.

You saw it too. It goes right along with just about every other commercial where whites and blacks are involved. White = failure, loser, antagonist. Black = Successful, Winner, Protagonist. This is pretty much the boiled down formula.

Yes...

Except for the part where the white man still gets to decide whether the black man gets hired or not...

The only racism I see, is you being pissed the black man is getting ahead.

It isn't overt, but the urban marketing is there.

I wouldn't call it "urban" marketing.

I'd call it "racial" marketing, or probably better "minority" marketing.

And I think it's pretty overt.

But it's overt for good reason.

For-profit colleges rank at the top of all academic institutions awarding associate, bachelor's and master's degrees to minorities and the University of Phoenix is at the very top of that list.

Marketing dollars are at a premium for any business so the business needs to invest them where they'll have the greatest return (result in the highest number of sales).

If a business finds, over time, that it's largest market is young adult minorities, or new mothers, or white housewives, or wealthy Jewish executives, or Marine Lance Corporals, it's going to invest the lion's share of its marketing budget in targeting that particular audience.

I fail to see a problem.

I guess I'll play devil's advocate here. I wouldn't call it racist, I would say deliberate is a better word to describe what they're trying to do. They're trying to catch your eye, especially if you're the target audience, trying to elicit an emotional response, to show that you can overcome, that the sky is the limit these days. If they can get something out of you there's a better chance you will be motivated to make that call.

Nothing wrong with that its just marketing 101. They will do anything to try and get their hooks into you, that's their job.

What I saw was two people wearing bright red socks to a business meeting. Highly inappropriate dress. Berate them both mercilessly for the faux pas, and then fire 'em both anyway - even though one hadn't even been hired yet. We're playing hardball here.

The only thing I think when I first saw this ad was of.....the authenticity of the University of Phoenix.
How many people took out loans to get a degree with them and are unemployed or in low paying jobs saddled with loans?
The President fought for low interest loans ....but the education system need to be cleaned up.

My simple answer is ...the loans should never be awarded to kids to pursue dead-end prospects.
You can't place the burden entirely on the kids. At 19/20...kids have very little real life experiences to draw from. And without good parents to steer them ...they often get caught up these scams.

For a bank issuing loans, credible data on the institution is not hard to find.

But instead what do the banks do ....they partner with the schools to hand out these easy loans ....and then run to congress to enact laws preventing any-kind of bankruptcy filing to dis-charge these loans. And of-course ...republicans agree with this one-two con game becauseeeeeee.......all together now ..."personal responsibility!!

Thank you, Mr. Off-topic.

There actually is a trend out there where a commercial, with a black person and a white person, will show the black person as the smart, sophisticated, upstanding person and the white person is the bumbling comic relief. I just chalk it up to the fact that African-Americans have a bigger slice of the "disposable income" pie, and the fact that it's not a big deal to white people overall.

I just watched the commercial and I didn't notice the race of the person that was shining the shoes.

What does that make me?

Racist, no. Deliberate in stereotype role reversal, yes.

If it offends your delicate sensibilities, go down to City Hall and have a seat in the lobby, your world will be put right soon enough...

There actually is a trend out there where a commercial, with a black person and a white person, will show the black person as the smart, sophisticated, upstanding person and the white person is the bumbling comic relief. I just chalk it up to the fact that African-Americans have a bigger slice of the "disposable income" pie, and the fact that it's not a big deal to white people overall.

Anytime you have a degradation of anyone which is explicit or implicitly race revolved, people should have a problem with it.

Anytime you have a degradation of anyone which is explicit or implicitly race revolved, people should have a problem with it.

Well, first of all it's subtle, and second of all I don't consider it malicious. Take the USA show Psych. Two partners - black and white - and the black man is more adult (still goofy, just not as much) and presentable, while the white guy is all goofy slapstick. Tons of commercials have similar approaches. It's nothing that says "blacks are educated and intelligent, while white guys are fumbling idiots". I just think that it's a partial appeasement for the black community to have characters that are the "winner" of these televised scenarios. White people either don't care, or don't notice. I imagine that most of the people on this thread just never pay attention to it.

I see it, but just cannot be inclined to care.

Well, first of all it's subtle, and second of all I don't consider it malicious. Take the USA show Psych. Two partners - black and white - and the black man is more adult (still goofy, just not as much) and presentable, while the white guy is all goofy slapstick. Tons of commercials have similar approaches. It's nothing that says "blacks are educated and intelligent, while white guys are fumbling idiots". I just think that it's a partial appeasement for the black community to have characters that are the "winner" of these televised scenarios. White people either don't care, or don't notice. I imagine that most of the people on this thread just never pay attention to it.

I see it, but just cannot be inclined to care.

Subtle is what works. Straight man routines are all fine and well, but well let me give a comparison

The Cosby Show, Family Matters, and basically almost any show on UPN. Vs. Rosanne, Jersey Shore, Honey Boo Boo etc..

Educated, articulate, value based, well to do vs. poor, semi-illiterate, trash

See the difference? Not so subtle now, is it?

Subtle is what works. Straight man routines are all fine and well, but well let me give a comparison

The Cosby Show, Family Matters, and basically almost any show on UPN. Vs. Rosanne, Jersey Shore, Honey Boo Boo etc..

Don't forget Married With Children.

Having said that, there are shows that exemplify the opposite. Long ago they had that sitcom Roc - based on a black family where the father was a garbage man who dumpser-dove for much of the stuff they have in the house.

I think it's mostly a new phenomenon though.

Don't forget Married With Children.

Having said that, there are shows that exemplify the opposite. Long ago they had that sitcom Roc - based on a black family where the father was a garbage man who dumpser-dove for much of the stuff they have in the house.

I think it's mostly a new phenomenon though.

right but Roc was a value based show. Yes, good catch on the MWC, another prime example.

It is a methodic phenomenon. Part of the combat against "white privilege" nonsense. The degradation of one race while uplifting another in some asinine attempt to foster a mentality of equality. You don't bring one side down you just raise the other side up. Playing teeter-totter social engineering always, and I do mean always will leave the scales unbalanced.

Or shows like The Honeymooners and The Dick Van Dyke Show. Obviously, the producers were feminists long before the 60's!!!

And of course, the fact that blacks and native americans were rarely shown in positive light had nothing to do with racism.

And then there was Sanford & Son, a show designed to demonstrate the superiority of old black men.

Or shows like The Honeymooners and The Dick Van Dyke Show. Obviously, the producers were feminists long before the 60's!!!

And of course, the fact that blacks and native americans were rarely shown in positive light had nothing to do with racism.

And then there was Sanford & Son, a show designed to demonstrate the superiority of old black men.

Oh, good for the goose is good for the gander mentality, that's fantastic, fixes EVERYTHING...... ALWAYS.... :slapme:

Promote that slave morality all you want, as for me, I'll have no part...

Oh, good for the goose is good for the gander mentality, that's fantastic, fixes EVERYTHING...... ALWAYS.... :slapme:

Promote that slave morality all you want, as for me, I'll have no part...

Unsurprisingly, the right wings obsessive need to race-bait and self-victimize prevents some people from recognizing that the use of the "foolish male head of household" has been a part of the formulaic plotlines of TV series long before the civil rights and feminist movements of the '60's.

Back
Top Bottom