• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Morals and Values??

I don't think a person who follows a recipe is necessarily a cook. A person becomes a cook when they understand cooking. Similarly, one is not moral simply by following some codified rules for behavior, but rather by understanding the nature of moral behavior, itself. Religion certainly plays a role in morality, since it is one of the socializing instruments through which much morality has been codified traditionally, but I think mrality works at an intuitive level as well.

Seems to me that in understanding ourselves, we can attempt to understand others and through our self understanding we can arrive at a sense of right and wrong if we are honest enough with ourselves and willing to extend empathy to others -- that old "golden rule" common to so many different cultures. Some might say that this innate sense of right and wrong that works at such an intuitive level is a sign of the Godliness in all of us, but even if one does not believe in God, I think folks should realize that morality is universal at its core. My theory is that if there were some way to create little ven diagrams of the morality inherent in different world religions and place the diagrams all atop one another, those areas in which they all overlap would contain the essential stuff.

I have to agree that there is much Christian bashing here that serves little purpose other than to show the extreme limits of people's understanding. One doesn't read the N.T. for very long before encountering Jesus' teachings on morality -- issues such as hypocricy and fairness and compassion -- and just because some lodmouths who call themselves Christians ignore these teachings completely, that doesn't indicate that Christians as a whole do so. It's a big religion and practiced by over a billion people. People have varying ways in which they practice the religion and just lke any belief system, it can be misunderstood, manipulated, subverted, treated literally, treated figuritively, used to help or used to hurt. When people use it for the latter, that is indicative of the person and not the religion. Heck, just Who do you think warned people to beware of wolves in sheep's clothing a couple of millenium ago?

There is a tremendous amount of good stuff in the bible. If people wish to find love and compassion and honesty and justice, its all there. About the only real freedom we have in this world is our freedom to believe (and disbelieve), and so what people do beleieve is really up to them on a very personal level. If they find good stuff in their religion, or without religion, my concern has less to do with the religion or lack thereof, and more to do with the stuff they are finding.

i believe in tranquility said:
true we are servants but this doesnt mean that we need to destroy what God created for us.
I encounter that responce often.
The point is to place God as the focus, not the planet. By living according to God's instruction we also live "in tune" with the plannet.
The same just isn't true when the plannet is placed as the focus.

Gardener said:
I don't think a person who follows a recipe is necessarily a cook. A person becomes a cook when they understand cooking. Similarly, one is not moral simply by following some codified rules for behavior, but rather by understanding the nature of moral behavior, itself. Religion certainly plays a role in morality, since it is one of the socializing instruments through which much morality has been codified traditionally, but I think mrality works at an intuitive level as well.

Seems to me that in understanding ourselves, we can attempt to understand others and through our self understanding we can arrive at a sense of right and wrong if we are honest enough with ourselves and willing to extend empathy to others -- that old "golden rule" common to so many different cultures. Some might say that this innate sense of right and wrong that works at such an intuitive level is a sign of the Godliness in all of us, but even if one does not believe in God, I think folks should realize that morality is universal at its core. My theory is that if there were some way to create little ven diagrams of the morality inherent in different world religions and place the diagrams all atop one another, those areas in which they all overlap would contain the essential stuff.

I have to agree that there is much Christian bashing here that serves little purpose other than to show the extreme limits of people's understanding. One doesn't read the N.T. for very long before encountering Jesus' teachings on morality -- issues such as hypocricy and fairness and compassion -- and just because some lodmouths who call themselves Christians ignore these teachings completely, that doesn't indicate that Christians as a whole do so. It's a big religion and practiced by over a billion people. People have varying ways in which they practice the religion and just lke any belief system, it can be misunderstood, manipulated, subverted, treated literally, treated figuritively, used to help or used to hurt. When people use it for the latter, that is indicative of the person and not the religion. Heck, just Who do you think warned people to beware of wolves in sheep's clothing a couple of millenium ago?

There is a tremendous amount of good stuff in the bible. If people wish to find love and compassion and honesty and justice, its all there. About the only real freedom we have in this world is our freedom to believe (and disbelieve), and so what people do beleieve is really up to them on a very personal level. If they find good stuff in their religion, or without religion, my concern has less to do with the religion or lack thereof, and more to do with the stuff they are finding.
:applaud Well said! :sword:

To whom it may concern; God is neither male or female, God is a Spirit, God can take anyform desired.

Morals and values is not all that gets one eternity with God. It is believing and living in God, and the Son of God is the Key you would need to enter this eternity.

You can have the purist of morals and values, but without the Spirit of God in your life, you can not enter the Kingdom.

Except it or not, it is your choice.

Last edited:
Gardener said:
I have to agree that there is much Christian bashing here that serves little purpose other than to show the extreme limits of people's understanding.

Well I just want to point out that not believing in Christianity and giving reasons for your disbelief should not count as Christian bashing.

There is a tremendous amount of good stuff in the bible. If people wish to find love and compassion and honesty and justice, its all there.

Yeah there is also alot of genocide, murder, blood, gore, jealousy, punishment, total lack of compassion, favortism, and brutality.

talloulou: you fail to note Jesus, who disagreed with everything you just stated.

talloulou said:
Yeah there is also alot of genocide, murder, blood, gore, jealousy, punishment, total lack of compassion, favortism, and brutality.
Yes.....and......

torch said:
On fox news during the 2004 election they blared how the christians were "people of morals and values" I dont understand what is moral or values about believing in an invisible man who (only if you obey him) will send you to heaven if not you die in hell...how is that a moral...Morals and values are things to me like honesty, wisdom, courage and UNDERSTANDING (things christian right wingers have NONE of) So any christians out there can you please explain to me what your values and morals aren't because believing in jesus, going to chruch and screaming every chance you get to say "I am a christian" that doesnt make you moral and have values to me so can you explain your morals and values without the use of jesus, god, and christianity??

I define morality as this : If you cause by your actions a mistake to be made that leads to an accident you have made a moral mistake if you knew better.Religious people are considered to make less mistakes than others .

Examples 1# If you let your teenage daughter walk home though alleys in the dark and she is raped or murdered or both ,you made an immoral mistake and an accident occurred .

Example 2# If you put your family in a car and there is a wreck resulting in a death of a family member ,you made an immoral mistake and an accident occurred

Example 3#If you voted for bush because he was the lesser of the two evils ,you made a mistake that turned into a terrible accident . { that little demon growed up to be a full scale ,snot blowing ,fire breathing ,people eating DEVIL !!!!!}:roll:

Religion and morals/values are meshed together in the bible, but it is cleary possible to live by a good set of morals and not be religious. Christianity teaches that unbelief in itself is immoral, when actually unbelief in a religion has little to do with morality. Faith in a God is not a measurement stick for a person's morals.

Comrade Brian said:
Why do you think Christains always say "God the Father" or call him the "Father"?

at the time of the bibles writing, men were the head of the household, and ruled society.

if we're supposed to be children, it makes sense to call God "father", rather than "mother".

Back
Top Bottom