• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Modern Way to Cheat on Homework

There are limits, as I am getting papers from students mentioning Fidel Castro when the topic is the US invading Cuba in 1898.
You're a teacher? wow

i quit doing homework by high school. it was the 60's and i had streets to run after school.
I Guess they cant get away with that anymore -or can the students?

AI is only going to make things even worse. :(

It's about time we switch how we teach children. The Industrial Age classroom just won't work for kids growing up in the digital age.
all indications were kids did not learn well without being in school during the pandemic.
Then the socialization and extracurricular activities help develop their personalities and getting them interested in other activities-
keeps them from gangs and boosts their self esteem

all indications were kids did not learn well without being in school during the pandemic.
Then the socialization and extracurricular activities help develop their personalities and getting them interested in other activities-
keeps them from gangs and boosts their self esteem
That's good. I wasn't suggesting they all school at home, or forgo extracurricular actives.

Just suggesting we change the way we teach, in the age of Google knows everything.....there are things we don't need to waste our time on.
Like spelling.

That's good. I wasn't suggesting they all school at home, or forgo extracurricular actives.

Just suggesting we change the way we teach, in the age of Google knows everything.....there are things we don't need to waste our time on.
Like spelling.
Spelling is important because words may look similar, but spelling them out allows differentiation.
and understanding the spelling just helps recognize the word next time

But i get the idea kids can use spell check as well. what we dont want to do is short change kids the ability to use basic reading
and math skils in their head, while using computers for anything more then a simple calculation

Spelling is important because words may look similar, but spelling them out allows differentiation.

But i get the idea kids can use spell check as well. what we dont want to do is short change kids the ability to use basic reading
and math skils in their head, while using computers for anything more then a simple calculation
But they will use it anyway. We could teach the basics and then move on to more technology based learning which they will definitely need in our future.
Right now kids are going to college unequipped to handle the current and up and coming job market. We should be planning ahead.

Our education curriculum really needs an update. IMO, of course.

You're a teacher? wow

That would have been my first guess actually. JBB seems quite careful about not being wrong, more so than the average forum user.

math skils eh? ;)

Computers just get easier to use with each year. You can solve some fearsome equations on a website, and that will become an app so the only way to stop kids cheating in class will be to ban phones in school.

Imagine the outrage if government required all phones to have a kill switch that schools could use. Oh my.

Like spelling.
Absolutely wrong. Technology breaks, and doesn't work perfectly. I am seeing more and more in modern publications, were there are supposed to be editors, basic grammar and spelling errors. These tools are helpful yes, but still require you to recognize basic mistakes. You need to be able to spell functionally when writing. The basics of reading and writing and arithmetic are even MORE important today as they are the foundation of ALL other education. Hand writing and calculation are important functions that need to be able to be done without machine assistance. It is THE basic fundamentals upon which our society is founded. People want to get rid of cursive writing, problem is many of our founding and historical documents are written this way. They want to get rid of hand calculation because of calculators. What good is knowing how to solve equations if you dont know how to do the basic arithmetic operations when the machines dont work. Basic fundamental required knowledge doesn't lessen over time, it increases.

Absolutely wrong. Technology breaks, and doesn't work perfectly. I am seeing more and more in modern publications, were there are supposed to be editors, basic grammar and spelling errors. These tools are helpful yes, but still require you to recognize basic mistakes. You need to be able to spell functionally when writing. The basics of reading and writing and arithmetic are even MORE important today as they are the foundation of ALL other education. Hand writing and calculation are important functions that need to be able to be done without machine assistance. It is THE basic fundamentals upon which our society is founded. People want to get rid of cursive writing, problem is many of our founding and historical documents are written this way. They want to get rid of hand calculation because of calculators. What good is knowing how to solve equations if you dont know how to do the basic arithmetic operations when the machines dont work. Basic fundamental required knowledge doesn't lessen over time, it increases.
I obviously don't agree.

We're getting to the point where teachers can no longer tell who wrote a paper and who had an AI write it. Schools need to progress with the times, businesses aren't going to wait on our lack of modern education, they'll just hire from other countries.

I think it's doing a disservice to American kids. Already 51% of jobs are highly susceptible to automation. Why send your child to school for that many years for nothing?

We need more automation design and technology taught at a young age and less unless skills. A lot of foreign countries are ahead of us in this. How long will we wait?
School should be a living progressing experience. Kids get to college and freak out because they don't know anything useful. We should fix that.

math skils eh? ;)

Computers just get easier to use with each year. You can solve some fearsome equations on a website, and that will become an app so the only way to stop kids cheating in class will be to ban phones in school.

