• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Months of torture-like conditions made Butina plead guilty to get home sooner – Lavrov

I could be wrong, but I don't think killing other nations' spies was ever on the menu, and almost certainly for the consequence you just wrote.

Agreed
Anyway, I'm not really sure what right we'd have to keep her on American soil or what right she'd have to stay here after her sentence is served. She doesn't have dual citizenship, does she?

There is nothing stopping her from applying for permanent residency, and if she were to give us useful info, it could be granted. However, my understanding, based on the article I read, is that she would not have much useful info. She has not been trained, so she cant tell us much about the current state of russian spycraft

I have no doubt she is a spy. The article I read also mentioned a few russians who were arrested a number of years ago. They were not actively engaged in stealing any secrets. Russia had placed them here just in case some opportunity arose and they caught because some other spy got caught and had status reports from them. The article compared those spies with Butina, though it seems Butina was far more active than they were.

As far as executing her, I do not care what happens to her. However, executing her would lead to russian executing our spies when they catch them, so I do not support that. But I have no problem if Russia kills her should she return there.

I'm not big on returning anyone to the Russians to be murdered. However, I've stated my case, so we'll leave it at that.

Um...why are you siding with a Russian spy?

I like Russians. I like Americans. I like blacks. I like whites. I am sorry for anyone who is brutally persecuted for offending ungodly savages with the power to inflict hateful harm on them for unjust reasons.

https://www.rt.com/news/446462-butina-torture-lavrov-months/

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has explained why he thinks gun activist Maria Butina, jailed in the US, has made a deal with prosecutors: she wants to escape the torture-like conditions she is being kept in.

Speaking to the media in the Azerbaijani capital Baku, Lavrov said US prosecutors were deliberately trying to break Butina.

“I can understand that woman, she is being kept in the harshest conditions, for many many months now she has been subjected to a kind of torture: they would make her go for walks at night, forcibly interrupting her sleep, place her in single confinement, and many other things,” Lavrov said.
==========================================
Kremlin spin on Maria Butina's situation. I'll admit that solitary confinement for months is a bit harsh. But she was given 3 hots & a cot. No thumb screws, no ice water immersions, no water boarding. And she didn't have to reimburse the Feds for her rent or dry cleaning!

Her biggest worry is the reception she will get when she gets deported back to Moscow.

Red:
Really?

Blue:
....At the very least....

https://www.rt.com/news/446462-butina-torture-lavrov-months/

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has explained why he thinks gun activist Maria Butina, jailed in the US, has made a deal with prosecutors: she wants to escape the torture-like conditions she is being kept in.

Speaking to the media in the Azerbaijani capital Baku, Lavrov said US prosecutors were deliberately trying to break Butina.

“I can understand that woman, she is being kept in the harshest conditions, for many many months now she has been subjected to a kind of torture: they would make her go for walks at night, forcibly interrupting her sleep, place her in single confinement, and many other things,” Lavrov said.
==========================================
Kremlin spin on Maria Butina's situation. I'll admit that solitary confinement for months is a bit harsh. But she was given 3 hots & a cot. No thumb screws, no ice water immersions, no water boarding. And she didn't have to reimburse the Feds for her rent or dry cleaning!

Her biggest worry is the reception she will get when she gets deported back to Moscow.

I do not think you would want her put in the general population as it would not be safe for her. I think the old saying about making your bed and having to lay in it comes to mind. TO keep her safe she has o be kept separate. We also do not want her passing messages to her Russian handlers.

Back
Top Bottom