• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Moderators Wanted

Chuz Life

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I think it would be great for this site to have moderated debates on as many issues as possible. Believe it or not, I have views on many subjects, not just abortion...

But, the abortion issue is one that I believe this site would have the most difficult time finding a moderator for a moderated debate.

So, I'm just throwing it out there,....

"Is it possible for someone to be a fair and impartial moderator on an issue like abortion?" For any issue?

I believe that I (in spite of my personal views) could be a fair an impartial moderator. Even on the abortion issue.

Anyone else?

I think it would be great for this site to have moderated debates on as many issues as possible. Believe it or not, I have views on many subjects, not just abortion...

But, the abortion issue is one that I believe this site would have the most difficult time finding a moderator for a moderated debate.

"Is it possible for someone to be a fair and impartial moderator on an issue like abortion?" For any issue?

I believe that I (in spite of my personal views) could be a fair an impartial moderator. Even on the abortion issue.

Anyone else?

I agree. I totally think they ought to make you a moderator.
The idea of you having access to all of our IP addresses sounds like a terrific plan.
Who could possibly raise any reasonable objection to it?

I agree. I totally think they ought to make you a moderator.
The idea of you having access to all of our IP addresses sounds like a terrific plan.
Who could possibly raise any reasonable objection to it?

A moderator as in referee dear,... Not as a site mod or admin.

:doh

Anyone else?
Once upon a time DP had a section called "True Debates" where the standards were much higher than the rest of the website and which truly did offer an outcome with finality as to who won or lost said debate. Sadly it was little used as most posters who posed at being about "true debate" feared to tread there due to the public accountability said required. The winners actually got medals for their profiles (see Jerry's sidebar for examples of them) and special moderators were not needed. Sadly that feature went the way of the dodo bird, but as it was little utilized I can understand why the admin scrapped it.

Once upon a time DP had a section called "True Debates" where the standards were much higher than the rest of the website and which truly did offer an outcome with finality as to who won or lost said debate. Sadly it was little used as most posters who posed at being about "true debate" feared to tread there due to the public accountability said required. The winners actually got medals for their profiles (see Jerry's sidebar for examples of them) and special moderators were not needed. Sadly that feature went the way of the dodo bird, but as it was little utilized I can understand why the admin scrapped it.

I understand all that,... But as I said in the suggestion and feedback thread,... I think it would be a fun way for the site to raise funds by having a moderated debate forum,... where the loser would be required to pony up some cash on the winners behalf,.... or maybe risk getting a temp ban if he/she refuses.

I don't know.

I guess it's because I've never been in a "true debate" where the questions are posed by a moderator and answers evaluated,.... that it kind of intrigues me.

I understand all that,... But as I said in the suggestion and feedback thread,... I think it would be a fun way for the site to raise funds by having a moderated debate forum,... where the loser would be required to pony up some cash on the winners behalf,.... or maybe risk getting a temp ban if he/she refuses.

I don't know.

I guess it's because I've never been in a "true debate" where the questions are posed by a moderator and answers evaluated,.... that it kind of intrigues me.
The "true debate" rules were more than adequate for your proposal, no need for moderators to ask questions. Much less they would hardly have time for that kind of thing. Also IMO if posters were not willing to put their rep on the line for some free internet "medals" very few will be willing to do so for *real* money. But I admit your idea does intrigue me. If there was a panel of *liberal* and *conservative* moderators/refs/judges with equal voting power, perhaps some few would consent to the contest. In the end, I think the old "true debate" forum was a more desirable approach to the same end. Your suggestion is IMO far too problematic.:mrgreen:

The true debates forum was that complicated? Why didn't they have it so anyone can propose a thread that was limited to certain people and have the mods infract all the posts in the thread except those by the debaters?

The true debates forum was that complicated? Why didn't they have it so anyone can propose a thread that was limited to certain people and have the mods infract all the posts in the thread except those by the debaters?

