• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Monroe County shooting

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm not saying it is a good thing to get a gun and go shoot up a bunch of people because you're pissed off but this guy kind of has me wondering. A bunch of gov bureaucrats kicked him off his land and made him live in his car and he had to have his dogs put down because these ass holes decided his property wasn't being kept up to their standards. I have thought before that if I couldn't pay my taxes and the authorities came to throw me out, a lot of them would die before I did and in a way I can sympathize with this guy. Maybe these little pencil pushing snots had it coming huh?

Long-running dispute
Newell had been in a long-running dispute with township officials over the dilapidated condition of his property, state police Capt. Edward Hoke said. The township supervisors voted in February 2012 to take legal action against Newell for violating zoning and sewer regulations, according to meeting minutes posted online.
Last October, Newell set up a fundraising page online and was trying to raise $10,000 to pay for legal fees in his battle with the township.
“Ross township took me to court & the court ruled I have to vacate my home of 20 years,” he wrote on the page called saveRockyshome. “I live on SSI which comes to $600 a month I have no money to clean it up.”
Newell said his two rescue dogs “will be put to sleep because no one else will take them.”
The property includes an old camper in the front yard filled with wooden pallets, pieces of what appear to be old railroad ties and trash. A garage leans and appears close to collapse, and a propane tank sits inside an old dog house.
State police were searching the property in the 200 block of Newell Road and the road was closed.
'No right to kick me off my property'
In June, the Pocono Record wrote a story about what it said was an 18-year fight between the township and Newell over his property.
Monroe County Court in August 2012 sided with the township and ordered Newell to vacate and never again occupy or use the property unless he had the permits to do so. The report said Newell had been living out of a car, a 1984 Pontiac Fiero, and in abandoned buildings since being ordered to vacate.
Newell told the paper he was unemployed for years after an injury from a crash and had nowhere else to go.
“They have no right to kick me off my property,” he told the newspaper. “They call my property an eyesore. When I bought it, it was one of only three properties on the entire road that didn’t have what they call junk.”
Ross Township has about 5,500 residents. According to its website, the board of supervisors meets at 7 p.m. on the first Monday of each month. Monroe County feud over ramshackle property led to mass shooting that killed three, police say

| lehighvalleylive.com

I think it is disgusting that at least some-if not all-of those shot were not responsible for his problems

I'm not saying it is a good thing to get a gun and go shoot up a bunch of people because you're pissed off but this guy kind of has me wondering. A bunch of gov bureaucrats kicked him off his land and made him live in his car and he had to have his dogs put down because these ass holes decided his property wasn't being kept up to their standards. I have thought before that if I couldn't pay my taxes and the authorities came to throw me out, a lot of them would die before I did and in a way I can sympathize with this guy. Maybe these little pencil pushing snots had it coming huh?

Long-running dispute
Newell had been in a long-running dispute with township officials over the dilapidated condition of his property, state police Capt. Edward Hoke said. The township supervisors voted in February 2012 to take legal action against Newell for violating zoning and sewer regulations, according to meeting minutes posted online.
Last October, Newell set up a fundraising page online and was trying to raise $10,000 to pay for legal fees in his battle with the township.
“Ross township took me to court & the court ruled I have to vacate my home of 20 years,” he wrote on the page called saveRockyshome. “I live on SSI which comes to $600 a month I have no money to clean it up.”
Newell said his two rescue dogs “will be put to sleep because no one else will take them.”
The property includes an old camper in the front yard filled with wooden pallets, pieces of what appear to be old railroad ties and trash. A garage leans and appears close to collapse, and a propane tank sits inside an old dog house.
State police were searching the property in the 200 block of Newell Road and the road was closed.
'No right to kick me off my property'
In June, the Pocono Record wrote a story about what it said was an 18-year fight between the township and Newell over his property.
Monroe County Court in August 2012 sided with the township and ordered Newell to vacate and never again occupy or use the property unless he had the permits to do so. The report said Newell had been living out of a car, a 1984 Pontiac Fiero, and in abandoned buildings since being ordered to vacate.
Newell told the paper he was unemployed for years after an injury from a crash and had nowhere else to go.
“They have no right to kick me off my property,” he told the newspaper. “They call my property an eyesore. When I bought it, it was one of only three properties on the entire road that didn’t have what they call junk.”
Ross Township has about 5,500 residents. According to its website, the board of supervisors meets at 7 p.m. on the first Monday of each month. Monroe County feud over ramshackle property led to mass shooting that killed three, police say

| lehighvalleylive.com

This reminds me of a very sad story when I lived in Wisconsin. A Viet Nam vet had a farm -- I don't think paying for it was a problem -- but the town he lived in had a problem with all of the rescue dogs he had corraled on his property. They didn't run loose...didn't bother anyone. Over a two-year period, he spent tens of thousands of dollars fighting the town trying to keep his dogs. I'm guessing he had 40 or more kenneled. They were going to be put in animal shelters, probably destined to be killed. It wasn't zoned for that even though it was farm property.

One morning, after he'd exhausted all of his appeals, he killed every one of his dogs and then shot himself to death. I always wished I'd gotten involved. Very sad.

didn't it say one MIGHT have been a government official?

Maybe innocents were killed and that is a tragedy but in this guys state of mind everyone associated with the people that did this to him are culpable. In my tax scenario lets say I decided to go shoot the people that signed the papers that took my home from me. I can see how you could be in such a rage that them and anyone associated with them are legitimate targets.

Are you kidding me? This guys own fault he can't clean up his junk and he gets your sympathy for murdering innocent people who are just doing their jobs. Pencil pushing snobs had it coming? Would you like to have a neighbor violating multiple codes, which might put you at risk? Don't you think if he reached out to a local charity they would have helped clean up his mess? But no he was being stubborn and innocent people died because of his selfishness at not wanting to clean up.

Maybe innocents were killed and that is a tragedy but in this guys state of mind everyone associated with the people that did this to him are culpable. In my tax scenario lets say I decided to go shoot the people that signed the papers that took my home from me. I can see how you could be in such a rage that them and anyone associated with them are legitimate targets.

nah I think that's way too extreme. Don't find this guy all that sympathetic

Legitimate targets? Bull. Am not falling for this pity party.

He was crying that he was unable to work for what some 20 yrs. Not all jobs involve bucking bales of hay am certain there are some jobs he could have worked. First to get a job you have to make yourself look employable and not try to look like Rip Van Winkle. Whenever I see a kid with Down's syndrome cleaning tables at McDonalds it shows me no matter the personal hardship all can work at something.

Are you kidding me? This guys own fault he can't clean up his junk and he gets your sympathy for murdering innocent people who are just doing their jobs. Pencil pushing snobs had it coming? Would you like to have a neighbor violating multiple codes, which might put you at risk? Don't you think if he reached out to a local charity they would have helped clean up his mess? But no he was being stubborn and innocent people died because of his selfishness at not wanting to clean up.

It was his land and he had a right to live on it as he saw fit. His ramshackle buildings put nobody at risk but himself and these people that made him kill his dogs and live in his car get no sympathy from me.

Legitimate targets? Bull. Am not falling for this pity party.

He was crying that he was unable to work for what some 20 yrs. Not all jobs involve bucking bales of hay am certain there are some jobs he could have worked. First to get a job you have to make yourself look employable and not try to look like Rip Van Winkle. Whenever I see a kid with Down's syndrome cleaning tables at McDonalds it shows me no matter the personal hardship all can work at something.

You are missing the point. It was his land and he had a right to live his life on it however he wanted too. In a FREE country that is.:roll:

It was his land and he had a right to live on it as he saw fit. His ramshackle buildings put nobody at risk but himself and these people that made him kill his dogs and live in his car get no sympathy from me.
I have no sympathy for him. Living like a bum is not what you call a solid citizen.
Let say there is an empy lot next to your home, someone buys it. They move on to it living in nothing more than a shed and using a pail for their bathroom.
Their bedroom is some old beat down POS car.
Does wonders for the property value of your place.

I have no sympathy for him. Living like a bum is not what you call a solid citizen.
Let say there is an empy lot next to your home, someone buys it. They move on to it living in nothing more than a shed and using a pail for their bathroom.
Their bedroom is some old beat down POS car.
Does wonders for the property value of your place.

The way I understand it this guy was there when it was isolated rural property and then it grew up around him.

You are missing the point. It was his land and he had a right to live his life on it however he wanted too. In a FREE country that is.:roll:

Its not THAT free when you can live like that and be a hazard to others.

The way I understand it this guy was there when it was isolated rural property and then it grew up around him.

Things like that happen. I had a home with no one around for blocks down in Palm Bay Florida.
After about 12 years, I had people all over.
At that point, everything I was used to doing came under fire.
Building trucks in my driveway, someone had a problem with it. City came out and made a stink, so everything had to be done out back.
Car trailer on the side of the house, nope not any more. New neighbor from three lots over had an issue with it. Had to go out back behind a fence.
Of course the people across the street that moved in had washers and dryers in the yard, junk broke down cars in the yard and about 12 people living in a 3 bedroom house and no one dare say a word.

I think the guy had several acres so I don't see how that was a problem. Pig farms stack up pig poop which is basically the same as people poop.
Was he zoned as a farm?
I believe in property rights, trust me. But you have in code or you will definatly run into problems.

Was he zoned as a farm?
I believe in property rights, trust me. But you have in code or you will definatly run into problems.

I don't know every detail on this case. I do know a man was forced off his land, out of his house and into a car. You can only push somebody so hard until they snap. When they do snap and come after you with a gun don't expect my sympathy. The county could have dug the guy an outhouse and avoided this entire thing. I'm sure that would have been far less expensive than paying all the lawyers it took to evict him from his own property.

I don't know every detail on this case. I do know a man was forced off his land, out of his house and into a car. You can only push somebody so hard until they snap. When they do snap and come after you with a gun don't expect my sympathy. The county could have dug the guy an outhouse and avoided this entire thing. I'm sure that would have been far less expensive than paying all the lawyers it took to evict him from his own property.
Build him an outhouse?
Ok, whatever that cost. You just set the precedent for matching that cost to everyone in the area. Someone needs a fence? Hey you built Billy Bob an out house, build me a fence.
Need a well dug? Hey, you dug Homer a well. Dig me one too.
This guys problems from what I understand go back like almost 20 years. If he couldnt get his property in line in 20 years, there is a bigger issue.

The moron was keeping his own excrement stored on open buckets.

He received a permit to build a storage building and build a house instead.

This idiot is a poster child for oppressive taxes?

You might want to reevaluate his folk hero status.....

Build him an outhouse?
Ok, whatever that cost. You just set the precedent for matching that cost to everyone in the area. Someone needs a fence? Hey you built Billy Bob an out house, build me a fence.
This guys problems from what I understand go back like almost 20 years. If he couldnt get his property in line in 20 years, there is a bigger issue.

Yep. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Build him an outhouse?

It would have been more cost effective to work with this guy who obviously had issues.

The moron was keeping his own excrement stored on open buckets.

He received a permit to build a storage building and build a house instead.

This idiot is a poster child for oppressive taxes?

You might want to reevaluate his folk hero status.....[/QUOTE]

Not folk hero status but he is different from a guy that walks into a Mc Donalds and opens fire.

Back
Top Bottom