• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Monroe County shooting

It was his land and he had a right to live on it as he saw fit. His ramshackle buildings put nobody at risk but himself and these people that made him kill his dogs and live in his car get no sympathy from me.

Though I feel some sympathy for this part of the guy's story, what you say is just not true. You do not have a right to live on your property the way you see fit, because some of what you do definitely does affect others who live around you. Rats, fleas, chiggers, a whole host of diseases, not to mention fire danger and the lowering of the property values around you.

When he first bought the property he only had a couple neighbors. The time to relocate was 20 years ago when the folks started moving into the area and he was gaining neighbors. The time to sell was when he was permanently injured and knew he could no longer maintain the property. That he hung around knowing he couldn't take care of it is on him.

Though I feel some sympathy for this part of the guy's story, what you say is just not true. You do not have a right to live on your property the way you see fit, because some of what you do definitely does affect others who live around you. Rats, fleas, chiggers, a whole host of diseases, not to mention fire danger and the lowering of the property values around you.

When he first bought the property he only had a couple neighbors. The time to relocate was 20 years ago when the folks started moving into the area and he was gaining neighbors. The time to sell was when he was permanently injured and knew he could no longer maintain the property. That he hung around knowing he couldn't take care of it is on him.

Ever watch that show American Pickers? They scour the countryside for places like this guy had. As far as him relocating as the area grew I disagree, he was there first and if they didn't want to live next to him they shouldn't have built there. It reminds me of people who move here to Idaho and buy acerage up some logging road and then when somebody above them logs they get lawyers and try to stop it on the grounds that "people live here now, we can't have these log trucks going by all day" You know what I say to that? F*** em!!!!!!

There really isn't enough background information on the story. And governments have a history of harassing citizens and stealing their land... so it's hard to say.

I'm not saying it is a good thing to get a gun and go shoot up a bunch of people because you're pissed off but this guy kind of has me wondering. A bunch of gov bureaucrats kicked him off his land and made him live in his car and he had to have his dogs put down because these ass holes decided his property wasn't being kept up to their standards. I have thought before that if I couldn't pay my taxes and the authorities came to throw me out, a lot of them would die before I did and in a way I can sympathize with this guy. Maybe these little pencil pushing snots had it coming huh?

Long-running dispute
Newell had been in a long-running dispute with township officials over the dilapidated condition of his property, state police Capt. Edward Hoke said. The township supervisors voted in February 2012 to take legal action against Newell for violating zoning and sewer regulations, according to meeting minutes posted online.
Last October, Newell set up a fundraising page online and was trying to raise $10,000 to pay for legal fees in his battle with the township.
“Ross township took me to court & the court ruled I have to vacate my home of 20 years,” he wrote on the page called saveRockyshome. “I live on SSI which comes to $600 a month I have no money to clean it up.”
Newell said his two rescue dogs “will be put to sleep because no one else will take them.”
The property includes an old camper in the front yard filled with wooden pallets, pieces of what appear to be old railroad ties and trash. A garage leans and appears close to collapse, and a propane tank sits inside an old dog house.
State police were searching the property in the 200 block of Newell Road and the road was closed.
'No right to kick me off my property'
In June, the Pocono Record wrote a story about what it said was an 18-year fight between the township and Newell over his property.
Monroe County Court in August 2012 sided with the township and ordered Newell to vacate and never again occupy or use the property unless he had the permits to do so. The report said Newell had been living out of a car, a 1984 Pontiac Fiero, and in abandoned buildings since being ordered to vacate.
Newell told the paper he was unemployed for years after an injury from a crash and had nowhere else to go.
“They have no right to kick me off my property,” he told the newspaper. “They call my property an eyesore. When I bought it, it was one of only three properties on the entire road that didn’t have what they call junk.”
Ross Township has about 5,500 residents. According to its website, the board of supervisors meets at 7 p.m. on the first Monday of each month. Monroe County feud over ramshackle property led to mass shooting that killed three, police say

| lehighvalleylive.com

Ever watch that show American Pickers? They scour the countryside for places like this guy had. As far as him relocating as the area grew I disagree, he was there first and if they didn't want to live next to him they shouldn't have built there. It reminds me of people who move here to Idaho and buy acerage up some logging road and then when somebody above them logs they get lawyers and try to stop it on the grounds that "people live here now, we can't have these log trucks going by all day" You know what I say to that? F*** em!!!!!!

Heh, the I was here first argument doesn't work in reality. And it's not a matter of the "new" neighbors complaining, but a matter of the change of zoning laws to meet the new population density and use of the area's land. Same thing with the logging road and btw, once the people start moving in and the zoning changes it ceases to be a logging road.

I feel your pain, but have seen it happen throughout my life. My hometown had a population of 300 people and things were very rural - I loved that. Now the population is 10 times that and most of the places I roamed as a child have multiple structures on them and can't be roamed through. Used to be able to shoot in the woods, now you can't do that without putting others in danger.

Last edited:
Heh, the I was here first argument doesn't work in reality. And it's not a matter of the "new" neighbors complaining, but a matter of the change of zoning laws to meet the new population density and use of the area's land. Same thing with the logging road and btw, once the people start moving in and the zoning changes it ceases to be a logging road.
No, its about you are not allowed to live like an animal on your property.
He had a long time to work things out. I can only imagine the way the conversations went when the county would send people out to is property.
And you cant tell me you cant find a used trailer or camper to put on site in 18 YEARS.

