• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock drops out of 2020 race, no Senate run expected

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Montana Gov. Steve Bullock drops out of 2020 race, no Senate run expected | Fox News

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock on Monday announced he was suspending his campaign for president and made clear he has no plans to run for U.S. Senate.

The 53-year-old Democrat, who has served as governor since 2013, said it has become clear he won't have a shot at the party's nomination to beat President Trump in the 2020 presidential race.

“While there were many obstacles we could not have anticipated when entering this race, it has become clear that in this moment, I won’t be able to break through to the top tier of this still-crowded field of candidates,” Bullock said in a statement.

The campaign of the two-term governor, who is also former state attorney general, got a late start, as Bullock only announced his candidacy in May, trailing along dozens of other Democratic candidates vying for the nomination. He tried to make the case that he was the best option to beat Trump because he was the only Democratic candidate to win in a state that Trump won in 2016.

Bullock struggled to raise money and register in the polls, managing to meet qualification thresholds for only one Democratic National Committee debate in July. He said he was running for president to win back places Democrats have lost and end the influence of “dark money” in politics — concerns, he said, that have not changed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was he even running? Another one bites the dust I guess. How many are still left?

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock drops out of 2020 race, no Senate run expected | Fox News

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock on Monday announced he was suspending his campaign for president and made clear he has no plans to run for U.S. Senate.

The 53-year-old Democrat, who has served as governor since 2013, said it has become clear he won't have a shot at the party's nomination to beat President Trump in the 2020 presidential race.

“While there were many obstacles we could not have anticipated when entering this race, it has become clear that in this moment, I won’t be able to break through to the top tier of this still-crowded field of candidates,” Bullock said in a statement.

The campaign of the two-term governor, who is also former state attorney general, got a late start, as Bullock only announced his candidacy in May, trailing along dozens of other Democratic candidates vying for the nomination. He tried to make the case that he was the best option to beat Trump because he was the only Democratic candidate to win in a state that Trump won in 2016.

Bullock struggled to raise money and register in the polls, managing to meet qualification thresholds for only one Democratic National Committee debate in July. He said he was running for president to win back places Democrats have lost and end the influence of “dark money” in politics — concerns, he said, that have not changed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was he even running? Another one bites the dust I guess. How many are still left?

Too many. But its a shame that he never got any traction to make it into more debates. I think that he brought a much needed insight into how to run in rural, red states that the Democrats need to embrace (to a certain extent) to broaden their appeal to middle of the road voters

He was still in the race this whole time?

I had to check to see if he was really a candidate for President in 2020.

That’s a shame.

I think he and Jay Enslee would have made good Presidents.

Back
Top Bottom