• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More Conservative Freakiness: Robertson Claims Gays Spread AIDs with Secret Rings

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
More evidence of the quantum weirdness and xenophobia that is conservative ideology as conservative leader and former GOP presidential hopeful Pat Robertson says something stupid again:

“You know what they do in San Francisco? Some in the gay community there, they want to get people. So if they got the stuff they’ll have a ring, you shake hands and the ring’s got a little thing where you cut your finger,” he said. “Really. It’s that kind of vicious stuff, which would be the equivalent of murder.”

Pat Robertson Suggests Gays With AIDS Wear Rings To Cut, Infect Others

Actually it is more evidence that Pat Robertson is just an idiot.

He did run for GOP nominee for president and got a lot of votes, and he is a conservative leader.

So, it means more than that. It means the conservatism is intellectually bankrupt -- not to mention, weird.

This brings me back to the days of....

8145354632_f8d706cdfe_o(1).jpg

Last edited:
You mean to say that AIDS cannot be transmitted simply by someone with the disease pricking you with a needle with none of your bodily fluid or blood being shared?

You're crazy, next you'll be saying that I can't impregnate women by sneaking into stores at night and jerking off on the women's tiolet seats.

You mean to say that AIDS cannot be transmitted simply by someone with the disease pricking you with a needle with none of your bodily fluid or blood being shared?

You're crazy, next you'll be saying that I can't impregnate women by sneaking into stores at night and jerking off on the women's tiolet seats.

It's tea party science at work. A whole new area of research.

..............:yt ...............

Anyone attempting to ascribe Pat Robertson's lunacy as indicative of conservatives in general is no better than Pat Robertson himself.

What year was that he dang near got nominated, or at least was in the conversation?

Anyone attempting to ascribe Pat Robertson's lunacy as indicative of conservatives in general is no better than Pat Robertson himself.

1988 and he beat Bush in Iowa.

Ah the No True Scotsman fallacy. It's the last bastion conservatives use to pretend to exclude the mutual weirdness they all share.

1988 and he beat Bush in Iowa.

But but but, he's not a real conservative and neither was Bush.

The No True Scotsman defense is the last refuge of conservatives having to deal with the weirdness that is conservatism.

What year was that he dang near got nominated, or at least was in the conversation?
It was for the '88 election.

He actually came across as rather sane - until he started opening his mouth. A real embarrassment to Christianity.

There's a reason it's called the 700 club. Only 700 people can stomach his wackiness.

Ah the No True Scotsman fallacy. It's the last bastion conservatives use to pretend to exclude the mutual weirdness they all share.

Rather appropriate for the reductio ad absurdum fallacy.

As far as I know my Mom watches him to this day. She thinks the 700 club praying for me (and taking her money) is what got me through the Marine Corps. Oh well, if it makes her feel better.
It was for the '88 election.

He actually came across as rather sane - until he started opening his mouth. A real embarrassment to Christianity.

There's a reason it's called the 700 club. Only 700 people can stomach his wackiness.

As far as I know my Mom watches him to this day. She thinks the 700 club praying for me (and taking her money) is what got me through the Marine Corps. Oh well, if it makes her feel better.
Hmmm. Sorry. Didn't mean to insult your mom.

I have problems with virtually every televangelist. Of all of them Pat seems to be the least... star-crazy. Unfortunately though he's proven himself crazy in every other way imaginably possible.

No problem, I did not really take it as an insult, I think exaclty the same about him. My Mom has plenty of money so it really dont hurt her, and I bet there are millions like her. You ought to see the emails she forwards me.
Hmmm. Sorry. Didn't mean to insult your mom.

I have problems with virtually every televangelist. Of all of them Pat seems to be the least... star-crazy. Unfortunately though he's proven himself crazy in every other way imaginably possible.

No problem, I did not really take it as an insult, I think exaclty the same about him. My Mom has plenty of money so it really dont hurt her, and I bet there are millions like her. You ought to see the emails she forwards me.
Your mom probably knows my aunt. :( God bless them both, but goodness...

My mom was actually getting a little taken in by some of these posers. Fortunately, she's a bit of a skeptic in general and listens to reason.

I remember way back when when there was this lady - Katheryn Kuhlman, I think was her name, - really zany... "I believe in miracles!!!" Just the way she said it was hilarious...

Meh. I grew up in a college town in an era of Jesus freeks and all manner of eastern religions. Took a long time to sort all of them out. :)

Rather appropriate for the reductio ad absurdum fallacy.

National Review disagrees with you. Next you'll say they aren't real conservatives either. It's how conservatives deal with the quantum weirdness of their ideas and leaders.

