• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Monday night ratings down, again

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative

The NFL continues to be America’s pastime, but fewer people are passing the time watching NFL games.

According to Austin Karp of SportsBusiness Daily, Monday night’s Eagles-Bears snooze-fest generated an overnight rating of 8.3. That’s an 11-percent drop from last year’s Week Two Monday night matchup between the Jets and the Colts, and it’s also the lowest Week Two Monday Night Football rating “since at least ’09, and likely further back.”

The league has now seen an apple-to-apples ratings drop in each of the seven prime-time games this year. Next week, it may not get any better, with the Texans facing a Tom Brady-free Patriots team, Brian Hoyer and the Bears facing Dak Prescott and the Cowboys, and a Falcons-Saints Monday night contest that goes up against the first presidential debate.

Typically, ratings expectations have been linked to the size of a fan base. With the numbers sagging in 2016, some have argued that the games lack star players, specifically at the quarterback position.
The red bolded is NBC trying desperately to makes excuses...There is only ONE reason ratings are down, and it's the anthem boycotts...

And the problem is NOT simply believing what players are doing is disrespectful or offensive...

Here's the problem...and it's even if you AGREE with the players...

Most people come home from a hard day's work, kiss the spouse, hug their kids and maybe help them with their homework, have a nice meal, and then settle down to some entertainment to ESCAPE from the politics, punditry and activism that's shoved down their throat on a daily basis... They don't WANT to have to think about this stuff...It means little to them and they just want to watch the damn game!!!!...:yes

There's a quote from Erick Erickson, who runs the website "redstate", about the what goes on culturally...

"The Left will not let you stay on the sidelines. You will be MADE to care."

...and that's what going on with these anthem boycotts....

You want to get AWAY from the "daily grind" and sit back with a beer and NOT have to form opinions and have discussions on subjects you care little about and wished weren't discussed so you can just enjoy the on-field action?

Well "F*ck you!! Were NOT going to let you do that!"...

And the public is responding to that by not bothering to watch...There are so many more options to "escape" from the "daily grind" that WON'T force people to "care", and that's exactly what's happening...and it won't stop until the NFL decides to end these ideology stunts...

The red bolded is NBC trying desperately to makes excuses...There is only ONE reason ratings are down, and it's the anthem boycotts...

And the problem is NOT simply believing what players are doing is disrespectful or offensive...

Most people come home from a hard day's work, kiss the spouse, hug their kids and maybe help them with their homework, have a nice meal, and then settle down to some entertainment to ESCAPE from the politics, punditry and activism that's shoved down their throat on a daily basis... They don't WANT to have to think about this stuff...It means little to them and they just want to watch the damn game!!!!...:yes

There's a quote from Erick Erickson, who runs the website "redstate", about the what goes on culturally...

You want to get AWAY from the "daily grind" and sit back with a beer and NOT have to form opinions and have discussions on subjects you care little about and wished weren't discussed so you can just enjoy the on-field action?

And the public is responding to that by not bothering to watch...There are so many more options to "escape" from the "daily grind" that WON'T force people to "care", and that's exactly what's happening...and it won't stop until the NFL decides to end these ideology stunts...

Yeah, that's it, it is the left's fault people have so many options, and that there are so many televised football games, that the ratings for one game where down. Just ****ing brilliant!

Uh, it was a crappy game with crappy teams.

Geez...what a stupid post.

Cross posting from the forum where you are an administrator? Lame

But of course that's what it is..............disrespect of the flag............

and is a plot cooked up by the Left-leaning Obama-Clinton cabal.........

And designed to sully the reputation of America's number one sport........

And it seems to be working........

But of course that's what it is..............disrespect of the flag............

and is a plot cooked up by the Left-leaning Obama-Clinton cabal.........

And designed to sully the reputation of America's number one sport........

And it seems to be working........

It is because we all hate America, amiright?

You can tut-tut all you want, but I've JUST read this...It was like a Vulcan mind-meld...

