• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More anti gun idiocy from Obama

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
My nephew is a gun smith. He sent me an email about this the other day.

This needs to be challenged in court. Its idiotic and is designed to harass lawful gun owners

BREAKING: Obama Signs New Gun Control Executive Order. Puts Gunsmiths Out of Business

So basically the government is going to have a nice, new confusing way to go after gunsmiths and small, niche part makers. It is likely that the increases expenses and complications of this process will simply force many of these professionals out of business.

This needs to be challenged in court. Its idiotic and is designed to harass lawful gun owners

BREAKING: Obama Signs New Gun Control Executive Order. Puts Gunsmiths Out of Business

So basically the government is going to have a nice, new confusing way to go after gunsmiths and small, niche part makers. It is likely that the increases expenses and complications of this process will simply force many of these professionals out of business.

The Administration says that requiring a government issued photo ID to vote is too much of an impediment to the right to vote for certain groups of low income individuals, but the loops, hoops, and hurdles iontained in this Executive Order are not an impediment to the rights of small gunsmiths, or people like me that have a small metal working machine shop, or our 2nd Amendment rights? I thought it was Congress that had the power to regulate interstate commerce, not the executive? This is, along with being more anti-gun hatred, another example of the Obama Administration circumventing the Congress as well as Article I and Article II, Section 3, of the US Constitution. January cannot come quickly enough.

The Administration says that requiring a government issued photo ID to vote is too much of an impediment to the right to vote for certain groups of low income individuals, but the loops, hoops, and hurdles iontained in this Executive Order are not an impediment to the rights of small gunsmiths, or people like me that have a small metal working machine shop, or our 2nd Amendment rights? I thought it was Congress that had the power to regulate interstate commerce, not the executive? This is, along with being more anti-gun hatred, another example of the Obama Administration circumventing the Congress as well as Article I and Article II, Section 3, of the US Constitution. January cannot come quickly enough.

So if I make something on my machine I might be subject to this horse crap if I sell it?

If you make something on your machine, you may be subject to this horse crap even if you just keep it for yourself to use.

Well I guess I better keep the attorney on speed dial.

Even the best scenario doesn't look good for those who earn their living as gun smiths.

Take a vacation for 6 months, prey the next president rescinds this EO, try to recover your life.

People keep saying that number of Obama's EOs are lower than previous presidents. The reality is what's in the EOs, such as this piece of crap.

Wouldn't the NRA's lawyers take this directly to SCOTUS?

Err. What's the chance that this is a spoof?

It's dated 7/29, a couple of days ago, and Google isn't listing any main stream media sources. You'd think the banhoids would be dancing in the streets.

So outside of screwing over gunsmiths, what is the problem this is supposed to solve??

Hmm. Might be real.

On Friday, July 22, just as members of his party were gathering in Philadelphia to coronate Hillary Clinton as their presidential nominee, the Obama Administration once again released a sweeping gun control measure by executive fiat. This time the bad news came via the U.S. State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), which is primarily responsible for administering the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) and its implementing rules, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). The upshot is that DDTC is labeling commercial gunsmiths as “manufacturers” for performing relatively simple work such as threading a barrel or fabricating a small custom part for an older firearm. Under the AECA, “manufacturers” are required to register with DDTC at significant expense or risk onerous criminal penalties.
https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...tration-releases-latest-executive-gun-control

"This time the bad news came"
The link is:

http: / /pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/Applicability%20of%20the%20ITAR%20Registration%20Requirement%20to%20Firearms%20Manufacturers%20(Publish).pdf

Inside address of the PDF.

United States Department of State
Bureau of Political Military Affairs
Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
Washington, D.C. 20520-0112

Disturbing. No idea that there was a federal government "Bureau of Political Military Affairs" under the umbrella of Department of State.

Tell me how a large and complex government is required to ensure liberty for the citizenry?

