• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MLK would be alarmed by black-on-black violence, lack of family values

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By Ben Carson
8/28/2013

It is hard to believe that 50 years have elapsed since the famous “I have a dream speech” of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on the Mall in Washington. I was an 11-year-old child in Detroit languishing in the midst of poverty, but very interested in the strides that were being made in the civil rights movement. I was the only black kid in my seventh-grade class and over the previous two years had risen from the bottom of the class to the top. My mother had forced us to read, which had a profound positive effect on both my brother Curtis and myself. I was quite optimistic that things were getting better for black people in America.

If King could be resurrected and see what was going on in America today, I suspect he would be extraordinarily pleased by many of the things he observed and disappointed by others. He, like almost everyone else, would be thrilled to know that there was a two-term black president of the United States of America and a black attorney general, as well as many other high government officials, business executives and university presidents.

Perhaps just as thrilling would be the sight of black doctors, lawyers, airline pilots, construction foremen, news anchors, school superintendents and almost any other position imaginable in America...

*snip*

There are some areas, however, where I suspect he might be less than thrilled. The epidemic of black-on-black violent crime indicates that there has been a significant deterioration of values in the black community. Not only are the lives of their fellow blacks and others being devalued by street thugs, but the lives of unborn babies are being destroyed in disproportionate numbers in the black community.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Ben Carson: MLK would be alarmed by black-on-black violence, lack of family values - Washington Times

If Obama were judged by the famous words of Martin Luther King Jr. "Judging a person on the content of his character not the content of his skin". Our president would be considered an abject failure.

MLK was transitioning toward a social movement against poverty to bring the races together post civil rights, so yeah he would definitely not have been content with the race mongering that continues to this day.

MLK was transitioning toward a social movement against poverty to bring the races together post civil rights, so yeah he would definitely not have been content with the race mongering that continues to this day.

Very profound. Would you say then that MLK would be fighting against the very people that today are outright race baiting hoes?

Very profound. Would you say then that MLK would be fighting against the very people that today are outright race baiting hoes?

Well he would be in his 80's so I imagine his focus would have shifted by now, but probably. I am sure that he would have not let rich, white liberal atheist dictate public policy to those who are not those things without a fight. I am guessing his message would be more along the lines of what Bill Cosby's has been as to blacks--take responsibility for your own damn life.

Well he would be in his 80's so I imagine his focus would have shifted by now, but probably. I am sure that he would have not let rich, white liberal atheist dictate public policy to those who are not those things without a fight. I am guessing his message would be more along the lines of what Bill Cosby's has been as to blacks--take responsibility for your own damn life.

You may be right, although IMHO I believe that MLK would have continued his ideological theme of non-violence, unity, and equality of all people while keeping away from Marxist ideology which leads to envy and violence as you readily described. As Mr. Lewis said today, "We all live in one house now. Not, Black, Not White, Not Native Indian and not Asian." (paraphrased).
Funny not one speaker mentioned the horrendous Black unemployment of the passed 4 years under Obama, the disastrous destruction of the Black family, and the high murder rates of Black on Black crime, including the criminal loss and lack of the education of all our children today in the favor of more unionization of teachers.

Back
Top Bottom