• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Months of torture-like conditions made Butina plead guilty to get home sooner – Lavrov

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.rt.com/news/446462-butina-torture-lavrov-months/

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has explained why he thinks gun activist Maria Butina, jailed in the US, has made a deal with prosecutors: she wants to escape the torture-like conditions she is being kept in.

Speaking to the media in the Azerbaijani capital Baku, Lavrov said US prosecutors were deliberately trying to break Butina.

“I can understand that woman, she is being kept in the harshest conditions, for many many months now she has been subjected to a kind of torture: they would make her go for walks at night, forcibly interrupting her sleep, place her in single confinement, and many other things,” Lavrov said.
==========================================
Kremlin spin on Maria Butina's situation. I'll admit that solitary confinement for months is a bit harsh. But she was given 3 hots & a cot. No thumb screws, no ice water immersions, no water boarding. And she didn't have to reimburse the Feds for her rent or dry cleaning!

Her biggest worry is the reception she will get when she gets deported back to Moscow.

Sorry Lav...she is getting due process here which is more than she would get there.

There, she would not even be poisoned. A simple shot to the back of the head would be her fate.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has explained why he thinks gun activist Maria Butina, jailed in the US, has made a deal with prosecutors: she wants to escape the torture-like conditions she is being kept in.

Speaking to the media in the Azerbaijani capital Baku, Lavrov said US prosecutors were deliberately trying to break Butina.

“I can understand that woman, she is being kept in the harshest conditions, for many many months now she has been subjected to a kind of torture: they would make her go for walks at night, forcibly interrupting her sleep, place her in single confinement, and many other things,” Lavrov said.
Kremlin spin on Maria Butina's situation. I'll admit that solitary confinement for months is a bit harsh. But she was given 3 hots & a cot. No thumb screws, no ice water immersions, no water boarding. And she didn't have to reimburse the Feds for her rent or dry cleaning!

Her biggest worry is the reception she will get when she gets deported back to Moscow.

Our so-called justice system has long specialized in bludgeoning marks into submission, which is the opposite of justice.

Sorry Lav...she is getting due process here which is more than she would get there.

There, she would not even be poisoned. A simple shot to the back of the head would be her fate.

"We could be worse" does not justify the injustice that America pursues.

They'll probably just register her as an official Russian agent and let her come back to the USA and do the same thing. It'd be legal if she's registered.
/

They'll probably just register her as an official Russian agent and let her come back to the USA and do the same thing. It'd be legal if she's registered.
/

But now she lacks the basic element of a successful agent: anonymity. She now might as well appear as a contestant on Jeopardy & let Alex Trebek quiz her on how things are in the secret agent business.

But now she lacks the basic element of a successful agent: anonymity. She now might as well appear as a contestant on Jeopardy & let Alex Trebek quiz her on how things are in the secret agent business.

Agent and spy not the same thing. Russian accented English is a pretty big giveaway from the get go.
/

i was wondering about this the other day. if she gets deported now, she might be killed. i know that she's a spy sent to infiltrate the former Republican party, but it might be better just to give her the option to stay here after she gets out of jail.

"We could be worse" does not justify the injustice that America pursues.

Oh there is plenty of injustice going around, particularly from the Right. That is not justification for having thrown away any semblance of patriotism or any sense for the aspirational Constitutional Republic the Founders left us. Since the Right simply does not understand it or like how it is playing out they wave an American flag while having traded in their skivvies for a a pair of boxers in white/blue/red solid horizontal bar tricolor. The just don't care as long as they get to take their shot at getting the absurdly backward America they crave.

Enjoy it while you can Trumpets. That fantasy died on a Tuesday in November.

I certainly believe that solitary confinement CAN be torture, depending on the circumstances. When they get some outdoor time and have access to reading material then it is hard for me to view it as torture. But some types of solitary confinement don’t even have that and if you deprive the human brain of stimuli for months on end it can seriously mess you up mentally. I don’t know enough about the conditions this woman was kept in to judge whether or not it meets my criteria for torture.

Not to mention illegal.

