• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mom

I brought mom back to my house the other day. I think she'll just stay here with me, though I'm not positive. I'm no doctor, no medical training, but I think mom has what's called Failure to Thrive. She's 86...can barely move one foot in front of the other with a walker...knows it!...her short-term memory is gone...she's incontinent and doesn't care. Hahaha!

Whether it's her medication (which she needs to stay alive) or a general decline makes no difference. It is what it is.

She's eating like a bird. Yesterday she had an Ensure with a banana blended in for breakfast. For lunch a scrambled egg, slice of onion, two strips of bacon and applesauce. For dinner, she had a few bites of bbq'd chicken, a bite or two of pickled beets, and a quarter of a banana late ion the evening. She also had some apple juice thruout the day.

Now that I know her bigger meal seems to be lunch (2 days in a row), I'll make sure she gets protein...but I'm not going to encourage her to eat anymore other than just ask her, "How's the chicken, mom?" Sometimes that prompts her to take a bite. Or, "How's the apple juice?" which might remind her to take a drink.

I took her for a short walk down the block, probably 100 yards there and back. It took a half hour. I have to tell her "Long steps, mom," or she tiny-marches in place. Her mind, other than her short-term memory, is pretty good -- but all worldly interests are gone.

I cancelled her physical therapy, occupational therapy (ha!) and visiting nurse. I know what has to be done and will do it as mom tolerates. Like yesterday's walk. I'll try to do that every day.

She's oh-so-tired...it's just about 9 a.m. here in Chicago, and she's still asleep. I'm just going to let her sleep as long as she'd like. I'll check on her in an hour or so . . .

Through it all, she's happy and content. We laugh at her foibles and frailty and I keep telling her it'll get better as we work on it.

And every night, when I tuck her in bed, I tell her, "I love you very much, Mom," and she says, "I love you, too," right back. ;)

Thanks for listening.

Maggie, this may be harder on you than on her.... Hang in there and just love her.

Back
Top Bottom