• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Modern Way to Cheat on Homework

As I have posted MANY times, homeschoolers have plenty of opportunities for "socialization." And if you mean by "qualified" you mean parents who have earned a teaching certificate or who hold a Bachelor's, I can only laugh. Most of the curricula need only facilitators. I know both parents who are professionals and hold multiple degrees and those who completed only high school whose children have been very successfully homeschooled (including one of my students who was only 15 and enrolled in engineering at a major university known for its engineering programs on a full-ride plus $50K in scholarships).

You're repeating mistruths from the '80's, frankly.
Yeah, I get a bit tired of the myth that homeschoolers aren't socialized as well. It's not true. I've know very social homeschoolers, and very isolated brick and mortar kids. I think if a homeschooler wasn't social, they weren't going to be any more social at a public school. It's just a personality, not so much dependent on the environment.

My kids had daily interaction with their sibs, play groups, my friends kids, and their own social networking. Not a big deal. The pandemic had way more of an effect on their social lives.

But, it would be nice if public schools served kids on a more individual basis. My kids had issues that were not addressed, and if they were I might have sent them. They went part time for the arts, and P.E.

Chat GPT is in the classrooms already. I had students prepare notes for a chapter. One student handed in a nicely written 3 paragraph essay that didn't include one section of the text chapter.

The giveaway...perfect spelling and grammar. My point however, is that the horse is out of the barn. Time to move away from creating cogs in the machine. My vision is that we go to real computer learning, the kind of learning that can adjust to individual needs in an instant. Teachers? They'll be in the classroom helping individual students as the need arises.

I've had a few students who turn in homework and it's obvious it's not their own work because of the handwriting --- the parent's handwriting. Sometimes the parents get the answers wrong.................. :D

As I have posted MANY times, homeschoolers have plenty of opportunities for "socialization." And if you mean by "qualified" you mean parents who have earned a teaching certificate or who hold a Bachelor's, I can only laugh. Most of the curricula need only facilitators. I know both parents who are professionals and hold multiple degrees and those who completed only high school whose children have been very successfully homeschooled (including one of my students who was only 15 and enrolled in engineering at a major university known for its engineering programs on a full-ride plus $50K in scholarships).

You're repeating mistruths from the '80's, frankly.
And you're describing a homeschool situation that exists in maybe 1 in 10,000 homes that homeschool their kids.

Children do most of their learning in school from teachers and other students, not from the texts.

How fun. /s :)
I spend time regularly talking to them about the 'falseness' of school life and the appearance of the real world that is rushing towards them. A second career teacher, I just want to scream when teachers are blamed for the state of our public education.

I see a bell curve in my students. A small amount that are uninterested in anything, a small amount that are interested in everything, and a large majority of students that are just like I was in HS. Getting along, more interested in the social aspect of school but will likely do just fine when they leave.

So that way your student can avoid socialization and qualified teachers?

Interesting assumptions.

Would you agree that, if it turned out that home schooled students, statistically, are more likely to show indicators of better socialization and academic performance, would that invalidate those assumptions, or would you stick to them because damn-the-evidence-I-Know-What-I-Think. ?

Interesting assumptions.

Would you agree that, if it turned out that home schooled students, statistically, are more likely to show indicators of better socialization and academic performance, would that invalidate those assumptions, or would you stick to them because damn-the-evidence-I-Know-What-I-Think. ?
Of course I believe statistics. I also have life experience involving said students. The study that I have seen promoting this outcome used a very homogenous population. What do you have?

So that way your student can avoid socialization and qualified teachers?

Schools are not a health socialization mechanism. The family and friend model is.
Teachers at the grade school level with educational degrees is generally just not needed. Most high school course don't need this either.

Hope this helps!

Schools are not a health socialization mechanism. The family and friend model is.
Teachers at the grade school level with educational degrees is generally just not needed. Most high school course don't need this either.

Hope this helps!
I guess you don't know much about students experiences in school.

Are you saying that teachers are an unneeded aspect of schools?

The clown is the one posting this...
"Teachers at the grade school level with educational degrees is generally just not needed. Most high school course don't need this either."

Show me how I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom