• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Montana federal prosecutor warns of dangers of pot legalization ahead of vote

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Montana’s top federal prosecutor is urging voters to tread carefully before voting to legalize recreational marijuana, taking the unusual step of jumping into a political debate about a ballot initiative in the weeks before the election.

In an op-ed published in several newspapers in recent days and posted on the Justice Department’s website on Monday, U.S. Attorney Kurt Alme told voters they should “review in detail” a pair of ballot initiatives that would legalize cannabis for adults ages 21 and older, warning that marijuana is addictive, could lead to more traffic accidents and could even “increase the risk of severe complications from COVID-19.”

Smoking, whether marijuana or tobacco, could increase risk of severe COVID-19 due to potential for lung inflammation.
============================================================
I quit smoking pot with no effort as it was simply getting too potent for me to be able to relax & enjoy the trip. So I would not consider it to be addictive in the same way opioids are. It can lead to an incrase in traffic accidents. I agree with him on that point. But he cites nothing to back up his Covid-19 claims.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Montana’s top federal prosecutor is urging voters to tread carefully before voting to legalize recreational marijuana, taking the unusual step of jumping into a political debate about a ballot initiative in the weeks before the election.

In an op-ed published in several newspapers in recent days and posted on the Justice Department’s website on Monday, U.S. Attorney Kurt Alme told voters they should “review in detail” a pair of ballot initiatives that would legalize cannabis for adults ages 21 and older, warning that marijuana is addictive, could lead to more traffic accidents and could even “increase the risk of severe complications from COVID-19.”

Smoking, whether marijuana or tobacco, could increase risk of severe COVID-19 due to potential for lung inflammation.
I quit smoking pot with no effort as it was simply getting too potent for me to be able to relax & enjoy the trip. So I would not consider it to be addictive in the same way opioids are. It can lead to an incrase in traffic accidents. I agree with him on that point. But he cites nothing to back up his Covid-19 claims.
Oh good grief...none of the other states have sank into darkness...legalize the crap...you would think that the supposed freedom Republicans would be all for it....and not to mention the tremendous windfall from the profits in taxes....Colorado is literally swimming in tax money from it....

Oh good grief...none of the other states have sank into darkness...legalize the crap...you would think that the supposed freedom Republicans would be all for it....and not to mention the tremendous windfall from the profits in taxes....Colorado is literally swimming in tax money from it....
The Feds should legalize it so that dispensaries can use commercial banking & credit cards instead of dealing with bales of cash. That only invites crime & violence.

I have seen the devastating effects of the Mary wanna on communities and it’s just horrible. Mary Wanna addicts living in the alleys and committing unspeakable crimes.

I remember one incident when a Mary Wanna addict savagely attacked this innocent bag of Doritos. It was horrible, as he looked up from the shredded and torn bag with red stained hands he said, nacho cheese.. That’s when I decided I could never support the Mary Wanna..

😜

I have seen the devastating effects of the Mary wanna on communities and it’s just horrible. Mary Wanna addicts living in the alleys and committing unspeakable crimes.

I remember one incident when a Mary Wanna addict savagely attacked this innocent bag of Doritos. It was horrible, as he looked up from the shredded and torn bag with red stained hands he said, nacho cheese.. That’s when I decided I could never support the Mary Wanna..

😜
Munchies are not illegal.

The Feds should legalize it so that dispensaries can use commercial banking & credit cards instead of dealing with bales of cash. That only invites crime & violence.
agreed and then they can tax and regulate it as well. One good thing that has came from this...crap chemicals aren't added to marijuana anymore....

😜
omg that was hilarious...that being said...I absolutely abhor the smell of marijuana....it smells awful.

omg that was hilarious...that being said...I absolutely abhor the smell of marijuana....it smells awful.

i agree about the smell hence, edibles..

i agree about the smell hence, edibles..
Yeah, I had one unforgettable encounter with edibles...I am not sure I ever want to go back down that wabbithole again.... 5 of them...boy was that dumb...made me gun shy for sure...and I haven't tried since...because it is a miracle I found my way to the bed and made it into the bed.