Byron York on Pat Robertson on National Review Online

There is some truth to that, but there is also some evidence to suggest that Robertson is not quite as marginalized a figure as conservatives would like to believe. His main forum, the television program The 700 Club, is available in nearly all of the country on the ABC Family Channel, FamilyNet, the Trinity Broadcasting Network, and some broadcast stations. According to Nielsen Media Research, The 700 Club, aired each weekday, has averaged 863,000 viewers in the last year. While that is not enough to call it a popular program, it is still a significant audience. It is, for example, more than the average primetime audience for CNN last month — 713,000 viewers — or MSNBC, which averaged 280,000 viewers in prime time. It is also greater than the viewership of CNBC and Headline News.

He did run for GOP nominee for president and got a lot of votes, and he is a conservative leader.

So, it means more than that. It means the conservatism is intellectually bankrupt -- not to mention, weird.

Pat Robertson is not really a leader in the political sense, except in his own mind. He's never succeeded in getting the GOP nom, and even those who follow him for religious reasons often find some of the things he says to be hard to defend.

It's not far from saying Westboro represents all Christians, or that Al Queda represents all Muslims. An excessively broad generalization, and an inaccurate one.

Pat Robertson is not really a leader in the political sense, except in his own mind. He's never succeeded in getting the GOP nom, and even those who follow him for religious reasons often find some of the things he says to be hard to defend.

It's not far from saying Westboro represents all Christians, or that Al Queda represents all Muslims. An excessively broad generalization, and an inaccurate one.

I don't think Robertson is a Christian at all, but rather a heretic, being part of the Christian Right market evangelist heresy.

Doesn't change the fact that he is a significant voice in the conservative movement, and even has a damn TV show watched by almost a million people a month, not to mention his funding of rightwing think tanks and other religious right loonies.

It's rather amusing to see conservatives constantly forced to deny that other conservatives are conservative after some conservative says something idiotic or offensive, since ultimately it appears all conservatives say idiotic and offensive things. They just say different idiotic and offensive things. And that's because of the intellectual bankruptcy of their ideology.

I have no doubt that some of the people that follow him are equally as stupid, however, there are parts of conservatism that are not intellectually bankrupt. There are a few posters on DP that are evidence of that.

That IS silly. They spread it the old fashioned way...with their 'normal' sexual contact.

I have no doubt that some of the people that follow him are equally as stupid, however, there are parts of conservatism that are not intellectually bankrupt. There are a few posters on DP that are evidence of that.

The tea party/religious right and its knownothingism now owns the conservative movement. There isn't a single conservative leader who isn't totally beholden to the philistinism and weirdness of the tea party or religious right. They really don't think anymore; they just repeat vapid rightwing memes about tax cuts and deregulation. Totally fact free rhetoric.

That IS silly. They spread it the old fashioned way...with their 'normal' sexual contact.

Yep, it's silly all right. Freakin' weird I'd say. And yet here is Robertson, a guy who is a major voice among conservatives and got millions of votes in the GOP presidential nomination process (even beating Bush in Iowa), and spends millions funding rightwing organizations, saying it.

Makes you think maybe the anti-science, anti-intellectualism of the tea party is spreading to infect the entire conservative movement, which always had these ugly strains.

More evidence of the quantum weirdness and xenophobia that is conservative ideology as conservative leader and former GOP presidential hopeful Pat Robertson says something stupid again:

National Review disagrees with you. Next you'll say they aren't real conservatives either. It's how conservatives deal with the quantum weirdness of their ideas and leaders.

Byron York on Pat Robertson on National Review Online

There is some truth to that, but there is also some evidence to suggest that Robertson is not quite as marginalized a figure as conservatives would like to believe. His main forum, the television program The 700 Club, is available in nearly all of the country on the ABC Family Channel, FamilyNet, the Trinity Broadcasting Network, and some broadcast stations. According to Nielsen Media Research, The 700 Club, aired each weekday, has averaged 863,000 viewers in the last year. While that is not enough to call it a popular program, it is still a significant audience. It is, for example, more than the average primetime audience for CNN last month — 713,000 viewers — or MSNBC, which averaged 280,000 viewers in prime time. It is also greater than the viewership of CNBC and Headline News.
:doh What is your problem anyway?

You start a thread based on another absurdity uttered by Robertson - CLEARLY for the purposes of ascribing his lunacy to all of conservativism in general - and by extension to all conservatives specifically. You pretend he speaks for all of us - and that on the weakest of bases possible. You give some viewership statistics that 3 times the number of people watch the 700 club as do MSNBC (which frankly *OUGHT* to be an indicator of just how truly kooky the progressive channel MSNBC is)... so what?

I point out the obvious absurdity of such logic and you throw - of ALL things - the No True Scotsman fallacy in my face. :doh :doh :doh

LOL. I suggest before you go any further with this ridiculously petty inanity, that you realize that all you're doing is opening the door and begging for someone to dredge up a similarly representative Progressive character, one with similar comedic and derisive qualities for scrutiny.

And trust me - there are a HOST of candidates that don't exactly throw a positive, rational light on progressivism either - kooks who may or may not reflect your own beliefs and ideology.

Is that what you really want?

Back
Top Bottom