Here ya go: "This time the bad news came" Click the link, it should fetch the PDF.

i keep looking for without locating the Executive Order Number for this alleged XO. how about listing that Executive Order Number for us all to see

i keep looking for without locating the Executive Order Number for this alleged XO. how about listing that Executive Order Number for us all to see

I see no XO order number in the PDF file either. That'd have to go back to TurtleDude. Here's the web page of the link he posted:

By Reagan Wilson on July 29, 2016

President Obama has just signed a new executive order that will essentially put a majority of small gunsmiths and niche gun parts makers out of business. Essentially, the new regulations mean that small gunsmiths who fabricate or modify parts of any kind could be labeled as manufacturers under current ITAR regulations.

According to the NRA-ILA (who does a better job of explaining these changes than we ever could):

On Friday, July 22, just as members of his party were gathering in Philadelphia to coronate Hillary Clinton as their presidential nominee, the Obama Administration once again released a sweeping gun control measure by executive fiat. This time the bad news came via the U.S. State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), which is primarily responsible for administering the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) and its implementing rules, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). The upshot is that DDTC is labeling commercial gunsmiths as “manufacturers” for performing relatively simple work such as threading a barrel or fabricating a small custom part for an older firearm. Under the AECA, “manufactures” are required to register with DDTC at significant expense or risk onerous criminal penalties.

As with prior executive actions on guns, the administration released its dictate suddenly and without advance warning to or prior input from affected businesses, completely bypassing the normal formalities associated with a significant rulemaking. The guidance is also likely to result in more confusion than clarity and may significantly chill heretofore legal conduct associated with gunsmithing.

By way of background, the AECA and ITAR concern rules by which military materiel is exported from, and imported to, the United States. The so-called “defense articles” governed by the AECA/ITAR are compiled in what is known as the U.S. Munitions List and include some, but not all, firearms and ammunition, as well as their parts and components. Thus, for purposes of the regime, a spring or floorplate from the magazine of a controlled firearm is subject to the same regulatory framework as the firearm itself.

The AECA/ITAR require anybody who engages in the business of “manufacturing” a defense article to register with DDTC and pay a registration fee that for new applicants is currently $2,250 per year. These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article. Moreover, under ITAR, “only one occasion of manufacturing … a defense article” is necessary for a commercial entity to be considered “engaged in the business” and therefore subject to the regime’s requirements.

Adding to the confusion, the Gun Control Act of 1968 and its amendments (GCA) also regulate firearm manufacturing, importing, and exporting. Both of the laws also use the same or similar terms but apply them in different ways. Thus, what triggers the legal requirement for an entity to be registered as a “manufacturer” under the AECA/ITAR may or may not also bring that entity within the scope of the GCA, and vice versa.

DDTC’s new “guidance” only makes this situation worse by coming up with a confusing and counterintuitive list of activities that it considers “gunsmithing” versus “manufacturing” (despite the fact that it insists it relies on the “ordinary, contemporary, common meaning” of those terms).

Looking for corroborating sources, Google : https://www.google.com/search?q=obama+executive+order+gunsmith&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

First link of many leads to:
BREAKING: Obama Issues Executive Order That May Drive Gunsmiths Out of Business

July 28, 2016

President Obama has the ability to issue “executive orders” that direct the agencies controlled by the Office of the President to change the way they operate. Government agencies have a large amount of leeway when it comes to the interpretation of the law and how it applies to the American people, and these executive orders are intended to allow the president to specifically direct those agencies in whatever manner he sees fit.
Last Friday President Obama [URL="http://pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/Applicability%20of%20the%20ITAR%20Registration%20Requirement%20to%20Firearms%20Manufacturers%20%28Publish%29.pdf"]issued one such order
which changed the definition of a “manufacturer” under the ITAR treaty regulations, a change which now means anyone who so much as threads a barrel on a firearm needs to pay thousands more dollars in fees and is subject to further registration. From the NRA:

By way of background, the AECA and ITAR concern rules by which military materiel is exported from, and imported to, the United States. The so-called “defense articles” governed by the AECA/ITAR are compiled in what is known as the U.S. Munitions List and include some, but not all, firearms and ammunition, as well as their parts and components.

