• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More 2nd. Amendment free zones

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn is partnering with Washington CeaseFire to launch a new program designed to help local businesses become “Gun Free Zones.” A Monday press conference to make the announcement is planned.

According to a press release, businesses will be able to opt into the program by visiting Washington Cease Fire - Home, signing the pledge to participate, and placing a “Gun Free Zone” decal in their window.
“We are here to support businesses that do not wish to have guns on their premises” McGinn said in the release. “The police department regularly enforces trespass laws when a visitor to a business violates that business’s rules. We will continue to do so, and I thank these businesses for standing up for the safety of their customers.”

Nice. Maybe we can get some business owners to voluntarily hang 1st and 4th amendment free zones signs, too!

http://www.king5.com/news/local/McG...-Seattle-Gun-Free-Zone-program-220128521.html

Private businesses SHOULD be able to do this if they want it. I don't agree with it, but they have every right to do so.

As much as I don't like the idea, so long as these are private businesses which are not doing public work, I really don't believe anything can/should be done about it.

NOW, I would suggest that the easiest way to deal with this is to simply have all those who believe in their second amendment rights stop doing business with these companies/shops. Don't make a big deal out of it, just stop going into the businesses. If/when you get asked why you've stopped frequenting them, politely tell people that it is because your second amendment rights are not being honored (rather than saying they're being abused/disregarded) and you no longer wish to support that company with your money.

Well sure, no question it's within your right, but abdicating rights is no way to protect rights.

All this begs the question, where are the statistics showing that people are carrying guns into these establishments often? Next what problem are they trying to solve here?

It will also be interesting to see if crime goes up in those buisness.
All this begs the question, where are the statistics showing that people are carrying guns into these establishments often? Next what problem are they trying to solve here?

I soooo want one of these stickers to put on the front door to the police station, but it is covered with cameras so I would get busted anyways.

They're not trying to fix a problem, they're making a political statement.

I actually had that come up with a sandwich shop I used to frequent here in Massachusetts. Their new GM put up the "no firearms allowed on these premises" sign the first day he took over. I'd been a regular there for about 3 years at the time, and just stopped going in, even when I wasn't carrying. I ran into the owner at a local minor league hockey game about two months later and he commented that he hadn't seen me. I informed him that his GM no longer wanted people like me (gun owners) in the shop. The owner rolled his eyes and shook his head, telling me that I wasn't the first to comment on it. They've since rescinded the policy, but I still rarely go over there.

Just wait till the free zone hands over their cash to an armed robber; I'm guessing the mayor won't press release that event and the media won't report on it either.

Just wait till the free zone hands over their cash to an armed robber; I'm guessing the mayor won't press release that event and the media won't report on it either.

I was thinking the same thing. Would advertising 'Gun Free Zones' give impetus to the thieves looking for a safe place to rob? It's like those gun and drug free zones around schools and movie houses. We've seen what that has done.

It will also be interesting to see if crime goes up in those buisness.

I would be interesting to find if crime was high during the time guns were allowed.

yes I was talking about comparing with and without legal guns.
I would be interesting to find if crime was high during the time guns were allowed.

If I was providing a business with liability and theft insurance - I'd remove armed robbery from that which I insure. Why bother? They are making themselves out to be sitting ducks.

I was thinking the same thing. Would advertising 'Gun Free Zones' give impetus to the thieves looking for a safe place to rob? It's like those gun and drug free zones around schools and movie houses. We've seen what that has done.

Back
Top Bottom