The general acceptance on Covid is that it is more likely to cause death if you already have some other serious illness including respiratory problems. Smoke in the lungs is not good for the lungs.

The general acceptance on Covid is that it is more likely to cause death if you already have some other serious illness including respiratory problems. Smoke in the lungs is not good for the lungs.
Smoke in lungs is not good for the lungs, but they also are not making cigarettes illegal nor are they making alcohol illegal....people are going to do what they are going to do..and keeping it from people that actually need it is not helping either.

Nor is obesity, high blood pressure and a long list of lifestyle induced risks. Playing the COVID card to argue against legalization is pathetic and desperate.

Private Prison Giant CoreCivic Manipulates Montana Into Renewing Its Contract
In November 2017, Gov. Steve Bullock convened a special legislative session to fix Montana’s $75 million budget deficit. The executive and legislative branches arrived in the capitol, allotting themselves five days to hash out whether to cut essential services and programs, raise revenues, or both. CoreCivic — which owns and operates the Crossroads Correction Center, the only for-profit prison in Montana — smelled blood in the water.
https://www.aclu.org/blog/smart-jus...-giant-corecivic-manipulates-montana-renewing

Something stinks in Montana. Keeping Blacks, Latinos, and learning disabled poor citizens in prison for small amounts of marijuana is big business in that state.

Private Prison Giant CoreCivic Manipulates Montana Into Renewing Its Contract
In November 2017, Gov. Steve Bullock convened a special legislative session to fix Montana’s $75 million budget deficit. The executive and legislative branches arrived in the capitol, allotting themselves five days to hash out whether to cut essential services and programs, raise revenues, or both. CoreCivic — which owns and operates the Crossroads Correction Center, the only for-profit prison in Montana — smelled blood in the water.
https://www.aclu.org/blog/smart-jus...-giant-corecivic-manipulates-montana-renewing

Something stinks in Montana. Keeping Blacks, Latinos, and learning disabled poor citizens in prison for small amounts of marijuana is big business in that state.
private prisons should not be legal in the US...or anywhere for that matter. I think they are among the most evil...

People who frequently recreationally smoke weed are among some of the most unremarkable and insufferable people I've ever met.

It should be illegal on the grounds that "weed culture" is one of the most toxic and annoying inventions of the post-hippie era.

There is some thought that weed may actually help because of the anti inflammatory properties it has. Not that I recommend trying to get Covid to test that theory...

My PAX2 vaporizer arrived in the mail tonight. Another week or so before I get my MM card.

Went to the bank today & withdrew $100 in case the CanBuy app has a problem.

It is exciting to start smoking again. I stopped drinking so I need the weed to help keep me dry & to help with sleep.

We are poised to pass it in AZ this election. And the bill has several dates in which the rules must be in place, so that the legislature can't screw with the law.

My PAX2 vaporizer arrived in the mail tonight. Another week or so before I get my MM card.

Went to the bank today & withdrew $100 in case the CanBuy app has a problem.

It is exciting to start smoking again. I stopped drinking so I need the weed to help keep me dry & to help with sleep.

I got mine yesterday and gave it a trial run last night. Uses a little more weed than my magic flight, and toasted it all up, but I think its about equal in the amount used to my airvape. (The magic flight uses ridiculously little. I just wanted something with a smaller chamber that was more portable than the magic flight (no batteries to carry, along with the vaporizer).

I'm liking the Arizer EQ because you don't take the burning Cannabis directly into your lungs. It has a fan that blows air over the burning weed or concentrate & inflates a big plastic bag with the smoke. You get to inhale cool but potent smoke. And a full bag will get you very stoned.

Possibly because there is evidence it may not be: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200615/An-inverse-relationship-between-smoking-and-COVID-19.aspx

I'm liking the Arizer EQ because you don't take the burning Cannabis directly into your lungs. It has a fan that blows air over the burning weed or concentrate & inflates a big plastic bag with the smoke. You get to inhale cool but potent smoke. And a full bag will get you very stoned.

Just watched the video on it. I had assumed the bag would be more of a PITA, but it looks very simple. I hope you enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom