• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Monsters(2010)

Gray_Fox_86

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

Writer-director Gareth Edwards says the budget was more than the figure often quoted in online gossip - a paltry $15,000 - but not much more.

Our heroes are photojournalist Kaulder and Sam, Kaulder's boss's daughter. We meet them in Mexico some time after a NASA probe has returned from Jupiter's moon Europa . The mission was an outstanding success in that it discovered extraterrestrial life , but a disastrous failure in that it crashed upon re-entry and scattered alien spores over Central America. These then grew into giant roving cephalopod-like organisms, and colonised a large swathe of Mexico. This region has been declared a no-go infected zone.

But that was six years ago. No longer headline news, the alien presence on Earth has receded into the background and is "just one of those things". It's like, says Edwards, if Godzilla is the 9/11 of alien movies - a devastating shock invasion coming out of nowhere - he wanted to make the Afghanistan war of alien movies, something that the public has got used to. With the aliens on their doorstep, however, the US government is taking extreme and destructive action to try and secure its border.

Against this backdrop, Sam and Kaulder (Whitney Able and Scoot McNairy) have to cross the infected zone in order to return to the US.

Filmed guerrilla-style in six weeks with a cast of two and a crew of six, making use of people they met in Mexico and often improvising dialogue, the film blurs the line between documentary and feature film.

CultureLab: Monsters – the most realistic alien movie ever?

Go watch the movie. I highly recommend it over skyline.

I've seen it. My son and I thought it was very good.

I've seen it. My son and I thought it was very good.

It wasn't much of a monster film, heh? I was a bit upset that it was mostly about love. But it was not bad, just not the whole explosives and action that I was expecting.

It wasn't much of a monster film, heh? I was a bit upset that it was mostly about love. But it was not bad, just not the whole explosives and action that I was expecting.

Well, it wasn't quite what we were expecting either, from the title, but it was still quite good.

I think it is a good example of how to make very modest use of special effects but still create a very suspenseful story, through the use of atmosphere and characters, and indirect effects like seeing the destruction that the infestation has wrought. This is an art which has almost been lost in the age of CGI, and I enjoyed seeing a good example of it.

Also, as a sci-fi author once told me: "Regardless of aliens and technology and whatever else might be in it, all good stories are ultimately about people."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom