• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Moderna Says New Covid-19 Vaccine Data Support Need for Third Dose

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Moderna Inc. said that while its Covid-19 vaccine remains effective against the disease, including the latest variants, there's evidence that it could be more effective with a booster dose.

The biotechnology company said its vaccine is still highly effective in protecting people from circulating Covid-19 variants, including Delta, according to a real-world effectiveness study.

However, in a clinical study, Moderna found that patients who were vaccinated more recently had a lower chance of a breakthrough infection than those who were vaccinated last year, building a case for a third booster dose.
==============================================
I'd go for shot #3.

I want it, I'm just not sure if I should get it now, at the 6 month mark, or wait until the 8th month. I don't want to be walking around with less protection without knowing.
I wish there was a test I could do to see what immunity I have and when I should get it.

It looks like we're going into seasonal flu shot season territory since these shots are about maintaining protection versus establishing long lasting protection. The other question is how well will treatments for COVID 19 improve and made available so it doesn't present the same problems as it has in the past.

Any news on the trials for the Delta-specific booster?

I'll get the booster when it's available.

Two senior FDA officials resign over Biden administration booster shot plan​

Two senior officials have resigned from their positions within the US Food and Drug Administration over frustrations with the Biden administration’s plans to move forward with recommending COVID-19 booster shots without their prior approval, according to a report.
Marion Gruber, director of the FDA’s Office of Vaccines Research & Review, and deputy director Phil Krause are set to leave the agency this fall, with sources telling Politico that the two officials were at odds with the FDA’s top vaccine official, Peter Marks, and were discontented over the roles of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices in decisions that they believed should be handled by the FDA.

According to trade publication Endpoints, the officials felt they were sidelined on major decisions, that the administration’s plan for boosters was jumping the gun, and that Marks should have pushed for the FDA to have more autonomy on the matter.

Moderna Inc. said that while its Covid-19 vaccine remains effective against the disease, including the latest variants, there's evidence that it could be more effective with a booster dose.

The biotechnology company said its vaccine is still highly effective in protecting people from circulating Covid-19 variants, including Delta, according to a real-world effectiveness study.

However, in a clinical study, Moderna found that patients who were vaccinated more recently had a lower chance of a breakthrough infection than those who were vaccinated last year, building a case for a third booster dose.
I'd go for shot #3.

for a booster does

I want it, I'm just not sure if I should get it now, at the 6 month mark, or wait until the 8th month. I don't want to be walking around with less protection without knowing.
I wish there was a test I could do to see what immunity I have and when I should get it.

I am making a run to pick up something at my CVS & I will ask them. I have the record of both doses in my wallet. I should scan it & save a copy.

I am making a run to pick up something at my CVS & I will ask them. I have the record of both doses in my wallet. I should scan it & save a copy.
I appreciate it. Let us know if you find out. :)

It looks like we're going into seasonal flu shot season territory since these shots are about maintaining protection versus establishing long lasting protection. The other question is how well will treatments for COVID 19 improve and made available so it doesn't present the same problems as it has in the past.
I'm able to isolate so much, and wear a mask in public, that there's probably not much reason for me to get a flu shot. I usually get it but rarely get the flu whether I do or not.

I dont like the idea of a combined flu/covid shot and will need to learn more about that if it's offered.

Take a pic for your phone.

I'm able to isolate so much, and wear a mask in public, that there's probably not much reason for me to get a flu shot. I usually get it but rarely get the flu whether I do or not.

I dont like the idea of a combined flu/covid shot and will need to learn more about that if it's offered.
There's still more to learn about who actually needs it before any decisions can be made on whether it's required or not. Where we end up with treatments and general herd immunity will factor in as well.

I don't know what "too soon" means for each of us personally, but my best friend's husband asked his doctor if he could get the booster, and this is what his doctor said. My sister, on the other hand, decided that she wanted the booster and walked into CVS. They told her she had to go talk to somebody/some entity associated with them (I don't remember what), and she did, and then returned to CVS.

She became really, really sick--incapacitated--by the booster. My point is that she just waltzed into CVS and got the booster shot. I don't think she should have done so without her doctor's approval.

I don't know what "too soon" means for each of us personally, but my best friend's husband asked his doctor if he could get the booster, and this is what his doctor said. My sister, on the other hand, decided that she wanted the booster and walked into CVS. They told her she had to go talk to somebody/some entity associated with them (I don't remember what), and she did, and then returned to CVS.

She became really, really sick--incapacitated--by the booster. My point is that she just waltzed into CVS and got the booster shot. I don't think she should have done so without her doctor's approval.
I just spoke with my CVS pharmacist & even though they give out the usual first 2 shots, they have no current involvement with the Pfizer booster. I was told to check with my MD>

People have occasional reactions to the annual flu shot & yet don't need a doctor's Rx to get one. Doctors don't have time to see everyone interested in the booster nor would it serve any useful purpose.

Fox so-called News keeps using the line that you need your doctor's OK to get a covid shot. Nonsense & propaganda that's filling up hospitals & killing lots of people out there on the right wing.

I'd go for shot #3.
It's because of antibodies and the b-cell response. In the weeks / early months after being vaccinated, you have high antibody levels. Then if you aren't expose to COVID, your antibodies go dormant, and your body relies on the b-cell response to produce more when needed. The problem is that the incubation period for Delta is so short, that by the time you body ramps it's antibodies up, you may already have a breakthrough infection. However, the vaccines still are highly effective because that b-cell response results in it just being a short, mild infection.

What the booster would do is give you a fresh influx of antibodies which would prevent a breakthrough infection while there are still a lot of COVID infections out there due to all the unvaccinated.

Yeah. Thats what the 'science' says. A third shot. We think. Maybe a 4th. After 6 months. Or maybe after 4 months. or 2. Yeah...definitely 2. Unless its 4. Or maybe 6.

Meanwhile...

Yeah. Thats what the 'science' says. A third shot. We think. Maybe a 4th. After 6 months. Or maybe after 4 months. or 2. Yeah...definitely 2. Unless its 4. Or maybe 6.

Meanwhile...

And you obviously don't know what you are talking about in regards to vaccines, antibodies, and b-cell response. Furthermore, a vaccine has virtually no serious risks for you. Natural immunity involves a significant risk of severe illness and heart and lung damage, not to mention death.

And you obviously don't know what you are talking about in regards to vaccines, antibodies, and b-cell response. Furthermore, a vaccine has virtually no serious risks for you. Natural immunity involves a significant risk of severe illness and heart and lung damage, not to mention death.
🤣

I'm not an immunologist. In mot a virologist. I WORK with scientists and chemists that develop defenses to viruses used as offensive weapons and we have had many conversations about this vaccine...so I'd say I know more about vaccines and particularly this vaccine than the average person. I also know there are doctors and scientists and virologists, and immunologists...practicing and active professionals from all around the globe...not just in the US but in Canada, Germany, France, and other countries that have all expressed very real and legitimate concerns. I know that rather than discussing the concerns, the idiot left attacks actual doctors and scientists and virologists, and immunologists for daring to not act like the sheep and lemmings of the left and just shut up and get the damn shot.

Im not opposed to vaccines. I advocate for people that are high risk to by all means seriously consider the vaccine. I cheer on people thast want to get the vaccine by choice...yes...even the idiot left, even though I think they are stupid as **** for just blindly following along and agreeing to every change and every lie and every false projection because they are too ****ing stupid or unscientific or just too ****ing eagerly blind to think MAYBE since every single thing they have been told about masks and the vaccines has changed that MAYBE they dont REALLY know what the **** they are full on about just yet. The fact that so many DO have antibodies from a natural instance of COVID, that those numbers are just ignored, that their immunity is NOT enhanced by the shots and yet they are still being coerced and forced into vacines also speaks volumes.

The 3rd shot is just another example. As will the 4th. The fact that they are making this shit up as they go and that people like you are cheerleading for them...thats just ****ing tragic.

🤣

I'm not an immunologist. In mot a virologist. I WORK with scientists and chemists that develop defenses to viruses used as offensive weapons and we have had many conversations about this vaccine...so I'd say I know more about vaccines and particularly this vaccine than the average person. I also know there are doctors and scientists and virologists, and immunologists...practicing and active professionals from all around the globe...not just in the US but in Canada, Germany, France, and other countries that have all expressed very real and legitimate concerns. I know that rather than discussing the concerns, the idiot left attacks actual doctors and scientists and virologists, and immunologists for daring to not act like the sheep and lemmings of the left and just shut up and get the damn shot.

Im not opposed to vaccines. I advocate for people that are high risk to by all means seriously consider the vaccine. I cheer on people thast want to get the vaccine by choice...yes...even the idiot left, even though I think they are stupid as **** for just blindly following along and agreeing to every change and every lie and every false projection because they are too ****ing stupid or unscientific or just too ****ing eagerly blind to think MAYBE since every single thing they have been told about masks and the vaccines has changed that MAYBE they dont REALLY know what the **** they are full on about just yet. The fact that so many DO have antibodies from a natural instance of COVID, that those numbers are just ignored, that their immunity is NOT enhanced by the shots and yet they are still being coerced and forced into vacines also speaks volumes.

The 3rd shot is just another example. As will the 4th. The fact that they are making this shit up as they go and that people like you are cheerleading for them...thats just ****ing tragic.

VanceMack: "I WORK with scientists and chemists...." + a bunch of conspiracy theories + misinformation.

People have occasional reactions to the annual flu shot & yet don't need a doctor's Rx to get one. Doctors don't have time to see everyone interested in the booster nor would it serve any useful purpose.

Fox so-called News keeps using the line that you need your doctor's OK to get a covid shot. Nonsense & propaganda that's filling up hospitals & killing lots of people out there on the right wing.
I'm not aware of what Fox News is saying, but I am aware of the widespread availability of vaccines and CVS and elsewhere. I'm not sure the comparison of annual flu shot to this new vaccine and its booster has much merit yet.

Is this propaganda? https://www.axios.com/moderna-boost...ion-b2ae37a6-a767-423e-ada3-95ab3815d26f.html

I just spoke with my CVS pharmacist & even though they give out the usual first 2 shots, they have no current involvement with the Pfizer booster. I was told to check with my MD>
My sister was vaccinated with the Moderna.

In similar news, Ford says new data supports need for a third Bronco.

Back
Top Bottom