• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Money, The Root of Our Evils?

Is Money the Root of All Evils?

• Yes

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Navagator95

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Money, or the Almighty Dollar as many call it, is the basis of your daily life. Money can do everything from get a soda at the corner gas station to changing our apperances (in more ways than one). People live around money, we use it to eat, dress, have fun, even keep people alive. But money is also something we can't get enough of, we fight & kill over it, steal it, copy it, and then some!
So, is this dollar the root of all things evil? Without money would our lives be any easier? Would we be happier if money was never even thought of? Personally I think the Barter Economy is a great idea, but that's just me. Let's hear what you think, but please, keep this peaceful!

I'm inclined to agree with Ayn Rand on this one: "Beware a man who tells you that money is evil. That phrase is the leper's bell of an approaching looter."

I'm curious as to why you would think that the barter economy is better than a money economy. You're still free to barter in today's economy if you want to, but the process is made much more efficient by the invention of little green pieces of paper.

Remember that eliminating money would not eliminate value. Things would still cost the same amount or more, but it would be harder to obtain them.

I don't think so

for time contraints I won't explain myself in detail, though I will say this.

Money is only a medium. People are whats wrong in this equation.

The correctly quoted line is, the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.
When you love it so much that you are willing to hurt others to get more of it, then that love is an evil thing for you.
Money itself cannot be evil.

You have a point, everyone everywhere is dependant on money all together.

All the problems within a money society existed within a bartering society. Money just makes the economy more efficient.

The love of money..

not really possible. Don't know too many people who sell all for money.

money is a medium, they want something else other than money, in order for money to be dangerous.

UtahBill said:
The correctly quoted line is, the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.
When you love it so much that you are willing to hurt others to get more of it, then that love is an evil thing for you.
Money itself cannot be evil.

I think love, rightly felt or understood, is not a productive force for evil. To love a thing, is also to know a thing, cherish a thing, honor a thing. (Loss of the loved thing, and love itself, can be used as the rationalization or justification for comitting evil, however, there is some other emotion at play as well, and that emotion is usually the driving force and blaming love is merely a facade.) Now many people are "in love" with what a thing APPEARS to be, but is not the whole or correct thing.

People, too often, "fall in love" with their ideas about a person (or thing), and not the actual person (or thing). When time is allowed for discoveries, people imagine "things have changed" (beyond their own incorrect prior notions), and it's not really true, all that has been changed was perception born out of not-love. Like Infatuation, lust, desire, greed, envy, etc.

Money can be gained it two primary ways: 1) mutually beneficial trade or 2) theft. Those who love money, and aquire it though mutually beneficial trade practices can not be rationally viewed as evil, as in order to aquire that money, that way, they have to confer benefit to other people, and often a great many people.

Furthermore, money is rarely desired in and of itself, but rather for the status it holds as medium of exchange to aquire other things.

To Love money, I think, is a good thing. It means one would not want to see it abused, over printed, stolen, copied, devalued, artifically valued, used to justify violence, etc.

The root of evil, is human.

Last edited:
If "Money were the root of all evils" Then we would all be evil.

Because:
We use money to buy a computer (Which is supporting a certain brand)
We use money to use an internet service (Which supports a certain branded service)
We use money click adds on websites (which supports the website and the websites add)
We would help support the website (Which supports our own ambitions)

Also to add "How would be a Holy way to spend money?" :confused: Seriously I'm stumped on this one? :mrgreen:

I would say humans are "the roots of our evils" for inventing money.

Comrade Brian said:
I would say humans are "the roots of our evils" for inventing money.
Have any sheep or cattle to trade? :2wave:

Also wouldn't you be indirectly accusing yourself of the same thing?

Yes, I am incriminating myself of being one of the roots of evil.:devil:

Last edited:
yes, human selfishness is the root of evil. Of course money is a representation of that selfishness.

Money, The Root of Our Evils?

No, people are the root of evil.
People don’t need money to perform evil deeds.
Just like they don’t need the devil as in “the devil or Satan made me do it.”
People all by themselves are more then capable of doing horrifying acts.