Imagine the outrage if government required all phones to have a kill switch that schools could use. Oh my.
My children didnt have smart phones that worked in other than phone mode and clock. I neutralized the other apps. They didnt get a phone till they started driving. They bought their own phones after they became adults.
I obviously don't agree.

We're getting to the point where teachers can no longer tell who wrote a paper and who had an AI write it. Schools need to progress with the times, businesses aren't going to wait on our lack of modern education, they'll just hire from other countries.

I think it's doing a disservice to American kids. Already 51% of jobs are highly susceptible to automation. Why send your child to school for that many years for nothing?

We need more automation design and technology taught at a young age and less unless skills. A lot of foreign countries are ahead of us in this. How long will we wait?
School should be a living progressing experience. Kids get to college and freak out because they don't know anything useful. We should fix that.
This here is why I insisted on educating my own children and never let them into a public school for an academic education. What you propose is foolishness. You think you know, but it is clear you dont. Without the foundational education of reading and writing and arithmetic, when the machines break your students become useless. The basics provide the foundation build a solid functional education. My children didnt not write their papers on computers till the very end of their education. They used old fashioned encyclopedia's and pen and paper for large portion of their education. The text books we used for English and basic arithmetic were published in 1830. The firm foundation they have makes it much easier for them to evaluate and transition to new methods should they choose so. The people in my Engineering firm all use the latest software and computing technologies, we develop a lot of it ourselves. Every single one of them can do their jobs without a computer or the software. With just a pen and a slide rule. Because I insist they can. Its a mindset that says there is more than one way to do things.

Absolutely wrong. Technology breaks, and doesn't work perfectly
Approximately how many hundreds and/or thousands of hours of schooling per year do you imagine kids might lose due to broken technology, as you sit in an electrically-powered home on a fully functioning computer using a working internet service that you probably paid for with a successful digital transaction?

Approximately how many hundreds and/or thousands of hours of schooling per year do you imagine kids might lose due to broken technology, as you sit in an electrically-powered home on a fully functioning computer using a working internet service that you probably paid for with a successful digital transaction?
Apparently you are in the same boat as the person I responded to previously. You dont understand the reason for the necessity of being able to do things manually and learning to do that before doing it digitally. It is the fundamental foundation and understanding that underlies everything else. Knowing the fundamentals provides the ability to operate outside the digital sphere. This can be important because the power does go out and you may need to do something manually. How many people cant make change? Or add and subtract without a calculator? Quite a few these days.

Apparently you are in the same boat as the person I responded to previously. You dont understand the reason for the necessity of being able to do things manually and learning to do that before doing it digitally. It is the fundamental foundation and understanding that underlies everything else. Knowing the fundamentals provides the ability to operate outside the digital sphere. This can be important because the power does go out and you may need to do something manually. How many people cant make change? Or add and subtract without a calculator? Quite a few these days.
I agree with you on that part, so I didn't quote & respond to that part. Apologies about that misunderstanding. My focus was on your apparent hangup with technology because it "breaks and doesn't work perfectly". I would suggest that technology, sufficiently designed, could do a perfectly good (and reliable) job of teaching the manual concepts you and I both agree are still important. E.g. Kids could trace letters using a stylus pen on touch-screens, or drag-and-drop numbers into positions to do long division by hand. Or play a fun computer game that teaches spelling and grammar.

My children didnt have smart phones that worked in other than phone mode and clock. I neutralized the other apps. They didnt get a phone till they started driving. They bought their own phones after they became adults.

This here is why I insisted on educating my own children and never let them into a public school for an academic education. What you propose is foolishness. You think you know, but it is clear you dont. Without the foundational education of reading and writing and arithmetic, when the machines break your students become useless. The basics provide the foundation build a solid functional education. My children didnt not write their papers on computers till the very end of their education. They used old fashioned encyclopedia's and pen and paper for large portion of their education. The text books we used for English and basic arithmetic were published in 1830. The firm foundation they have makes it much easier for them to evaluate and transition to new methods should they choose so. The people in my Engineering firm all use the latest software and computing technologies, we develop a lot of it ourselves. Every single one of them can do their jobs without a computer or the software. With just a pen and a slide rule. Because I insist they can. Its a mindset that says there is more than one way to do things.
If it works for your kids, and they're happy with it, more power to you.

I was referring to public eduction.

I agree with you on that part, so I didn't quote & respond to that part. Apologies about that misunderstanding. My focus was on your apparent hangup with technology because it "breaks and doesn't work perfectly". I would suggest that technology, sufficiently designed, could do a perfectly good (and reliable) job of teaching the manual concepts you and I both agree are still important. E.g. Kids could trace letters using a stylus pen on touch-screens, or drag-and-drop numbers into positions to do long division by hand. Or play a fun computer game that teaches spelling and grammar.
We did use computer games in the education of our children, and I am not opposed that. Just my thing is the education itself. You must have the basics reading writing and arithmetic, I consider that the foundation for everything else. How one goes about it is up to them, computers are great for some things, not so much for others like practical math used in building things ( we did lots of projects that required measurements and making things.) Calligraphy is a great way to help children learn to write manually better more legibly and have a artistic flair, learning to do it on paper and then in a painting program helps reinforce the lessons. The math games can be quite engaging, and use newly acquired skills and help with speed in their use. I agree computers can be very helpful with the education process, I just want there to be a lot manual learning too. I want to promote flexibility in acquiring information.

Like spelling.
Eeeeek! Computers won't catch a homonym error! And you can't trust spell/grammar-checks either; you have to KNOW!

I won't lie; I truly grieve for the many, many hours I spent in the stacks in grad school...all the paper I ripped out of the typewriter and wadded up into balls...and I LOVE the Internet. I look stuff up continually, and what a miracle to just Google and to have electronic library sharing and etc. Word-processing and the ability to just cut-and-paste!

But when you say that spelling doesn't matter, you're veering into philistine territory. Spelling matters. Cursive writing matters too.

Eeeeek! Computers won't catch a homonym error! And you can't trust spell/grammar-checks either; you have to KNOW!

I won't lie; I truly grieve for the many, many hours I spent in the stacks in grad school...all the paper I ripped out of the typewriter and wadded up into balls...and I LOVE the Internet. I look stuff up continually, and what a miracle to just Google and to have electronic library sharing and etc. Word-processing and the ability to just cut-and-paste!

But when you say that spelling doesn't matter, you're veering into philistine territory. Spelling matters. Cursive writing matters too.
I never said spelling doesn't matter, I said using up all that time on spelling is a waste of time. Kids can learn to spell rather quickly while reading and writing. You can see if a child can spell by reading their papers. You don't need weekly spelling drills, they don't work well at teaching a child to spell. That's been studied for years.

You'll probably hate the way I approach a child's curriculum.

I homeschooled, and my kids all spell better than me. We never had a spelling lesson, not one. Instead my kids wrote stories in clubs through the internet. They made sure they had a story that was well written because it was a reflection of them. They learned whatever they wanted. I wasn't giving weekly tests, or checking there work for errors. They checked it.

My daughter now has a 4.2 gpa and has every year through her university life. She'll graduate with honors in a year as an Engineer. They taught themselves what they needed to know, and with technology that was an easy thing to do. My older daughter is a graphic artists, because she loves art. Spent most of her time perfecting it from a young age. She's landed a great job at a game company in Sweden where her fiancé lives.

One size doesn't fit all. Each student is different, and even my kids differed in their own unique way. The Nordic Countries have a saying, "What ever it takes" and will do whatever they need for each student. Have smaller classrooms, and the same teacher for years. Allow them space and time to learn.

America's "one size fits all approach" is lacking in my opinion. Computers are a must in every classroom because they're apart of daily life now, but if a child doesn't like learning on a computer, then they can try another way. But, to say computers don't catch a homonym is very narrow minded to me. There are a thousand ways to learn grammar. My kids learned it so they wouldn't embarrass themselves in their creative writing clubs, and role playing adventures because they loved it. The computer was just a useful tool to watch instruction. It was efficient.

Cursive writing was never an interest of my children, they never learned it. They've never needed it. If a child wants to learn it, then they will. I don't think it should be required, I think that would be a waste of time. My son has a special interest, pen pals all over the world. He likes traditional mail, so that's what he does. I think it all depends what interests the child has. Then they have the will.

I hope we learn to trust children more, and stop testing them to death. All that's done is take the joy out of learning all these wonderful things and I do hope we stop teaching like we're herding cattle in this country.

:) My approach isn't for everyone. Whatever works.

I think that's responsible. However you can't expect all other parents to do it. Getting their kids to do homework is just a "hassle" for them so they wouldn't care if the kid cheats.

I never said spelling doesn't matter, I said using up all that time on spelling is a waste of time. Kids can learn to spell rather quickly while reading and writing. You can see if a child can spell by reading their papers. You don't need weekly spelling drills, they don't work well at teaching a child to spell. That's been studied for years.

That may work for spelling (and it did for me) but to learn what words MEAN requires something more than just reading the same word in context, over and over.

Consider the widely-misused word "exponential." If the first half dozen times you hear it you think from the context it just means "increasing alarmingly" then you're either confused or uninterested when you later read it in a scientific or mathematical context.

Another word that bothers me but not as much, is "existential." Even in the sense "a threat to the existence of" it is often used hyperbolically. When someone says "a an existential threat to Western culture" I can't take them seriously

Back
Top Bottom