I’m not calling for a boycott, and in fact I’m still planning on watching NFL games, for now anyway — just not as many as I’d normally watch. I skipped the game last night after the announcement of the national-anthem protest because it took the fun out of it for me, and I don’t have a particular attachment to either team. Nor do I have a problem with protest or even the subject matter of it; for me, it’s a matter of both intruding on what should be a politics-free zone of entertainment and fun on a normally unifying tradition that goes back a century in sporting events. It’s more dreary politicization in a culture where everything’s becoming politicized.
Exactly!...

I don't care at all about the NFL or Football but I'm pretty sure if you couldn't bring yourself to watch your favorite game because of a protest from some athlete you're a big baby. Just tune in after the game starts and you wont have to see it.

Everyone in this country is so easily offended and no one seems to have a monopoly on manufactured righteous indignation.

Concussions much more likely to be the main reason. The NFL did not seem to understand that acting like concussions are a real problem by putting in place new "protocols" an saying that they will spend $100 million on the problem makes people think that there is a real problem, that the game is not safe, and so they can not ethically watch.

Concussions much more likely to be the main reason. The NFL did not seem to understand that acting like concussions are a real problem by putting in place new "protocols" an saying that they will spend $100 million on the problem makes people think that there is a real problem, that the game is not safe, and so they can not ethically watch.

People watch boxing and MMA and those are much more dangerous than football not to mention the NFL had its highest ratings after the concussion stuff was known.

The NFL getting political in general, along with some bad match ups have made the viewership down a little but its still very high and still blows everything else out of the water.

I don't care at all about the NFL or Football but I'm pretty sure if you couldn't bring yourself to watch your favorite game because of a protest from some athlete you're a big baby. Just tune in after the game starts and you wont have to see it.

Everyone in this country is so easily offended and no one seems to have a monopoly on manufactured righteous indignation.

Only 1 game a week is going to be your favorite team, the other 12-15 games are ones that you might pass up if you have to hear about political bs the whole night. Its more than just the anthem, its in the pre-game show, its in the commentary, its in the post game show. It has really made the NFL a downer to watch this year especially when only 1 side of the argument is allowed.

People watch boxing and MMA and those are much more dangerous than football not to mention the NFL had its highest ratings after the concussion stuff was known.

The NFL getting political in general, along with some bad match ups have made the viewership down a little but its still very high and still blows everything else out of the water.

09/12/2016,
“I don’t know how we got to this. To say that we have to abolish football, I think would be silly. I think we have to look at some things very seriously though,” he said, pointing to Thursday’s Super Bowl rematch game and aggressive hits to the head sustained by Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, who wasn’t taken out of the game.

“I mean, if you’re advocating abolishing the game, I don’t know. There’s a lot of money being made,” Ditka said. “I watched that game. I saw the play. A player does not want to come out of the game. He wants to be out there with his teammates. That’s part of it. I don’t say it’s right. But that’s just part of it, his love for his team. Maybe 30 years down the line, he might not feel the same way, and maybe that team may not be so loyal to him.”

Ditka and the panel took on the issue currently rocking the NFL as it seeks to settle more than 5,000 concussion-related lawsuits filed in recent years by more than 20,000 retired players. Settlements are expected to surpass $1 billion.
Ditka on concussions: NFL owes players, but don't kill football | Chicago Sun-Times

Things have changed in the last year, I feel it.

Oh fer christ sakes...I'd bet dollars to donuts the absolute VAST majority of sports fans don't give two craps about watching the national anthem being performed on TV.

They're too busy at that moment getting their beverages, and snacks, and taking a good leak before the game starts.

Think about what most of the home audience is doing during the anthem. probably not all that "respectful" in most cases.

Less and less people have TV's, and more and more people are streaming. I have no idea how, or if streaming in counted in ratings. Sunday I was out. So I watched the Giant's game on my phone.

is NBC trying desperately to makes excuses.

Monday Night football is on ESPN.

And how does a 2 minute pre-game boycott mean someone 'can't watch the game'? The protest doesn't go on during the game. In 2 minutes it's over and done with. How is it 'shoved down anyone's throat'?

Last edited:
:inandout:
Well, thank you. Appreciate it, that probably just helped increase this thread's ratings.