More DOUBLE SPEAK from the left...Russia was "GREAT" until Hillary lost....

i was wondering about this the other day. if she gets deported now, she might be killed. i know that she's a spy sent to infiltrate the former Republican party, but it might be better just to give her the option to stay here after she gets out of jail.

Yes, she pleaded guilty and is talking to the prosecutors, so if she goes back, she may very well end up dead. Once she serves her time, she will be deported.

If she held out, there would be a chance she would be used in a swap for a US spy held in russia. However, she does not seem to rate high enough as a spy for that.

Oh the poor, poor thing. My heart bleeds for her.;)

More DOUBLE SPEAK from the left...Russia was "GREAT" until Hillary lost....

This is like me showing headlines from 1776 for why we should be enemies with the UK. Historical footage does not justify current practice. That debate is from 2008. In 2008 Russia was being considered for possible membership in the EU and even NATO. That was when Medvedev was running things and Putin was not yet the all-powerful autocrat he is now. Romney was talking like it was still 1977. Politics changes fast. Try to keep up.

Last edited:
Yes, she pleaded guilty and is talking to the prosecutors, so if she goes back, she may very well end up dead. Once she serves her time, she will be deported.

If she held out, there would be a chance she would be used in a swap for a US spy held in russia. However, she does not seem to rate high enough as a spy for that.

i'd say keep her here as a refugee even though she is a piece of **** Trumpist. she's a pawn.

i'd say keep her here as a refugee even though she is a piece of **** Trumpist. she's a pawn.

**** her. She chose to be a pawn.

But if we kept her, it might be a tweak to putin, so there is that

**** her. She chose to be a pawn.

But if we kept her, it might be a tweak to putin, so there is that

i don't know her backstory. however, i don't believe that the death penalty is appropriate.

i don't know her backstory. however, i don't believe that the death penalty is appropriate.

I cannot say that I do either, but I recently read a story that said she was not a serious intelligence asset. She wasnt GRU-traind or anything like that. More like someone who was a bit plugged in to the oligarchy through family ties who was asked to connect with people here.

I cannot say that I do either, but I recently read a story that said she was not a serious intelligence asset. She wasnt GRU-traind or anything like that. More like someone who was a bit plugged in to the oligarchy through family ties who was asked to connect with people here.

She's a spy, almost certainly. I don't support letting her die because she got caught.

She's a spy, almost certainly. I don't support letting her die because she got caught.

I have no doubt she is a spy. The article I read also mentioned a few russians who were arrested a number of years ago. They were not actively engaged in stealing any secrets. Russia had placed them here just in case some opportunity arose and they caught because some other spy got caught and had status reports from them. The article compared those spies with Butina, though it seems Butina was far more active than they were.

As far as executing her, I do not care what happens to her. However, executing her would lead to russian executing our spies when they catch them, so I do not support that. But I have no problem if Russia kills her should she return there.

Kremlin mouthpiece cries crocodile tears over Russian spy caught in U.S. - - yeah, right.
And in any case, I couldn't give a rat's ass.
I hope a few NRA folks get sent back to Russia along with her. Start with Wayne LaPierre.

I have no doubt she is a spy. The article I read also mentioned a few russians who were arrested a number of years ago. They were not actively engaged in stealing any secrets. Russia had placed them here just in case some opportunity arose and they caught because some other spy got caught and had status reports from them. The article compared those spies with Butina, though it seems Butina was far more active than they were.

As far as executing her, I do not care what happens to her. However, executing her would lead to russian executing our spies when they catch them, so I do not support that. But I have no problem if Russia kills her should she return there.

I could be wrong, but I don't think killing other nations' spies was ever on the menu, and almost certainly for the consequence you just wrote.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what right we'd have to keep her on American soil or what right she'd have to stay here after her sentence is served. She doesn't have dual citizenship, does she?

Well, I suppose she could defect. That's still a thing, I assume.

The brutal enemies of God do hateful things to their enemies. That was true of Hitler's henchmen and is true of American democrat mob enforcers in modern times.

The brutal enemies of God do hateful things to their enemies. That was true of Hitler's henchmen and is true of American democrat mob enforcers in modern times.

Um...why are you siding with a Russian spy?

Back
Top Bottom