Heh, the I was here first argument doesn't work in reality. And it's not a matter of the "new" neighbors complaining, but a matter of the change of zoning laws to meet the new population density and use of the area's land. Same thing with the logging road and btw, once the people start moving in and the zoning changes it ceases to be a logging road.[/QUOTE]

So the thousands of acres of timber land owned by state, fed and private party's that are on up the mountain becomes worthless huh. Your knowledge of this issue is not impressive. The fact remains that this man looney as he was had a right to live his life as he saw fit on his property and the county driving him off his land and into homelessness was to harsh a penalty. I don't blame him for opening fire on these ass holes. Legally he was in the wrong on both counts but as a freedom loving old fashioned American they had it comin IMO.

Civil society. It isnt about being judgemental as much as it is being a decent neighbor.

So to hell with that whole 'live and let live'.. people must be controlled so they fit in how 'we' want them to fit in.

Horrible path to go down.

So to hell with that whole 'live and let live'.. people must be controlled so they fit in how 'we' want them to fit in.

Horrible path to go down.
Mr. Bum had just as much duty to other peoples rights as they did to his. He showed no respect for his neighbors and what his actions were doing to their property values.

So the thousands of acres of timber land owned by state, fed and private party's that are on up the mountain becomes worthless huh. Your knowledge of this issue is not impressive. The fact remains that this man looney as he was had a right to live his life as he saw fit on his property and the county driving him off his land and into homelessness was to harsh a penalty. I don't blame him for opening fire on these ass holes. Legally he was in the wrong on both counts but as a freedom loving old fashioned American they had it comin IMO.

Huh? You're misreading what I posted because you want to disagree. I grew up in one of the oldest logging communities in California - it made the town work, supported us wholesale. Once the apartments and multi-unit folks get their zoning, the logging roads through that zoned area are paved and maintained as city/county roads and the logging trucks are no longer allowed.

And repeating that he had some right to live on his land "as he saw fit" doesn't make it any more true than the first time you said it. That has just never been true.

Mr. Bum had just as much duty to other peoples rights as they did to his. He showed no respect for his neighbors and what his actions were doing to their property values.

So we get down to what matters: It's all about the money. People must conform for reasons of the wealth of others. Again, the WRONG path to be headed down.

So we get down to what matters: It's all about the money. People must conform for reasons of the wealth of others. Again, the WRONG path to be headed down.

That's part of living where a bunch of other people want to live, the problem with being part of a community, and it's not just about money. As I mentioned there were a raft of other problems (vermin sanctuary, fire danger, etc.).

That's part of living where a bunch of other people want to live, the problem with being part of a community, and it's not just about money. As I mentioned there were a raft of other problems (vermin sanctuary, fire danger, etc.).

Yeah, someone has a home and land for 100 years, others move close in, start forcing regulations to make them live as the new people want. Again, WRONG PATH.

The only solution to fix this country is a massive reduction in the population, since most that would disappear would be morons.

Everything is about someones money.
But is it fair for Mr Bum to lower the property values of his neighbors?

Everything is about someones money.
But is it fair for Mr Bum to lower the property values of his neighbors?

Live and let live. Otherwise you are on that wrong path. Period.

Huh? You're misreading what I posted because you want to disagree. I grew up in one of the oldest logging communities in California - it made the town work, supported us wholesale. Once the apartments and multi-unit folks get their zoning, the logging roads through that zoned area are paved and maintained as city/county roads and the logging trucks are no longer allowed.

And repeating that he had some right to live on his land "as he saw fit" doesn't make it any more true than the first time you said it. That has just never been true.

Well if anyplace would shut down logging roads to log truck traffic it would be California. Around here these people always lose. I can't tell you how many jobs I have been on that some idiot tried to stop after he built his house along a road accessing many thousands of acres of timberland. What town in Calif did this happen?

Live and let live. Otherwise you are on that wrong path. Period.

So if I buy a property for 500K, then try to sell it and every prospective buyer says they like it. Except for the fact it smells like a sewer and crazy grand pa next door is dumping in five gallon pails.

Nobody has the right to mow down people because they are pissed off about problems of their own making. These people he murdered and maimed are not responsible for his problems. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Yeah, someone has a home and land for 100 years, others move close in, start forcing regulations to make them live as the new people want. Again, WRONG PATH.

The only solution to fix this country is a massive reduction in the population, since most that would disappear would be morons.

Perhaps, and perhaps it is the wrong path, however, it's the path we've chosen.

Well if anyplace would shut down logging roads to log truck traffic it would be California. Around here these people always lose. I can't tell you how many jobs I have been on that some idiot tried to stop after he built his house along a road accessing many thousands of acres of timberland. What town in Calif did this happen?

Pretty much every town up north where there was/is logging. Perhaps you're unclear as to what a logging road is, they aren't paved and don't have regular traffic outside of logging operations. "Log truck traffic" travels upon city/county roads all the time once they leave the logging roads.

Pretty much every town up north where there was/is logging. Perhaps you're unclear as to what a logging road is, they aren't paved and don't have regular traffic outside of logging operations. "Log truck traffic" travels upon city/county roads all the time once they leave the logging roads.

Logging roads were built to access timber land and when some yahoo buys 5 acres at the bottom of a logging road and then tries to stop logging trucks from using the road they never win, especially when the land accessed is state or fed. It sure doesn't stop them from trying though I guarantee you that.

Back
Top Bottom