You can pooh pooh it all you want, but many in America are sick to death of all this crap, this needless and forced, into the most dubious areas of our lives, exposure to liberal views ... its in the music, the movies, tv shows, cartoons, our public schools are rife with this disease, academia... there were few places of refuge left where one could just sit and watch, take a break from seeing the downfall of American values in real time.

Sports, the Olympics, Professional and now amateur sports, with the NCAA boycott of NC due to the "bathroom bill" [with that I will probably never watch an NCAA game again, even though I truly enjoyed the Final Four in basketball ] have made this area of isolation from the sickness now an area of infection... so many I am sure will flee to little league and Pop Warner type games to watch, high school sports will probably have an increase in attendance.

So, a hat tip in thanks, as it will in all likelihood, at least hopefully, take folks back out of their darkened living rooms and dens back out into the real world to watch more important games, the ones their children and children's friends are participating in.

There can always be a silver lining to the ominous dark clouds that liberalism foists over our heads. Instead of constantly looking up at those clouds, recognise they are there and come back to looking at what is good on the ground here... and watching our step mindful of the cigars, those regularly interspersed dog piles liberals spread about down here, too.

well, i don't really care if blacks want to stand for the anthem, that's small potatoes compared to their other rabid behavior anyhow. as for something i do care a bit about; i dislike turning on sports radio and hearing about politics/race, so i usually turn it off if that's the topic being discussed. after a hard day's work I'm not interested in being spoon-fed a white-guilt agenda.

So a 2nd string QB kneeling for 2 mins. before a game is now 'liberalism ruining the NFL'?

Wow, conservatives take their politics way too seriously. That's probably why conservative media is popular with conservatives. They sit there daily listening and watching so they can be told what to believe. In this case they believe this is liberals ruining the NFL.

Whatever.

Oh fer christ sakes...I'd bet dollars to donuts the absolute VAST majority of sports fans don't give two craps about watching the national anthem being performed on TV.

They're too busy at that moment getting their beverages, and snacks, and taking a good leak before the game starts.

Think about what most of the home audience is doing during the anthem. probably not all that "respectful" in most cases.
While that may be tangentially true, that does not mean people do not hear about it and are sickened by it. While it may not be particularly "respectful" it is not specifically being "disrespectful". Most Americans appreciate what the flag and the National Anthem represent, the heritage, traditions and sacrifices of many that allow for the enjoyment of such games and don't want to see or hear of it being trashed by some brash, overpaid celebs who think we care about their lazy misconstructions about how "bad" we have it here in America.

Its like the aftertaste with the ostensibly better for you zero calorie soft-drinks. Seems a good idea, but in reality probably isn't, its unnatural and as a reminder there is that subtle aftertaste left that just makes it all the more unpleasant.

While that may be tangentially true, that does not mean people do not hear about it and are sickened by it. While it may not be particularly "respectful" it is not specifically being "disrespectful". Most Americans appreciate what the flag and the National Anthem represent, the heritage, traditions and sacrifices of many that allow for the enjoyment of such games and don't want to see or hear of it being trashed by some brash, overpaid celebs who think we care about their lazy misconstructions about how "bad" we have it here in America.

Its like the aftertaste with the ostensibly better for you zero calorie soft-drinks. Seems a good idea, but in reality probably isn't, its unnatural and as a reminder there is that subtle aftertaste left that just makes it all the more unpleasant.

I don't watch football so I have no idea, but are the commentators talking about the "protest" crap during the game?

If a person starts to watch the game a few minutes after the opening kickoff, will they ever know what happened prior to the kickoff?

Stupid post is stupid.

Stupid post is stupid.
Sounds exactly like someone describing their own stupid post... you said absolutely nothing of consequence. I know I know, here I am wasting my time multiplying your nothingness as well... see how the sickness infects the rest of us?

Sounds exactly like someone describing their own stupid post... you said absolutely nothing of consequence. I know I know, here I am wasting my time multiplying your nothingness as well... see how the sickness infects the rest of us?

Moronic post is moronic.

Back
Top Bottom