Thus, for purposes of the regime, a spring or floorplate from the magazine of a controlled firearm is subject to the same regulatory framework as the firearm itself.
The AECA/ITAR require anybody who engages in the business of “manufacturing” a defense article to register with DDTC and pay a registration fee that for new applicants is currently $2,250 per year. These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article.
Moreover, under ITAR, “only one occasion of manufacturing … a defense article” is necessary for a commercial entity to be considered “engaged in the business” and therefore subject to the regime’s requirements.

The link "issued one such order" => http://pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/...ement to Firearms Manufacturers (Publish).pdf

Which is the PDF file.

I see no XO order number in the PDF file either. That'd have to go back to TurtleDude. Here's the web page of the link he posted:

i see nothing wrong with that clarifying memorandum

it tells us that manufacturing is what it has always been: applying forces upon a device to cause it to do something which it could not do before that application/process

panties getting placed in a wad over a non-issue

The "NRA" link leads to:
Just in Time for His Party’s Convention, Obama Administration Releases Latest Executive Gun Control
https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...tration-releases-latest-executive-gun-control

On Friday, July 22, just as members of his party were gathering in Philadelphia to coronate Hillary Clinton as their presidential nominee, the Obama Administration once again released a sweeping gun control measure by executive fiat. This time the bad news came via the U.S. State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), which is primarily responsible for administering the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) and its implementing rules, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). The upshot is that DDTC is labeling commercial gunsmiths as “manufacturers” for performing relatively simple work such as threading a barrel or fabricating a small custom part for an older firearm. Under the AECA, “manufacturers” are required to register with DDTC at significant expense or risk onerous criminal penalties.

The "bad news" also leads to the same PDF file.

i see nothing wrong with that clarifying memorandum

it tells us that manufacturing is what it has always been: applying forces upon a device to cause it to do something which it could not do before that application/process

panties getting placed in a wad over a non-issue

Yeah, would seem so.

Not too bad through, First posted at 11:03 PM, and by 1:00 AM it was pretty well shot down.

But you'd figure that the "NRA-ILA Institute for Legislative Action" should know better, if that's who they really are.

I was at a gun shop/range yesterday. My nephew used to work there-he now runs a restoration business his late father started and has a gunsmithing business as well. He had called one of the other workers there and told the in-house gunsmith. That is where I was told about this. and that is what I found.

I was really happy I read through this and found you researching for a very credible source, and I learned about this XO number. Thank you for taking the time to research it and make a lesson out of this of how the Internet can be a big form of propaganda.

So much of a problem in our country currently is people hearing things from multiple sources and not being able to figure out what's real or not. And it's leading to so many people getting so angry from being misinformed. And they don't know which of their political leaders they should trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes indeed. And obama doesn't care, he's pandering and will be gone in 6 months.

Well I guess I better keep the attorney on speed dial.

I always do and recommend that to all my clients.

Hmm. Might be real.

"This time the bad news came"
The link is:

http: / /pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/Applicability%20of%20the%20ITAR%20Registration%20Requirement%20to%20Firearms%20Manufacturers%20(Publish).pdf

Inside address of the PDF.

Disturbing. No idea that there was a federal government "Bureau of Political Military Affairs" under the umbrella of Department of State.

Tell me how a large and complex government is required to ensure liberty for the citizenry?

They can't. There are scores of Federal entities, that do very little or nothing, collecting a paycheck off the taxpayers!

Is America Great...or what?

I was at a gun shop/range yesterday. My nephew used to work there-he now runs a restoration business his late father started and has a gunsmithing business as well. He had called one of the other workers there and told the in-house gunsmith. That is where I was told about this. and that is what I found.

I don't think anyone is faulting you on this TD.
If anyone i overreacting, I'd think it was the NRA-ILA Institute for Legislative Action, which called this an Obama EO, which it doesn't appear to be.

Back
Top Bottom