• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mom Asks What Will Happen When Her Toddler Son Becomes a 'Grown Black Man'

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
What's going to happen to her kid?

I get the fears, but... it depends. It depends on who the kid grows up to be. And there are going to be many factors in that regard... her parenting, the father's parenting, where they live, outside influences such as friends growing up, and so on.

He may face some challenges that others don't, but being black is not a virtual death sentence, regardless what the media wants to tell us.
Mom Asks What Will Happen When Her Toddler Son Becomes a 'Grown Black Man'

https://gma.yahoo.com/mom-asks-happ...omes-grown-174139124--abc-news-lifestyle.html
Please note that the link I clicked on on the Yahoo home page specifically said this kid is bi-racial, indicating a white mother and black father. The article itself does not specifically say that, though it is implied in context. Just want to clarify that up front.

I get the fears, but... it depends. It depends on who the kid grows up to be. And there are going to be many factors in that regard... her parenting, the father's parenting, where they live, outside influences such as friends growing up, and so on.

He may face some challenges that others don't, but being black is not a virtual death sentence, regardless what the media wants to tell us.

Please note that the link I clicked on on the Yahoo home page specifically said this kid is bi-racial, indicating a white mother and black father. The article itself does not specifically say that, though it is implied in context. Just want to clarify that up front.

What he will grow up to be is 100% in her hands.

She should look to herself for the answer.

Are you 100 % what your mother made you?

Or did you have something to do with the way that your life has turned out?

I learned a lot from my parents the most of which was fear of consequences which was why I never did drugs and was not out on the street making trouble.

That is a lesson sadly missing with kids today.

That's really kind of sad. Such a cute little boy. We all start out so innocent. When does it go wrong for so many?

That's really kind of sad. Such a cute little boy. We all start out so innocent. When does it go wrong for so many?
I have this theory...

If you were to take three kids at age 3 months of varying race/ethnicity (which ones is wholly irrelevant, pick any three), and placed them on a mountain top in Tibet, and they had absolutely no interaction with the outside world, ever... they would grow up being perfectly fine with each other. They wouldn't know that they were "supposed" to hate and/or be wary of each other.

Hence, it is society that screws it up, not the supposed inner differences of people.

Maybe it's when they see the reality of the world we live in, and that it's not always full of happiness and sunshine.

Probably around the time the kid realizes the depth and magnitude of the racism that exists in the country.

The blind innocence you and radcen display is so precious.

What he will grow up to be is 100% in her hands.

She should look to herself for the answer.
I disagree with 100%, but I would agree with a vast majority. Outside factors have influence, too. Parents can mitigate outside influences to a degree, again by the choices they themselves make, but short of locking the kid in a closet they cannot eliminate said influences completely.

I have this theory...

If you were to take three kids at age 3 months of varying race/ethnicity (which ones is wholly irrelevant, pick any three), and placed them on a mountain top in Tibet, and they had absolutely no interaction with the outside world, ever... they would grow up being perfectly fine with each other. They wouldn't know that they were "supposed" to hate and/or be wary of each other.

Hence, it is society that screws it up, not the supposed inner differences of people.
So if you really are able to reach this thought all by your sweet lonesome, how is it possible for you to create a parallel thread where you assume bi-racial parents can expect their children to grow up free from racism, where they can chose what group/culture to be accepted into?

I learned a lot from my parents the most of which was fear of consequences which was why I never did drugs and was not out on the street making trouble.

That is a lesson sadly missing with kids today.

With some kids today.

Some parents do a pretty good job.Others shouldn't have children.

I have this theory...

This is absolutely true, but what can be done about it?

I'm glad we can amuse you, but I make no apologies for wanting better.
From WHO?

The problem is aided and abetted by those who act as if bi-racial kids will be accepted into any segment of US society. It is so Pollyanna.

I disagree with 100%, but I would agree with a vast majority. Outside factors have influence, too. Parents can mitigate outside influences to a degree, again by the choices they themselves make, but short of locking the kid in a closet they cannot eliminate said influences completely.

It doesn't matter what happens outside the house, it is how that event is handled inside the house that shapes the child.

For example, a girl that is getting bullied online can be taught that it is not important in the scheme of things or she can be taught the opposite.

What happens in the house directly affects how the kid handles things outside.

With some kids today.

Some parents do a pretty good job.Others shouldn't have children.

Obviously that is true, but this mother is asking this question like she has no say in what happens, and that is not right.

Probably around the time the kid realizes the depth and magnitude of the racism that exists in the country.

The blind innocence you and radcen display is so precious.

Soooo sad to think about.

From WHO?

The problem is aided and abetted by those who act as if bi-racial kids will be accepted into any segment of US society. It is so Pollyanna.

Just because you thrive on discord doesn't mean everyone else does.

Just because you thrive on discord doesn't mean everyone else does.
LOL....we are in a thread where Pollyanna wonders why blacks are not accepted in US society....and I introduce the real world......and then I'm accused of "thriving on discord".

Kumbayah babe, kumbayah.

Yep. Regardless of what my parents tried to do, they couldn't prevent me from how I turned out, and I turned out the complete opposite of what they wanted me to.

This is absolutely true, but what can be done about it?
Whittle back the world population to 3?

Seriously, I don't know.

I grew up in a predominantly white town. A sizeable Mexican population, but still predominantly white. My high school graduating class was 653, and we had, maybe, 4 blacks. Seriously. I did not gain widespread exposure with blacks until I joined the Army. I had never really thought about it before that, but I learned that if you sit down and get to know people, and work with them, you realize they are just people. There will be some cultural differences, sure, but there were also some white guys from the south that I didn't relate to at all, so that taught me it's cultural, not race/ethnic.

This goes against everything that I normally stand for, but I have since believed that some kind of mandatory service requirement would help. It would force people to come together in a common atmosphere and get along.

It wouldn't be a panacea, phfft, hell no. And I knew some guys who never got the lesson, too, so there will always be some of that, but it would help. I saw that first hand. The common experience that a required military service would provide would serve society well, overall. People tend to be more open if they know they have something, anything, in common.

Then there's the small-L libertarian part of me that says we shouldn't force people to serve against their will. :shrug:

LOL....we are in a thread where Pollyanna wonders why blacks are not accepted in US society....and I introduce the real world......and then I'm accused of "thriving on discord".

Kumbayah babe, kumbayah.

BS. You have a history here. You thrive on discord. It's your MO.

Yep. Regardless of what my parents tried to do, they couldn't prevent me from how I turned out, and I turned out the complete opposite of what they wanted me to.

Can you give us an example of how they wanted you to turn out and how you turned out differently?

Back
Top Bottom