• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Modern Monetary Theory (MMT): How Fiat Money Works

The difference is that in your case, the government has stepped in and declared, "Legally, banks must follow this regulation." But the thing that banks must do is just a regulation, and is not operationally necessary. Just like bond issuance does not operationally enable a government to issue currency, reserves do not operationally enable a bank to create loans.

If that regulation is in place, then banks would "need" to obtain reserves, and reserves would need to be available. This is the same reasoning we use when we say that the government must spend money into the economy before they can tax it away - it's only because of the system that is in place, where when you write a check to the government, they get "paid" in pre-existing reserves. But before the Fed existed, the government accepted bank-created money, and they used it just like we all use dollars.

I get your point that a system could be created where we don't need this or that, but in the system that we actually DO have, some MB must exist before any horizontal/low powered/endogenous money can be created.

If you want to discuss fantasy monetary systems, or a way to build a better monetary system than what we have, I can see several possible HUGE advantages of having a money supply that is entirely exogenously created. I can only think of one minor advantage of a system our money supply is entirely endogenous. Maybe I should start a new thread on that because I think we are both getting tired of arguing about the exact process in which endogenous money is created

This is something everyone should read to understand how things actually work.
Modern Monetary Theory (MMT): How Fiat Money Works - The Daily Reckoning

Here is what needs to be understood:

That's nice, but here's another truth: Fiat money is only money as long as the People believe in it. If they lose faith in the soundness of the dollar, the dollar is done.

This goes along with what Mosler admitted: there are constraints and consequences when the gov't "prints" too much currency.

That's nice, but here's another truth: Fiat money is only money as long as the People believe in it. If they lose faith in the soundness of the dollar, the dollar is done.

This goes along with what Mosler admitted: there are constraints and consequences when the gov't "prints" too much currency.
No mmter denies any of that. But that doesn't mean that the government can't or shouldn't print more and tax less. Most of our money is endogenously created, exogenous (gov created money) is only a very small percent of our money supply. Endogenously created money allows our money supply to expand or contract to meet the demand for money, when there is more exo money, there is simply less endo money created, and thus there is little chance of the government over printing. There is lots of room for more gov created money and lots of tax cuts for the middle class.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No mmter denies any of that. But that doesn't mean that the government can't or shouldn't print more and tax less. Most of our money is endogenously created, exogenous (gov created money) is only a very small percent of our money supply. Endogenously created money allows our money supply to expand or contract to meet the demand for money, when there is more exo money, there is simply less endo money created, and thus there is little chance of the government over printing. There is lots of room for more gov created money and lots of tax cuts for the middle class.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'mma have to bow out of the conversation. While I get the gist, I have no firm opinions at this level of discussion on economics. Too much like voodoo for me, sorry. :)

I'mma have to bow out of the conversation. While I get the gist, I have no firm opinions at this level of discussion on economics. Too much like voodoo for me, sorry. :)

I think it's more like math than voodoo.

Back
Top Bottom