Navagator95 said:
Money, or the Almighty Dollar as many call it, is the basis of your daily life. Money can do everything from get a soda at the corner gas station to changing our apperances (in more ways than one). People live around money, we use it to eat, dress, have fun, even keep people alive. But money is also something we can't get enough of, we fight & kill over it, steal it, copy it, and then some!
So, is this dollar the root of all things evil? Without money would our lives be any easier? Would we be happier if money was never even thought of? Personally I think the Barter Economy is a great idea, but that's just me. Let's hear what you think, but please, keep this peaceful!

I disagree that money is the root evil.The root of evil is man's selfish/greedy desire.Thieves rob people becasue they are selfish.Some people cheat others because they are greedy.Businesses exploit illegal immigrints because they are greedy,Businesses move over seas to exploit people for cheaper labor because they are greedy.People speed above the speed limit because they only care about thier own selfish desires instead of the safety of others.People brutalize innocence because they are selfish and greedy fo the power they have.

If you got rid of money,then it would only be replaced with other things of value like gold, silver,animals, and other things of having value.

jamesrage said:
I disagree that money is the root evil.The root of evil is man's selfish/greedy desire.Thieves rob people becasue they are selfish.Some people cheat others because they are greedy.Businesses exploit illegal immigrints because they are greedy,Businesses move over seas to exploit people for cheaper labor because they are greedy.People speed above the speed limit because they only care about thier own selfish desires instead of the safety of others.People brutalize innocence because they are selfish and greedy fo the power they have.

If you got rid of money,then it would only be replaced with other things of value like gold, silver,animals, and other things of having value.

I agree, good points.

Money is by no means the root of all evil in my opinion. I think it's very possible to be a good person and yet still be rich. Although communists and marxists often like to say that money is the root of all evil just as a propaganda tool.

Comrade Brian said:
Yes, I am incriminating myself of being one of the roots of evil.:devil:
:rofl rofl!!! :mrgreen:

jamesrage said:

Selfishness is not wanting to share what you have, not taking what others have, which is theft and greed, certainly.

Businesses move overseas, because consumers are consuming. They may act in an unethical manner to provide that consumtion for consumers, but when all is said an done, ALL BUSINESSES ARE RESPONDING TO CONSUMER DEMANDS.

Gold, silver, animals, shaped rocks, wampum, beads those ARE/WERE money.

Money is not paper with a face on number on it. Money is money, regardless of the form.

The correct phrase is "The love of money is the root of all evil."

It has to do with greed and all that greed manifests into.

libertarian_knight said:
Selfishness is not wanting to share what you have,

Selfishness

1. Concerned chiefly or only with oneself: “Selfish men were... trying to make capital for themselves out of the sacred cause of human rights” (Maria Weston Chapman).
2. Arising from, characterized by, or showing selfishness: a selfish whim.

not taking what others have, which is theft and greed, certainly.

theft

n : the act of taking something from someone unlawfully

greed
An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves,

Businesses move overseas, because consumers are consuming. They may act in an unethical manner to provide that consumtion for consumers, but when all is said an done, ALL BUSINESSES ARE RESPONDING TO CONSUMER DEMANDS.

Businesses are moving overseas because our Government has allowed them to
be more greedy by explaoiuting over seas workers.

Gold, silver, animals, shaped rocks, wampum, beads those ARE/WERE money.

Money is not paper with a face on number on it. Money is money, regardless of the form.

You are correct.

Comrade Brian said:
I would say QUOTE]

Hi, camrad Trotsky! I thought you.... how I would say ... I was told somebody put an ice pick through your brain... But you are here! Long live Communism! Camrad Trotsky is leading us to victory!!!

George_Washington said:
Although communists and marxists often like to say that money is the root of all evil just as a propaganda tool.

Such as who?

justone said:
Comrade Brian said:
I would say QUOTE]

Hi, camrad Trotsky! I thought you.... how I would say ... I was told somebody put an ice pick through your brain... But you are here! Long live Communism! Camrad Trotsky is leading us to victory!!!

What the hell are you blabbering about?

Learn how to spell too.

But you are right, Trotsky was killed by an ice pick in his home.

Comrade Brian said:
justone said:
What the hell are you blabbering about?

Learn how to spell too.

But you are right, Trotsky was killed by an ice pick in his home.

No, in his brain, having one in your home is not fatal. Learn correct sentence structure!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom