• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mom, daughter charged with incest after marrying in Oklahoma

As crazy as I think it is, I don't think incest should be illegal. Nor should polygamy be illegal.

As long as they are consenting adults, I don't see the problem.

It's not my place to push my morals onto other individuals.

I tend to agree, but the issue of grooming (brainwashing) muddies the waters with incest, even among adults. It's not clear to me that a young adult who was deliberately groomed from a very early age to believe that he/she is expected to have a sexual relationship with his/her parent is free as an adult to choose to do so (or to not do so) in the same sense that someone who was not groomed in such a way is free to choose to do so. In most of these cases I highly doubt there wasn't anything inappropriate happening at a young age.

But I do hear occasionally of cases where a parent/child are reunited as adults after being separated at birth who end up having a sexual relationship. Grooming obviously wouldn't be an issue then. But I still suspect these relationships are emblematic of other emotional/mental health issues going on....but not unethical.

I'm torn. It definitely grosses me out to the extreme. But should it be legal? Things get complicated when you are talking about parent child incest. I usually say if it is two, or more, consenting adults mind your own business. The problem is I find it next to impossible to believe that, after a normal childhood, this romantic relationship popped up spontaneously upon adulthood. I don't buy that for a second. This woman was grooming her children for this. And I would also bet that in almost every case of a parent having a romantic relationship with their adult children that there was some ****ed up or downright illegal stuff going on in their childhood to lead to that. Proving it is certainly problematic. But I am not going to lose any sleep if parent/child incest remains illegal.

^Almost exactly my take as well :D

As crazy as I think it is, I don't think incest should be illegal. Nor should polygamy be illegal.

You don't see a problem with inbreeding?

I tend to agree, but the issue of grooming (brainwashing) muddies the waters with incest, even among adults. It's not clear to me that a young adult who was deliberately groomed from a very early age to believe that he/she is expected to have a sexual relationship with his/her parent is free as an adult to choose to do so (or to not do so) in the same sense that someone who was not groomed in such a way is free to choose to do so. In most of these cases I highly doubt there wasn't anything inappropriate happening at a young age.

But I do hear occasionally of cases where a parent/child are reunited as adults after being separated at birth who end up having a sexual relationship. Grooming obviously wouldn't be an issue then. But I still suspect these relationships are emblematic of other emotional/mental health issues going on....but not unethical.

I can definitely understand what you're saying, which is why I'm not completely down with the idea of incest. I can certainly get behind polygamy being legal, but with incest IDK for sure.

Remember back during the early days of the interracial marriage debate when the same thing happened? If you let blacks marry whites, soon people will marry children!!

No, I don't remember that.

No, I don't remember that.

Well, it did. The slippery slope arguments. It's against the will of god. It's against the will of the people. We have to protect the children from this. All of the same arguments were made against interracial marriage.

If you let a black man marry a white woman, you'll have to let people marry children and animals!

Government needs to stay out of the concept of marriage all together. All it does is further divide citizens into groups. More government control. More government noses prying into matters that shouldn't concern it.

this would be a problem

Government needs to stay out of the concept of marriage all together. All it does is further divide citizens into groups. More government control. More government noses prying into matters that shouldn't concern it.

If people don't want the government recognition of marriage, then they don't have to get it. It's that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it did. The slippery slope arguments. It's against the will of god. It's against the will of the people. We have to protect the children from this. All of the same arguments were made against interracial marriage.

If you let a black man marry a white woman, you'll have to let people marry children and animals!

Well, no it didn't.

Back
Top Bottom