No it was not complicated at all, two posters went head to head on an agreed upon topic and a "winner" was selected. No others were allowed in thread, easy breezy.

No it was not complicated at all, two posters went head to head on an agreed upon topic and a "winner" was selected. No others were allowed in thread, easy breezy.

I say let's bring it back and make it some form of 'pay as you go' to help fund the site.

Maybe making the entire thread 'subscriber only' to make even more funds and to keep some of the 'noise makers' (those not interested in productive debate) from disrupting as much.

I would be interested in moderating if that's something the site would do. I could see how it could be helpful

Last edited:
You can't be serious.

Anyone else?

I have no idea how this thread eluded me. Forum-specific moderation is an issue that the mod team has discussed before. Currently, it is not on the table.

Two further things. This thread is not appropriate for the Abortion Forum. I am moving it to Feedback/Suggestions. Also, I will caution people about personal attacks, right now.

I do not think you could be fair and impartial on the issue of abortion.

That's because you haven't tested me.

Ask Digs, Goshin, Jerry about some of the disagreements we have had on the abortion issue.

I admire them and respect them a lot,... I consider them friends. But when we disagree with one another, we don't hold it back.

I would be a very fair moderator. And frankly, I believe all three of them would be as well.

Last edited:

Ask Digs, Goshin, Jerry about some of the disagreements we have had on the abortion issue.

I admire them and respect them a lot,... I consider them friends. But when we disagree with one another, we don't hold it back.

I would be a very fair moderator. And frankly, I believe all three of them would be as well.

Those three are all pro-life, Chuz.

Using them as examples of people you've disagreed with in order to present evidence that you would be "fair" despite your biases is not going to be especially convincing to people from the opposite end of the debate.

You'd need to cite peopel from the pro-choice side to present convincing evidence that you'd be fair.

Just sayin'.

Chuz said he left debate-politics about four days ago. - Well. No more posting anyway. He did thank somebody for attacking me in a thread.

I am a moderator on another site. It is possible to be fair and impartial, if you moderate based on incidents of rule breaking, rather than basing it on personal feelings about individuals or the topic in question. I am not saying it is easy to do this though.

I have no idea how this thread eluded me. Forum-specific moderation is an issue that the mod team has discussed before. Currently, it is not on the table.

I think forum specific moderation can work, but not if you stick to this rigid notion that "Balance" requires the selection of opposing forces. In the most contentious forums, that would just be a recipe for disaster. If you could somehow find moderators who are more neutral on the subject, however, it might work -- at least if you cold find those who are actually somewhat neutral rather than those who play the game of expressing strongly biased views while claiming simultaneously that they aren't.

If you could somehow find moderators who are more neutral on the subject, however, it might work -- at least if you cold find those who are actually somewhat neutral rather than those who play the game of expressing strongly biased views while claiming simultaneously that they aren't.

When I have a situation to moderate, I generally claim neutrality. But, what I mean is neutrality while I am dealing with the situation, rather than neutrality about the topic all the time. It is basically temporary neutrality, to allow me to intervene in a situation and be fair to all involved, as well as to choose the optimal outcome for the site in general under the particular circumstance.

I seriously doubt, that folks who are neurtal about political topics could be found on this site, and even if they were, one has to have some interest in the site topics, in order to want to spend the time on the site, that moderating takes.

Sorry to necro,... but.

Those three are all pro-life, Chuz.

Using them as examples of people you've disagreed with in order to present evidence that you would be "fair" despite your biases is not going to be especially convincing to people from the opposite end of the debate.

You'd need to cite peopel from the pro-choice side to present convincing evidence that you'd be fair.

Just sayin'.

My point in mentioning Digs and Goshin and Jerry is precisely because (while they are also against elective abortion) we have our share of disagreements as well,.. and we are not hesitant to point out our differences when and where we have them. (The rape exception most comes to mind).

That's why I mentioned them by name.

By the way,.... where's Jerry been?

Back
Top Bottom